Windows 10: Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to...

Discus and support Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a key on my keyboard that opens music, all the buttons open programs and I like having that. Browser opens firefox, computer opens files, email... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MacadamSchaufert, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to...

I have a key on my keyboard that opens music, all the buttons open programs and I like having that. Browser opens firefox, computer opens files, email opens emails, and the music key on my keyboard opens groove music which I do not use. I went into set default music player, and it only allows Microsoft applications bought off the Microsoft marketplace such as Groove music, or Windows Media Player, but not custom programs like Spotify, or VLC media player. I realize this will also change MP3 files to try to play on Spotify, which it has the capability of playing local files, but I am unsure if

:)

MacadamSchaufert, Aug 21, 2021
  2. UrunTekin Win User

Default Music Player

Hello,

I want to assign my keyboard's launch music player key to Spotify on win 10. For this I need to either assign the media key to the program somehow, or change the default music player.

The default music player is Groove and this is the one that starts when I press music player button. I cannot change the default program to Spotify, because it does not show up in the list when I go to default programs > music player. It suggest I search
    in the store, so I downloaded store version of Spotify as well, and it still doesn't show up there.

So how do I either change the behaviour of the music launcher key, or change the default music player to a program that does not show up in the list of music players under default programs.

UrunTekin, Aug 21, 2021
  3. mrgeek Win User
    music player

"someone f****d about with my laptop, they seem to have moved music to aforesaid Groove..."
    The Groove library works like WMP's. You can choose which folders it looks for music at startup. Open Groove, hit the gear setting in L column (see screen). If you click 'choose where . look for music', likely the default is your entire This PC/Music folder. If you delete all the folders, there will be no music on the interface when it opens. But if you really want to use WMP, follow the above suggestions on how to make it your default player rather than the current Windows 10 default of Groove.

Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to... [​IMG]

mrgeek, Aug 21, 2021
  4. Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to...

How to make Spotify as my default music player for windows 10 on PC and Spotify App on Surface!

as Microsoft is moving on to Spotify and poor Groove is rolling eyes!

So, I thought to install Spotify and move my music library to Spotify; did that successfully and then thought to make Spotify my default player as Microsoft suggested this and there must be a way to make this my default music player on Windows 10 on PC and
    Surface with Windows 10.

I have unsuccessfully tried by going into Control Panel --> Default Programs --> Set Your Default Program --> Music Player

I get 3 options:

1. Groove Music

2. Windows Player

3. Look for an app in the Store.

I can change my default to Windows Player or Media Monkey, however Cortana still opens up Groove (strange) - so I have tried 3rd option 'Look for an app in the Store', which doesn't work either as Store behave the same way as it does normally, launch
    the app if you have already installed (as I did in my case, had installed Spotify app.), there is no additional option where I came from to make a new program as my default.

I think I am looking for following, whenever windows team can fix:

1. Let Spotify (Knowing the fact Spotify is not Microsoft product) be a real default program.

2. If Spotify becomes default program, we must be able to associate local mp3 files to mp3 player which is Spotify (yes Spotify's team work). Like I have Media Monkey Install and I can associate my local machine mp3 to Media Monkey.

3. Please make windows default program functionality reasonable, noticed funny around this area - I can provide details if needed.

Please let me know, if someone got any hint to resolve this matter.

Thanks,

-Ahsan

Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to... e535838e-ccc7-428b-a6d9-dd450694e9a0?upload=true.png

Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to... 88db59ef-c1b3-40d2-a251-99b3f0b26606?upload=true.png

Ahsan.Khurshid, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to...

1. Setting the default program for music player to a directory and .exe for Spotify music to... - Similar Threads - Setting default program

2. Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11: What it says in the title, folks. I've recently switched from 10 to 11 and am trying to assign various apps to my keyboard shortcut keys. I'm trying to assign Amazon Music as my default music player and the settings for the default apps are different on 11 than 10. I can't...
  3. Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11: What it says in the title, folks. I've recently switched from 10 to 11 and am trying to assign various apps to my keyboard shortcut keys. I'm trying to assign Amazon Music as my default music player and the settings for the default apps are different on 11 than 10. I can't...
  4. Spotify as default music app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotify as default music app: Hi, i was wondering why I can't seem to be able to add spotify as my default music app? I'm in the latest version of Windows 10 pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spotify-as-default-music-app/413124c1-46e1-4c0c-aac7-80db35e908de
  5. Setting spotify as my main music player for a keyboard shortcut.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting spotify as my main music player for a keyboard shortcut.: I have been trying to get spotify to be my main musical player all morning. I simply want to be able to press my media button on my remote keyboard and start spotify. I have tried two things so far one of them failed and the other one I simply cannot perform due my own...
  6. Default Music Player Constantly Activating

Default Music Player Constantly Activating: Running Microsoft Windows Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.662 on a desktop tower PC. This problem began soon after installing the 20H2 updates. Something in this build is constantly and repeatedly opening the default music application even though no request to play any music...
  7. Default Music Player Issues

Default Music Player Issues: Hello! As a Microsoft user, I noticed that all my mp3 files open up with Apple's iTunes software rather than Groove music. I figured it would be an easy fix by just resetting Groove to the default music player, but it turns out that Groove was already the default. That's...
  8. music player.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    music player.: Internet Edge forced itself onto my computer after I rejected it. Now I cannot find any of my downloaded music...Can you help me find it? It was stored in my player. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/music-player/b3e561d8-e6b4-4e3c-9b7b-0a363f84ad15"
  9. Default Music Program

Default Music Program: When will Windows make Spotify a default music program. I understand Spotify uses its own music file type, but seeing the popularity of the platform it should be worked into a future build of Windows....
  10. Adding Default Music Player

Adding Default Music Player: I use Music Bee, but windows can't seem to find it. So I can't set it as the default. 10536

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change the default music of windows phone