Windows 10: Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting

Discus and support Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone, so I have a lenovo z50-75 laptop with latest windows 10 pro installed and when I try to set the "Number of CPUs" to max cores of my CPU,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Abu Asatur, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting

Hi everyone, so I have a lenovo z50-75 laptop with latest windows 10 pro installed and when I try to set the "Number of CPUs" to max cores of my CPU, my system fails starting gets stuck on the windows logo and the loading circle never shows up any idea why is this happening?

Here are my specs:

Windows: Win 10 Pro Edition 64bit 10.0, Build 19042

CPU: AMD FX-7500 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C + 6G 4 CPUs ~ 2.1Ghz

Manufacturer: Lenovo

Model: Lenovo z50-75

RAM: 8gb

DirectX: 12

Thanks!

:)

Abu Asatur, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Xaycent Win User

Advanced boot settings

Hey, I was in msconfig in boot settings I went to advanced settings then I changed the number of processor to 1 then I click apply and restarted my pc, when it started I logged on went to boot settings advanced settings and when I clicked on the number of
    proccessors drop down list it shows 1 only, before I changed the number of processors I had 4 but I don't know why it wont show up it only shows up 1 it would be really appreciated if someone can tell me how I can make it to 4. is there any way to undo?

Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting 418484c6-c60c-4405-b4f3-37622e92976b?upload=true.png

Xaycent, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Windows 10 fails to start after setting number of processors in advanced boot options

Hi Al,

I did something stupid and can no longer get into my computer....

I have a hp elitebook 8760W with 16GB of RAM. When doing renderings, I noticed that it never uses more than 4GB of memory, even when all 4 cores (8 logical processors) are maxed out at 100%.

Googling the topic, I came up with a suggestion of going into advanced boot options and checking the memory checkbox, forcing the use of 16GB rather than unchecked (auto).

While there, (and here comes the stupid part) I also checked the number of processors checkbox. Not knowing if it refers to physical processors, number of cores or logical processors, I went "safe" and selected 1.

The computer rebooted fine, but on running task manager again, it revealed that I was still running less than 4GB RAM and now only one processor, instead of 8. So back I went and unchecked the checkbox for the number of processors. All subsequent attempts
    to boot into windows failed and all I get is a blue screen with:

Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting :( your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. (100$ complete)

if you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

I also tried restoring to a previous restore point, by that failed as well.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Pieter

Pieter le Roux, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Hood Win User

Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting

New Secondary Drive Causes Boot Failure Windows 10

For the second time now, Windows 10 failed to boot after initializing and formatting a spare drive (using Windows Disk Management). After the boot fail, UEFI boot settings were still set to boot from Windows Boot Manager, but it still wouldn't boot, just goes into diagnostic mode, fails to repair boot problem, and goes to the repair menu. In advanced options I can then load a recent image (made with Windows 7 Backup and Recovery in control panel), and everything goes back to normal. My question is what causes this problem, and how do I repair it without re-imaging Windows? I don't recall ever having this problem in other Windows versions, only in Windows 10. Anyone else notice this problem?

Hood, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting

1. Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting - Similar Threads - Setting number processor

2. Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options: Hi,I have a 2013 Dell XPS 8700 which while trying to remove a glitch, I may have messed up in the Advanced Boot Option,I am looking for some sort of automatic reset to the correct values - or guidance of what to enter as correct values.Below I show info regarding CPU plus a...
  3. Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options: Hi,I have a 2013 Dell XPS 8700 which while trying to remove a glitch, I may have messed up in the Advanced Boot Option,I am looking for some sort of automatic reset to the correct values - or guidance of what to enter as correct values.Below I show info regarding CPU plus a...
  4. Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't access Advanced Boot Settings

Can't access Advanced Boot Settings: I'm having issues accessing advanced boot settings to recover my PC.System is a Dell XPS 7590Issues originally started when the battery failed and the laptop produced an INACCESSIBLE _BOOT_DEVICE error. After some digging, and attempting to walk the system back one update...
  6. Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options

Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options: Hi there. So I recently upgraded my os system to Windows 11 and I saw many people taking about changing the number of processors to the number to cores on the processor in advanced boot option. And some advised against it. So I was wondering should I change it to the number...
  7. Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options: Hi there. So I recently upgraded my os system to Windows 11 and I saw many people taking about changing the number of processors to the number to cores on the processor in advanced boot option. And some advised against it. So I was wondering should I change it to the number...
  8. My Laptop Will not Boot After Setting Processor number to 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Laptop Will not Boot After Setting Processor number to 8: ACER SPIN 5 INTEL CORE I7 INTEL IRIS PLUS GRAPHICS 16 GB Ram I restarted my computer and keep getting blue screen of death with tcpip.sys error and tried alot of automatic repair options can i change number of processors with command prompt? please help...
  9. Advanced boot settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advanced boot settings: Hey, I was in msconfig in boot settings I went to advanced settings then I changed the number of processor to 1 then I click apply and restarted my pc, when it started I logged on went to boot settings advanced settings and when I clicked on the number of proccessors drop...
  10. Boot Advance options processor/memory settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Advance options processor/memory settings: Was wondering if all my processors (8) were working during the latest update to 17128 and came across this: Top image was how I discovered it i.e 1 processor, bottom image with what I think the options should be set to. All 8 are showing activity in Task manager, just not...