Windows 10: setting file permissions

Discus and support setting file permissions in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is there a way of doing "chmod 600" and "chmod 700" on Windows 10? I need to set these permissions for the key pair I need to make ssh passwordless.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jay89023, Feb 12, 2021.

1. setting file permissions

Is there a way of doing "chmod 600" and "chmod 700" on Windows 10?

I need to set these permissions for the key pair I need to make ssh passwordless. I've looked at answers posted here but none are very recent and seems very manual and tedious. There is no command?

Ideally, I was hoping for a command so I can include it in a script and automate it. But if the only way to go is through doing it manually, then that is ok. Could anyone help me out?

submitted by /u/Jay89023
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Jay89023, Feb 12, 2021

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Feb 12, 2021
  3. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Feb 12, 2021
  4. setting file permissions

Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

setting file permissions

1. setting file permissions - Similar Threads - setting file permissions

2. Permission settings hosts file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission settings hosts file: Hi all,Can anyone tell me what the default permissions are for the windows hosts file.I am talking about:1 ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES2 ALL RESTRICTED PACKAGES3 Users device name\UsersI have 1 set to:Read & executeRead2 is set to:Read & executeRead3 is set to:Read & executeReadI...
  3. Permission settings hosts file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission settings hosts file: Hi all,Can anyone tell me what the default permissions are for the windows hosts file.I am talking about:1 ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES2 ALL RESTRICTED PACKAGES3 Users device name\UsersI have 1 set to:Read & executeRead2 is set to:Read & executeRead3 is set to:Read & executeReadI...
  4. Permission settings hosts file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. File permissions

File permissions: hello,I am trying to create files in the python folder in the screen shot at the end of this question. However, when I try to you can guess what happensand when I click continue now I have already tried to fix this first by applying the below method directly to the folder...
  6. File Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Permissions: I need help. A few months ago, since my friends were using my PC, I made a separate guest account for them in my PC and denied them permissions to some of the files in my PC. But, now even though I'm logged in through my administrator account, I'm not able to access or...
  7. File Permissions

File Permissions: I'm trying to write a python script to rename and copy some files from one directory to another. My files are stored in C:\DATA\subfolders When I work on these files with other apps they can be opened and modified. When I try to run my python script which is located in...
  8. file permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file permissions: I cant access a photo folder or the photos It tells me i do not have permission it was copied to a drive so that i could open it on a new win 10 PC i have tried all avenues which the pC recommends Moved from: Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Microsoft 365 Family...
  9. Do not have permission to access a set of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Do not have permission to access a set of files: There is a set of Jpeg files that I can't get access to. When I attempt to open one the photos app gives me a message saying "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" I have changed the permissions by going to...
  10. Inheriting permissions setting

Inheriting permissions setting: Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator setting until I turn off the inheriting permissions setting. How do I find and turn off the inherited permissions setting on...