Windows 10: Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key

Discus and support Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm trying to set the permissions of a registry key from the command line. Easy to do in regedit, but this is all part of a system customization... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wobitancrawfodi, May 18, 2020.

1. Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key

I'm trying to set the permissions of a registry key from the command line. Easy to do in regedit, but this is all part of a system customization script.

The command line is;

regini -h HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\fileexts\.txt\userchoice [1 5 7] test.txt

But it fails with;

REGINI: Failed to load from file '5' (3)

[1 5 7] are the permissions I'm trying to set, and test.txt contains;

ProgID = REG_SZ Applications\notepad++.exe

(Key name, type and the value I'm trying to set)

Windows 10 1809; Regini /? for help.

What am I doing wrong?

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, May 18, 2020

2. Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key

I'm trying to set the permissions of a registry key from the command line. Easy to do in regedit, but this is all part of a system customization script.

The command line is;

regini -h HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\fileexts\.txt\userchoice [1 5 7] test.txt

But it fails with;

REGINI: Failed to load from file '5' (3)

[1 5 7] are the permissions I'm trying to set, and test.txt contains;

ProgID = REG_SZ Applications\notepad++.exe

(Key name, type and the value I'm trying to set)

Windows 10 1809; Regini /? for help.

What am I doing wrong?

Wobitancrawfodi, May 18, 2020
  3. Change the default action for .reg files

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Even though it warns you twice before it merges the changes, it can't hurt to set the default to be Notepad instead.

One way to accomplish this is shown below, but in testing I discovered that this takes away the merge option from the context menu. This means that if you want to actually import a reg file after doing this, you would have to open Registry Editor and choose
    File > Import
    to do it.

1) Settings > Apps > Default Apps

2) Click Choose defaults by file type

3) Scroll down to the .reg entry and click it to change the default to Notepad

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 18, 2020
  4. ct5098 Win User

Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key

Text Editor on Webpage

I'm creating a website that requires an advanced text editor, similar to the word processor in Google docs. I'm planning on creating the editor from scratch, but I'm not sure what language to use. I was thinking of using a Java applet, but I'm open to other suggestions. Some of the features that are required are highlighting and drawing (such as Microsoft Paint). Any suggestions would be helpful.

ct5098, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key

1. Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key - Similar Threads - Setting Notepad++ default

2. Is it possible to change (Default) value with a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change (Default) value with a .reg file?: I am trying to change (Default) value of "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command" to easily edit with Krita. Actually, I did it manually, but when I try to create a .rig file of it to run after format etc. It doesn't work. This is what I...
  3. Set Kate Text editor as default app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Set Kate Text editor as default app: I installed text editor kate using the windows 10 store. Kate does not show in the options to set default app for text files, I can't go to the location to manually set it because windows is blocking me from accessing windows store app folder Windowsapp. How can I access the...
  4. Notepad default print settings changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notepad default print settings changes: I have fixed notepad print settings using administrator login, now when I log in to standard user this settings changes and reset to default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-default-print-settings-changes/03026f9e-d6ad-4d4d-ba38-2d34b6197cb6
  5. How to Change Default JSON Editor in Windows Terminal Settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Change Default JSON Editor in Windows Terminal Settings?: I newly installed Windows Terminal after downloading it directly from Microsoft Store. Due to being complete novice I clicked on the drop down arrow, selected "Settings" and mistakenly set the default JSON Editor as "open in web browser". So now every time when I click on...
  6. changing key in reg

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing key in reg: Tried to change the key in directx. Message New Key#1 entered new key following this message. Hit enter. Closed directx and the old key number was still listed. What do I need to do?...
  7. change default key settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    change default key settings: Recently I've been having issues with my keyboard, out of nowhere my right arrow key is now set to the windows key and I can't figure out how to change it back, if anybody could help me out that would be great....
  8. Bat File to change notepad text

in Windows 10 Support
    Bat File to change notepad text: Hi, I've been trying to make a batch file to change a line fo text in a .txt file, to the .bat files current directory. for example running it would produce this result: Run .Bat line of text in file changes to the current directory of .bat Anyone know any help with...
  9. Change Notepad as my primary image editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Notepad as my primary image editor: Recently, I removed paint.net from my computer because I didn't want it to be the primary image editor that opened my image files. When I did that, Notepad occupied that primary, image-opening position. I don't want to remove Notepad from my computer; I just want it to stop...
  10. set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor

in Windows 10 Support
    set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor: Do you know how to set the AutoPlay defaults with the registry editor? For example, I would prefer the default to be set to "Open a folder to view files (File Explorer) for "Removable Drive" and "Memory Card," but I don't exactly know how to set this in the registry editor...