Windows 10: Setting the default application with two versions on the machine?

Discus and support Setting the default application with two versions on the machine? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have both Sketchup 2019 and 2020 0n my machine. However, 2019 is the default application listed for the .skp files. Of course I get and error when it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CalypsoArt, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Setting the default application with two versions on the machine?

I have both Sketchup 2019 and 2020 0n my machine. However, 2019 is the default application listed for the .skp files. Of course I get and error when it tries to open a file created in the newer 2020. I tried setting the default to 2020 through the file type properties but no go. Is there another way to set this?

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version10.0.19041 Build 19041

:)

CalypsoArt, Oct 6, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Setting the default application with two versions on the machine? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 6, 2020
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Wrong Office version set as default

Have you tried Start>Settings>Apps>Choose default applications? If that only offers one (wrong or unknown) version of Word, find a docx file in explorer, rt-click and select 'open with...', then select 'more apps', and if Word 365 is not in the list, try 'look for another app' at the bottom of the list: go find Word365, wherever it may be found (I don't have it).

mngerhold, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Setting the default application with two versions on the machine?

Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Setting the default application with two versions on the machine?

1. Setting the default application with two versions on the machine? - Similar Threads - Setting default application

2. Windows 11 default application settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default application settings.: We strongly recommend that Microsoft add the default application settings for Windows 10 to Windows 11 settings!!! The default application settings for Windows 11 adopt the default application software settings scheme of the Windows 7 control panel, but do not refer to...
  3. Windows 11 default application settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 default application settings.: We strongly recommend that Microsoft add the default application settings for Windows 10 to Windows 11 settings!!! The default application settings for Windows 11 adopt the default application software settings scheme of the Windows 7 control panel, but do not refer to...
  4. Is it possible to set different default printers on two different applications on windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to set different default printers on two different applications on windows?: I want to set printer 1 as my default for my Adobe application and printer 2 as my default for MS Word. Is this possible? submitted by /u/Raidho27 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kn9sr6/is_it_possible_to_set_different_default_printers/
  5. setting email default application

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting email default application: Using Windows 10 with Brother MFC-J680DW printer/scanner and cannot set default email application. I've tried multiple suggestions and google to no avail. I use a gmail account for email....
  6. Wrong Office version set as default

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Wrong Office version set as default: I'm moving from Office 2007 to Office 365 but I don't want to uninstall 2007 until I'm confident in my use of 365. (And maybe upgrade my PC. It seems to me that performance has slowed with 365.) The problem is that my file association only says "Microsoft Word". It doesn't...
  7. Set the default application of win 10

Set the default application of win 10: My pdf files are currently unable to install the open application by default, when I install Foxit Reader to open it, Windows automatically changes to Edge when I restart the computer. Please help me....
  8. Set a version of a font as default for Windows

Set a version of a font as default for Windows: Hi everyone, I have 2 version of "Georgia Regular" A Pro version that I can install for my user in AppData/Local or in C:\Windows\Fonts for all Users A "normal" version installed when installing Windows 10 I want to use the Pro version as the default "Regular Version"....
  9. Cannot set default applications

Cannot set default applications: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the moment). I cannot set default applications for "Choose default applications by file type", or "Choose default applications by...
  10. Winver shows two different versions on two machines

in Windows 10 Support
    Winver shows two different versions on two machines: I have Win 10 installed on two machines. The first, an HP Laptop, came from the factory with W10 and quickly updated itself to version 1511 OSbuild 10586 according to Winver. The second, a Dell Destop, was updated from Win 7 to Win 10 back in December and after the...