Windows 10: Setting File type descriptions

Discus and support Setting File type descriptions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays. In the 'good' old days this could easily be done. But it obviously was too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Erikvan Roon, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Setting File type descriptions

Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays.
    In the 'good' old days this could easily be done.
    But it obviously was too user-friendly so it got removed.

I know the NirSoft tool FileTypesMan which is often recommended for this, as in the answers to this:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/587d872e-3063-44dd-a2e9-dbec02ca657d

But it just isn't good enough.
    Changing the description of a file type applies that description to all file types associated with the same application.

As a database developer I work with all sorts of text files, and my editor of choice is UltraEdit.
    So associated with ultraedit I have for example apart from standard *.txt etc. sql files *.sql and package files *.pck, *.pcs, *.pcb and table creation files *.tab and output files *.lis, *.lst etc etc etc.

Now if I use FileTypesMan to change the description of, let's say, *.pcb to be "Package Body" then suddenly my *.txt are also "Package Body" as is *.sql etc etc etc.

Why?
    And more importantly: How do I get this done properly.

:)

Erikvan Roon, Apr 15, 2020

2. Editing File Icon and Type Description

This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer?

For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a description under the "Type" column, such as "File folder" for a directory and "Text Document" for a .txt file. As an example, I have associated
    .pdf files with Google Chrome as the default program for opening it. They have the Chrome logo as the icon and "Chrome HTML Document" under the "Type" column, which is a little misleading. How would I change the icon to, say, a document icon from C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,
    and the type description to something more sensible like "PDF Document"?

I have tried to edit the registry directly via the Registry Editor that comes with Windows, editing the "(default)" entries of the relevant file types in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts,
    then restarting explorer.exe each time I make a change. However, nothing seems to have changed when I opened File Explorer again. Searching through past questions on similar issues did not give me any solutions either.

Thanks.

Note that this is not a question on:

• changing or displaying file extension;
    • changing default programs; nor
    • changing the column layout in File Explorer.

System information:

• Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    • Administrator account

Julian Ting, Apr 15, 2020
  3. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

Hello everyone

I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web Document", but I would like to change the File Type for HTML files to "HTML file" and for HTM files to "HTM file".

In Windows 7 I used a utility called Default Programs Editor, but that utility doesn't quite work on Windows 10 anymore. I have some file types here that do not show up in the list of registered file types, which I want to change. For example, I have WSXZ files which are opened by a program called SDL, and the "File Type" according to Windows 10 is "SDL WSXZ Document", but I would like to change that to "WSXZ Forward Package File".

How can I do this? Is there an easy way to do it?

Thanks
    Samuel

ugcheleuce, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Setting File type descriptions

Wrong File Type Description for a couple file types

Hi Andy,

The file type being displayed in File Explorer is affected by the default program association of the file. In this case, we reproduced the issue on our end and found out that if both
    .vcf and .vcs files are associated with Outlook, it does indeed show the wrong file descriptions. Both files are not affected and can still be opened normally using Outlook.

However, if you change the associated program with the .vcf file to the
    People
    app, it'll show VCF file instead, as can be seen below:

Setting File type descriptions 05ca7c14-28d9-463e-82f5-f0325dc08302.png

If you change the associated program to Windows Contacts, the file description changes to
    VCard file:

Setting File type descriptions d9d5c944-e0a2-42db-97b9-b45697f8e806.png

Lastly, if you change the .vcs file association to Notepad, the file description changes to
    VCS file instead of vCard file:

Setting File type descriptions c97f8925-ba9a-472a-88d1-b3103b16962d.png

You can change the file association by following these steps:

• Right-click the file and choose Properties.
    • Click Change and choose a different program.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.

If the files can be opened properly by your preferred Mail/Calendar program, you can continue using it. Our developers and engineers would definitely benefit from learning about wrong file descriptions that you encountered with Windows 10. We encourage you
    to submit this using the Feedback Hub so that they could consider correcting this in a future update.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.

2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.

3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.

4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.

5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.

6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.

7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).

8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.

9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like Redirection Tools<unique link>).

Let us know if you need further assistance with your computer.

Yolvi Ell, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Setting File type descriptions

1. Setting File type descriptions - Similar Threads - Setting File type

2. Documentation with descriptions on all possible column types in Windows 10 File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documentation with descriptions on all possible column types in Windows 10 File Explorer?: Is there any documentation that explains all the different possible column types there are for Windows 10 File Explorer? See screenshot below.This all started because I was trying to find a way to color code individual files in a directory, and discovered there's a "Color"...
  3. Documentation with descriptions on all possible column types in Windows 10 File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documentation with descriptions on all possible column types in Windows 10 File Explorer?: Is there any documentation that explains all the different possible column types there are for Windows 10 File Explorer? See screenshot below.This all started because I was trying to find a way to color code individual files in a directory, and discovered there's a "Color"...
  4. Windows 10 file description - see description

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 file description - see description: the picture is taken from the start button. does anyone know how to change it back. windows 10 pro version 2004 (os build 19041.985) 179644
  5. Bootloader description set as "ubuntu"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bootloader description set as "ubuntu": Hello there, Recently I tried out Ubuntu by dual booting it alongside Windows 10. Later I figured that I don't really need Ubuntu and that it's not really an OS for me so I've removed it. The problem is that bootloader still has description set as "ubuntu". Will that in any...
  6. Set default app for .file type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  7. Setting File Explorer types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting File Explorer types: How do I set multiple file extensions for one file type? Since this new version of file explorer requires you to select from a list of file types, how do I modify this list?...
  8. Editing File Icon and Type Description

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing File Icon and Type Description: This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer? For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a...
  9. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?: I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible; In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that...
  10. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files: Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to have different file descriptions for different text files