Windows 10: Setting up 2nd hdd with windows 10

Discus and support Setting up 2nd hdd with windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have dell inspirion 3847. It has its original 1Tb drive and has win 7 pro. I have installed a second HDD that is 2Tb to replace eventually the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jonfox, Jul 15, 2017.

1. jonfox Win User

Setting up 2nd hdd with windows 10

I have dell inspirion 3847. It has its original 1Tb drive and has win 7 pro. I have installed a second HDD that is 2Tb to replace eventually the original as my new Disc 0. I have partitioned part of it already as Disc "F" and allotted 100 Gb for win 10. The rest is not allocated. I have purchased a usb of Win 10 Home Full Version. I wish to load this on to the second HDD that I partitioned. Eventually this will become Drive 0. There seems to be differing opinions on how to copy the new OS on to it without merging some parts of the two OSs. For now I don't mind toggling at startup to one or the other. Can I do these operations on the second drive "out of sight" of the original HDD?
    Any and all suggestions are welcome.

:)

jonfox, Jul 15, 2017
  2. Rachel_55 Win User

Restore Windows 10 From Windows 8

I made an ISO for Windows 8 on my 2nd HDD and ran it thinking it would only install on the 2nd HDD.

It ended up replacing Windows 10 on my 1st HDD.

So now I'm stuck in Windows 8.

Is there a way to revert back to Windows 10 from Windows 8?

If not, Is it possible to remove Windows 8?

(I already looked at Recovery, the only restoration point is when I installed Windows 8. I'm unsure if this is related, but I'm having High Disk Usage from COM Surrogate since the install.)

Rachel_55, Jul 15, 2017
  3. 2nd SATA HDD not accessible after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7.1, X64.

Thank you for that. My Wife has just reminded me that when she was moving copying / moving her files from her Windows 7 HDD to her 2nd HDD, everything had gained a small padlock... this, I presume is part of the problem. Even though they had the padlock
    symbol, she was still able to access the files, and use them.

Under Windows 10, that HDD shows up as Drive E, but that it is not accessible... Her PC and user names under Windows 10 are the same as they were under Windows 7

Is it worth the trouble of her going back to Windows 7, and trying to access her 2nd HDD again?

Piriform Speccy shows that her 2nd HDD has two Partitions, D and E, and that everything is good with it. It's reading the amount of space used, and the amount of free space available.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

Bristolian, Jul 15, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Simply disconnect first drive before installing on new drive. Then set bios to boot from new drive. Then you can wipe original drive.

These days, it is not usually that important to make OS drive drive zero unless drive zero port is SATA III and drive one port only SATA II (my laptop is like that as port one was really for slower optical drives)

cereberus, Jul 15, 2017
  5. jonfox Win User
    Thank you.
    I am planning to move all my wife's programs over there and moving data and files too. When everything is safe I'll backup the old "C' drive.
    One final question: after the new drive with win 10 is in use can I use the old one for non-critical storage. Just send downloads or files to it?
    Jon Fox

jonfox, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up 2nd hdd with windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setting 2nd hdd

2. 2nd monitor set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd monitor set up: When attempting to connect 2nd monitor to pc running a hdmi cable from 2nd monitor to a dvi/hdmi adapter on computer I lose video display on the 1st monitor? How can this be fixed?Thank you.pm...
  3. 2nd monitor set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd monitor set up: When attempting to connect 2nd monitor to pc running a hdmi cable from 2nd monitor to a dvi/hdmi adapter on computer I lose video display on the 1st monitor? How can this be fixed?Thank you.pm...
  4. Setting up 2nd harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up 2nd harddrive: Hello, I just installed second drive and was using your instructions to move data from the C:\ drive to the new D:\ drive. And your instructions work fine for Downloads and Favorites I cant can't seem to move Documents or Pictures! They are listed as beening in the OneDrive...
  5. Trouble Setting Up 2nd Monitor on Windows 10 Build 10.0.18363

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Trouble Setting Up 2nd Monitor on Windows 10 Build 10.0.18363: Hi, my system is: 1 x GameMax Gamboge Mid Tower Gaming Case1 x Arctic F12 Case Fan1 x TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps PCI Express WiFi1 x Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler1 x 3 Year Collect & Return warranty0 x Corsair VS Series VS450 450W 80+ PSU2 x CCL Choice 8GB (1x 8GB)...
  6. Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD: Hello, So i have an MSI B450M Mortar Max mobo with a Kingston A2000 1TB NVME SSD, and i want to add an external 2TB HDD. But when i plug it in and try to start the pc it wont go past the boot logo. If i unplug it and plug it in while the pc is on it shows up as a normal HDD...
  7. unable to update to 1809 with HDD caddy (2nd HDD)

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to update to 1809 with HDD caddy (2nd HDD): hey i have rmoved the dvd rom and installed a seconed hdd i have ran windows 7 till windows 10 1803 (april update) hence the update to 1809 is not showing neither the setup ( when creating a USB) so I am unable to enter the boot menu of the 1809 i have to remove the 2nd...
  8. 2nd hdd caddy and windows 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2nd hdd caddy and windows 1809: Hey I have posted 2 topics about the inability to update to 1809 and I have figured out that it is due to the 2nd hdd caddy I have installed a 2nd Hdd caddy instead of my DVD rom on my laptop Since windows 7 Then I have upgraded my laptop to asus with windows 10 which had...
  9. HDD Showing Up In 1st PC but not 2nd PC.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Showing Up In 1st PC but not 2nd PC.: Hi! In my PC I have a 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD. Recently, the drive has been stopping showing up in Windows, and it's normally fixed by unplugging all drives, rebooting, plugging the drives back in and then turning it on again. Today, the drive has not shown up at all, even...
  10. 4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly

in Windows 10 Support
    4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly: Hi there I installed a new 4 TB internal SATA HDD yesterday ( new data disk) -- Windows 10 prompted me immediately after W10 had booted (from an SSD) on boot up -- Uninitialized Disk select GUID / GPT or MBR. For HDD's > 2TB you need GPT to use full size partition....