Windows 10: Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10

Discus and support Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 desktops and one laptop all running Windows 10 (wirelessly, except for one desktop on ethernet). I'm trying to set up a new homegroup with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rick1964, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Rick1964 Win User

Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10

I have 3 desktops and one laptop all running Windows 10 (wirelessly, except for one desktop on ethernet). I'm trying to set up a new homegroup with these machines, but when I do, I'm asked for a HG password that is not working (I set up a HG when some were on Windows 7 long ago). Is there anyway to clear that old password out so I can set up this new HG from scratch? Also, when I go to the other machines I'm asked to sign in with my network credentials. I don't know what that is or where to find them. Any help is much appreciated.

Rick

:)

Rick1964, Jun 15, 2017

2. Setting up a Homegroup

I did try but it didn't work. I've just tried again to see what the problem was. I get to the Set up a Network part, and wait for the list of unconfigured devices to populate in the list but they don't.

MaureenConner, Jun 15, 2017
  3. Setting up a Homegroup

am trying to set up my printer to A Homegroup, I have A code to enter but would not except it. I was told perhaps I could set up my own home group that one may not be available to me to join. Need instructions to do what I can to set up my printer.

ReginaGann, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey Rick1964,
    Windows Key + S ... type credentials ... select Credential Manager

Click on the Windows Credential Icon
    Look under the Windows Credentials for the accounts to you want edit/remove

Note: Good idea to back up credentials, just in case *Smile

Eagle51, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Rick1964 Win User
    Thanks Eagle51. That did help me get my HG set up. Just a follow up if I may. From the computer I set up the HG on, I cannot access files on the other computers in the HG, whereas, I can access any files between any of the other computers within the HG, including back to the original (HG set up) computer. Is that normal, or is there something I can change somewhere to make all files accessable from all computers? Thanks for your help.

Rick

Rick1964, Jun 16, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hi Rick1964,
    No that's not normal, you should be able to access any folders/files you setup to be shared in the HomeGroup. I'd try the HomeGroup Troubleshooter (Settings / Troubleshoot / HomeGroup) on the problem pc.

Eagle51, Jun 16, 2017
  7. Rick1964 Win User
    Hi Eagle51,

In the Advanced Sharing Settings panel I found that the wrong selection was made for HomeGroup connections. When I changed it to Allow Windows to Manage HG, everything is working correctly now. Thanks very much for your help.

Rick

Rick1964, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setting homegroup

2. Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....: Note default is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootup-is-turning-homegroup-public-folders-access/8dcded8e-c3af-48e8-80e5-b17517d60d0c
  3. Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....: Note default is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootup-is-turning-homegroup-public-folders-access/8dcded8e-c3af-48e8-80e5-b17517d60d0c
  4. Set up homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set up homegroup in Windows 10: Have just installed Win 10 ot previously blank SSD, in place of Windows 7. Can anyone point me to a clear description of how to set up a homegroup network in my new installation of windows 10?...
  5. Missing Set Up Homegroup button!

Missing Set Up Homegroup button!: I want to connect my desktop and my laptop. I went to Network settings/status and I'm supposed to see a Homegroup button to set it up but I don't have one. How can I do it?...
  6. homegroup settings not found

homegroup settings not found: I have win 10 ver 1809 and homegroup settings not found any where? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup-settings-not-found/8c0b5af8-1bc6-4b71-895f-4b4f89cefc47
  7. Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue

Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue: Dear All, I hope that someone can help me. I am setup as an administrator within Window 10. For some unknown reason I cannot share or set permissions for the default Documents folder Music folder or Printers and Drivers to be shared across a Homegroup. THE EXACT...
  8. I need a complete list of settings to make my Homegroup work.

I need a complete list of settings to make my Homegroup work.: I hope you don't get as confused as I am.... I have 3 win 10 computers, 1 HP 530-339 64 Bit, 1 Dell 530S 32 Bit and 1 Dell 560S 64 Bit. I need to let folks know I am a non-techie with an 85 year old slow brain. When I bought the 560 I tried to set up a Homegroup, I was...
  9. PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup: I am having trouble with File Explorer on my wife's PC (Val1606). Under Network, it does not show my PC (Tony0415) but it has appeared under This PC but no longer. However, what it showed was that Tony0415 was merely a Media Device. It would be good if I could get Val1606...
  10. Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?: I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get confusing instructions when I go to add the P to the DT (main computer). Here's what i did: I set up a homegroup on the DT and got...