Windows 10: Setting up a laptop in a way that allows necessary control of the oneDrive

Discus and support Setting up a laptop in a way that allows necessary control of the oneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; First I'll explain what should not have happened when I recently set up a laptop, and then I'll explain what should have. When I set up my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pagenotes, Dec 14, 2020.

1. pagenotes Win User

Setting up a laptop in a way that allows necessary control of the oneDrive

First I'll explain what should not have happened when I recently set up a laptop, and then I'll explain what should have.

When I set up my new laptop, Microsoft made some blunders that cost me dearly. Specifically, they:

• Decided without consulting me whether I even wanted a oneDrive for my new laptop.
    • Presumed that they somehow knew which oneDrive and email to associate with my new laptop.
    • Dredged up an old email that I hadn't used in years and gave my laptop a brand new oneDrive.
    • Refused to say what they did with the oneDrive for my old broken laptop.
    • Refused to return my data that I had placed on that oneDrive.

The correct, ethical approach, in my opinion, would be to provide a oneDrive setup dialogue along the following lines:

Do you wish to attach one of the following oneDrives to your new laptop?

No Thanks

The existing oneDrive associated with your xxxxx email

[currently attached to another laptop / not currently attached to another laptop]

. . . . . . .

The existing oneDrive associated with your zzzzz email
    [currently attached to another laptop / not currently attached to another laptop]
    A new oneDrive associated with the email ______________
    Do you want to configure the oneDrive as an extension of your laptop's file system?
    If so Do you want to Sync the oneDrive with the hard drive's document folder, picture folder, and desktop?

Do you want a onelook.com account for this oneDrive's email?

Do you want Microsoft to automatically log you into this outlook.com account when you log onto your laptop thereby inviting others to impersonate you simply by hacking your laptop?

:)

pagenotes, Dec 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Control panel and OneDrive not opening

Hello Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with your issue.

• What happens when you click on Control Panel?
    • Do you get any error message or code?
    • Did you install all pending Windows updates?
    • Did you make any changes in your system prior to this issue?
    I would suggest you to right click on the Start button and select Control Panel from the list and then check if its working. If not I suggest you to refer to the steps mentioned by
    Steverid and check if it helps:

Windows 10 control panel not working

And related to OneDrive issue, I suggest you to post the query in One drive forum to get assistance with OneDrive issues.

Microsoft Community

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 14, 2020
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Setting up a laptop in a way that allows necessary control of the oneDrive - Similar Threads - Setting laptop allows

2. PIN necessary for setting up outlook account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN necessary for setting up outlook account: Hello, I am in a bit of a bind, I want to set a outlook.com account in my outlook that is installed on the pc, and I go trough everything, put the password and it's asking for my PIN for my PC. But I never set up a PIN, or if I did I forgot, but I am fairly certain I didn't,...
  3. PIN necessary for setting up outlook account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN necessary for setting up outlook account: Hello, I am in a bit of a bind, I want to set a outlook.com account in my outlook that is installed on the pc, and I go trough everything, put the password and it's asking for my PIN for my PC. But I never set up a PIN, or if I did I forgot, but I am fairly certain I didn't,...
  4. PIN necessary for setting up outlook account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Setting up Onedrive on a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Onedrive on a laptop: I have a desktop computer running Office 365 in Win 11. I am trying to set up a laptop also running Win 11 and authorized to run Office 365. I don't need to see everything on my desktop computer on my laptop. I want to be able to pick and choose which folders and icons show...
  6. Setting up Onedrive on a laptop

Setting up Onedrive on a laptop: I have a desktop computer running Office 365 in Win 11. I am trying to set up a laptop also running Win 11 and authorized to run Office 365. I don't need to see everything on my desktop computer on my laptop. I want to be able to pick and choose which folders and icons show...
  7. How to set up OneDrive on Windows 10 the easy way

in Windows 10 News
    How to set up OneDrive on Windows 10 the easy way: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]OneDrive for Windows 10 is a great cloud storage tool designed to easily backup all your files and documents. It also makes it super easy for users to gain access to their files that are located in the cloud without [...] This post How to set up OneDrive on...
  8. OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them.: I’ve had Carbonite on my Windows 10 PC for years and I want to keep using it on the PC. I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and I only want some of my files on the laptop. I don’t want all of them there. Although my PC had OneDrive I had not ever used it. I want...
  9. Setting up OneDrive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up OneDrive: Since the largest Microsoft Window's 10 update, OneDrive has stopped working. In order to set it up, I'm suppose to use my email address which I created using one of the many well known ones. I even tried using one email account that I have used for years and nothing...
  10. "Set up OneDrive"

"Set up OneDrive": In the 'Windows Defender Security Center" program, "Security at a glance"....The 'Virus & threat protection' show an exclamation mark (!). Then below "Set up OneDrive" in a gray box. If I click in the gray box it just opens my folder in OneDrive. I have access to...