Windows 10: Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest

Discus and support Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I use a custom DPI of 150% . But I'd like to keep only my lock screen at its 100% DPI/zoom. Is that possible? Please help.. 13091 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sasha007, Aug 4, 2015.

1. sasha007 Win User

Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest

Hi,

I use a custom DPI of 150% . But I'd like to keep only my lock screen at its 100% DPI/zoom.

Is that possible?

Please help..

:)

sasha007, Aug 4, 2015

2. Dual Monitor Issues

Screensaver: What DPI is your system set to use? Sounds like that particular screensaver might not be DPI-aware. Does a different screensaver work correctly?

Lock Screen: Yes, that's by design. No, not at this time.

zachd [MSFT], Aug 4, 2015
  3. Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

Hello Jayant and thank you for your reply.

As described in the threads you provided I updated my graphics drivers (though they were already on the latest version) and tried changing my screen resolution back and forth. Neither helped the situation sadly.

The solution that suggested editing the registry seems to be aimed at disabling DPI scaling for specific applications. However, this is not my aim as disabling DPI scaling would indeed remove blurring but text would stay unreadably small.

The Windows Dev Center article did confirm two things for me.

• There are DPI-unaware applications which will be scaled up by Windows making them appear blurry. This behaviour is correct as described in the Windows Dev Center article and as seen in the first image of the following article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race/3
      These applications are not the problem I am describing, we cannot expect Windows to magically show DPI-unaware applications in high detail. An example of a DPI-unaware application is
      Sublime Text 2 and the older version of VLC as shown in the AnAndTech article.
    • There are DPI-aware applications which experience blurring when there are two differing DPI scaling settings present. The application blurring occurs on the screen with the lower DPI scale. I do not know the behaviour when there are more than two screens
      with more than two differing DPI scales present. Examples of DPI-aware applications are Google Chrome and Visual Studio 2015.
    A little experiment

Lets look at an example of bullet point 2 using screenshots of Google Chrome rendering a webpage. The screenshots were made using the Windows screenshot functionality and cropped in paint.net.

Image 1 - Correct DPI/scaling on HD screen

The first image is an example of proper DPI on the 1920x1080 (HD) screen. The 3840x2060 (UHD) is also connected, but DPI scaling is disabled (set to 100%) for both screens. In this scenario everything displays as expected, but let me remind you that this
    is not a solution because at 100% DPI scale text on the 27" UHD screen is too small, as mentioned)

Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest [​IMG]

Image 2 - Incorrect DPI/scaling on HD screen

This second image taken from the same HD screen is clearly more blurry than the first image. In this scenario the DPI scaling for the UHD monitor has been set to 150% (and the user account has been logged out and in as recommended by Windows when changing
    the setting). It appears that the scaling for the UHD monitor somehow affects the render on the HD screen, despite it having in fact the same settings as in the previous image. The blurring effect occurs in other applications like VS2015 and Windows Explorer
    as well.

Image 3 - Correct DPI/scaling on UHD screen

The third and last screenshot is taken with the same settings as image 2, but from the UHD screen. As expected this image is larger because Windows requested from Google Chrome to render 150% pixels for the same area of the application to keep my eyes happy.
    This and the first image assert that Chrome is a DPI-aware application which can indeed render sharp images at different DPI scales.

An interesting side note is that DPI-unaware applications do render at the prober 100% DPI scale without blurring when displayed on the HD screen with the settings used in image 2 and 3.

I hope this clears up what my concerns are because I can't get much more detailed than this. Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest :)

Herman Groenenboom, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest

1. Setting lock screen DPI different from the rest - Similar Threads - Setting lock screen

2. Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?: I've had a problem very occasionally with some programs that don't take into account that some people will select a different DPI setting and their text spills over so its not visible. Thankfully this is rare. But I just noticed when I changed from 150% to 145% there was a...
  3. Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is there a huge difference in DPI settings between 145% and 150%?: I've had a problem very occasionally with some programs that don't take into account that some people will select a different DPI setting and their text spills over so its not visible. Thankfully this is rare. But I just noticed when I changed from 150% to 145% there was a...
  4. How to set different values for screen timeout and screen lock?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set different values for screen timeout and screen lock?: I want to assign different values to screen timeout and to screen lock. i.e. I want the screen to timeout after 10 minutes but activate the screen lock after 1 hour. Right now I do not see an option to do so. You can only make it lock at the same time it timeouts, or not at...
  5. DPI Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    DPI Settings: Yesterday I realised that Windows recommend to have the DPI settings at 125% I know that they have changed the whole DPI system in the creators update, but I wonder if there is an article that explain why the setting 125% and not 100% is recommended?...
  6. DPI setting for logon screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    DPI setting for logon screen: This seems to be a simple question, but I haven't found a straightforward answer in here: How do I change the DPI setting that Windows uses on the logon screen (say, right after a restart, before a user has logged in), so that it matches the user's DPI setting? The reason I...
  7. 10074 DPI settings??

in Windows 10 Support
    10074 DPI settings??: I cannot figure out where the DPI settings have gone in this version, and google is not helping either. No matter what I change, everything is staying small. Anyone know where they have moved this configuration? 5975
  8. A way to set different DPI settings for various apps?

in Windows 10 Support
    A way to set different DPI settings for various apps?: Just wondering if this is possible, I mainly keep my computer hooked up to my TV and my scaling is set to 125%, generally this is fine for everything, however there are some apps (particularly, Readily, from the windows store) that could be at 150% or so. Is there a way to...
  9. How do I set different DPI scaling for different monitors, and KEEP it

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I set different DPI scaling for different monitors, and KEEP it: I have a Surface Pro 4 running the latest update of Windows10, and a LG Ultrawide monitor. I have set the display settings manually, and I have reviewed them using the regedit -- and everything works fine and I'm happy with the settings: I have the Surface Pro display set...
  10. DPI Settings Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    DPI Settings Not Working: We just got our first Surface Pro 4 tablet in. I'm working on testing it now. For the moment, I have it docked and connected to two 19" monitors. The desktop is extended across all 3 screens. I have the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" settings as follows:...