Windows 10: Setting program affinity in Win10

Discus and support Setting program affinity in Win10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've heard of ways to make certain programs use only one core by going on the process tab in the task manager and setting affinity, but I've never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MalinG92, Oct 17, 2020.

1. MalinG92 Win User

Setting program affinity in Win10

I've heard of ways to make certain programs use only one core by going on the process tab in the task manager and setting affinity, but I've never found this affinity option.

I have installed a very old game and it lags because the PC isn't rly built for that, and I need some help to figure out how to do this.

:)

MalinG92, Oct 17, 2020
  2. d4005 Win User

How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

Is there a way to achieve permanent affinity for a program that is used without a shortcut? I use the WinFF program for video conversion, which is a UI wrapper around ffmpeg.exe that does the actual converting. So I could set the affinity for WinFF in my WinFF shortcut, but once it starts ffmpeg to do the conversion I've lost that affinity connection because it's a brand new program. I can do it manually, but if I've set WinFF with the task of converting 50 video files, I'd have to set the affinity 50 times.

d4005, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Polo6RGTI Win User
    How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

I use batch scripts to set the affinity and priority.

Setting program affinity in Win10 [​IMG]

Binary/Decimal/Hexadecimal Converter

Code:
    You can also create a shortcut on the Desktop:
    Code:

Polo6RGTI, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Setting program affinity in Win10

Setting Affinity

I had found it easier to use a program like WinLauncherXP, once you have a program configured, you can just launch the program from the app and it sets it for you.

IIRC, though, it's a PITA to set affinity manually - I don't know of any command line off the top of my head

imperialreign, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Setting program affinity in Win10

1. Setting program affinity in Win10 - Similar Threads - Setting program affinity

2. Windows Defender - set affinity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender - set affinity: Computer is unusable while scanning, and there is some restriction to release couple of CPU cored for the process. How to circumvent this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-set-affinity/44ad5fdc-f0a4-46db-8344-74ce65353bdf
  3. How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?: Using the command "wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority128" would set paint to a high priority but what if i want to set the affinity of paint, is there a command for program affinity?If not i know process hacker supposedly does the trick but i dont know how...
  4. How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?: Using the command "wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority128" would set paint to a high priority but what if i want to set the affinity of paint, is there a command for program affinity?If not i know process hacker supposedly does the trick but i dont know how...
  5. How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How to Permanently Set Priority & Affinity Into Shortcut Program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Permanently Set Priority & Affinity Into Shortcut Program: You can set the priority and affinity of a program you want to run into a shortcut file, it does have some drawbacks. The most notable is that you have to be able to launch the process manually. If you can’t or the process is spawned by another program, it won’t work.1. Open...
  7. How to Permanently Set Priority & Affinity Into Shortcut Program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Permanently Set Priority & Affinity Into Shortcut Program: You can set the priority and affinity of a program you want to run into a shortcut file, it does have some drawbacks. The most notable is that you have to be able to launch the process manually. If you can’t or the process is spawned by another program, it won’t work.1. Open...
  8. How to Permanently Set Priority & Affinity Into Shortcut Program

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to permanently set cpu affinity for programs?: Using the command "wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority128" would set paint to a high priority but what if i want to set the affinity of paint, is there a command for program affinity? If not i know process hacker supposedly does the trick but i dont know...
  10. Unable to set core affinity

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to set core affinity: I've been having a serious problem with the Steam Client Webhelper recently, where I'm in a group voice chat and all of a sudden it's using serious processor time. Just yesterday I was playing in the BFV beta when I noticed sudden system lag, with the fps dropping down from...