Windows 10: Setting program as default for all supported file types?

Discus and support Setting program as default for all supported file types? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I'd like to use MPC-HC as the default handler for all of the file types that it supports. Is there a way to do this without going through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/drguildo, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Setting program as default for all supported file types?

Setting program as default for all supported file types? Ig6k2mWhK1Bp7PlSQGbd-lVss3PlL9ijTloe-BgVKP8.jpg

I'd like to use MPC-HC as the default handler for all of the file types that it supports. Is there a way to do this without going through every extension under it's "Set defaults by app" entry?

If I set it as the default for video and audio under "Default apps" it doesn't associate itself with everything. Same goes for the file association settings in MPC-HC itself because apparently Windows 10 blocks programs from setting up their own associations.

I seem to remember Windows 7 having the ability to do this but I can't find it anywhere. Is this another instance of Microsoft dumbing things down?

https://preview.redd.it/lc3ykiae92k...bp&s=6768f9bceb4b6c4bcbf7044be33f55ae194bc10b

submitted by /u/drguildo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/drguildo, Mar 1, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Setting default program by file type

Welcome to Ten Forums Pearson240

See this tutorial, Option Two, Step 3.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Bree, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Setting program as default for all supported file types?

How to set default programs in Windows 10

How do I set Maple as a default programme when it does not appear in the list of programmes, even though its .exe file appears under Program Files in the directories Maple15 and Maple16.

Failing that how do I set a default programme for .mw files when this extension does not appear in the list, even thought it is a valid extension for Maple programmes.

RonaldCurtisKing, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Setting program as default for all supported file types?

1. Setting program as default for all supported file types? - Similar Threads - Setting program default

2. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type: I use both Acrobat and Bluebeam to view/edit PDFs. I know how to change the default app/program for PDFs in general currently Acrobat, but I'm wondering if I can set some *specific* PDFs to open with Bluebeam. I also know how to right-click and choose "open with..." I'm just...
  3. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type: I use both Acrobat and Bluebeam to view/edit PDFs. I know how to change the default app/program for PDFs in general currently Acrobat, but I'm wondering if I can set some *specific* PDFs to open with Bluebeam. I also know how to right-click and choose "open with..." I'm just...
  4. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home: My version of Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044 I installed a PDF reader program and immediately discovered I couldn't find it to set it as the default for .pdf files.After some research and far more messing around compared with Windows 10 Pro, and earlier versions of Windows, I...
  6. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home: My version of Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044 I installed a PDF reader program and immediately discovered I couldn't find it to set it as the default for .pdf files.After some research and far more messing around compared with Windows 10 Pro, and earlier versions of Windows, I...
  7. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

8. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  9. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  10. Setting default program by file type

Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...