Windows 10: Setting up a network

Discus and support Setting up a network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have 4 computers that I would like to be able to network, 3 are Windows 10 and the fourth is a Ubuntu box we use for backup. There is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Mar 24, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

Setting up a network

Hi,

I have 4 computers that I would like to be able to network, 3 are Windows 10 and the fourth is a Ubuntu box we use for backup. There is no problem networking to the Ubuntu box from any of the computers. The other 3 computers, listed in order of importance are mine (1), my wife's (2) and the workshop (3).

#3 can access #1 and sees #2 but is unable to get into her files.
    #1 can access #3 and sees #2 but is unable to get into her files.
    #2 can access #1 and #3 but it asks for a user name and password for both computers.

I have attempted to share her files with everyone, after several minutes up pops "Can't share this folder"!

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

:)

rboppy, Mar 24, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 24, 2016
  3. instructions on setting up a vpn network

instructions on setting up a vpn network

RonnieMcThomas, Mar 24, 2016
  4. Setting up a network

If possible, for the Windows computers, you want to use the same username and password combinations (since these are likely workgroup computers and not on a domain). Are they all connected to the same router?

DeaconFrost, Mar 24, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    Unfortunately we're old and set in our ways, I've disabled asking for a password.

#1 & #2 are connected (cat5) to the same router/switch combination, #3 is wireless to the same router.

I went into the Control Panel/Network and Internet and turned off Password Protected Sharing, this enabled #2 to have complete access to both 1 and 3, after doing a Share with everyone on the Users. Tried the same thing on #2 and received this: "Your folder can't be shared". Any ideas?

rboppy, Mar 24, 2016
  6. rboppy Win User
    More info. My computer (#1) has a couple of VMs set up, the Windows 7 Home Basic machine has no problem accessing any of the other 3 computers as well as the Windows XP Professional, no problem, I just can't access her computer (#2) from mine or #3. Bizarre!

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Setting up a network

1. Setting up a network - Similar Threads - Setting network

2. Proxy settings not showing in Network and Internet settings windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proxy settings not showing in Network and Internet settings windows 10: In Windows 10 22h2, pro, build 19044.4291. I have 2 devices that have mysteriously lost the Proxy settings option in Network and Internet settings. See the screenshot below.I need those users to be able to switch 'automatically detect settings' on or off when they are working...
  3. Proxy settings not showing in Network and Internet settings windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Proxy settings not showing in Network and Internet settings windows 10: In Windows 10 22h2, pro, build 19044.4291. I have 2 devices that have mysteriously lost the Proxy settings option in Network and Internet settings. See the screenshot below.I need those users to be able to switch 'automatically detect settings' on or off when they are working...
  4. Proxy settings not showing in Network and Internet settings windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. proxy settings not showing in network and internet settings windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    proxy settings not showing in network and internet settings windows 10: I have seen all sorts of trivial useless answers from 'independent advisors' I would like to see some useful answers from W10 guru's please.In Windows 10 22h2, pro, build 19044.4291. I have 2 devices that have mysteriously lost the Proxy settings option in Network and...
  6. proxy settings not showing in network and internet settings windows 10

proxy settings not showing in network and internet settings windows 10: I have seen all sorts of trivial useless answers from 'independent advisors' I would like to see some useful answers from W10 guru's please.In Windows 10 22h2, pro, build 19044.4291. I have 2 devices that have mysteriously lost the Proxy settings option in Network and...
  7. proxy settings not showing in network and internet settings windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Brother Printer/Scanner MFC-L3720CDW trying to set up scan to network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brother Printer/Scanner MFC-L3720CDW trying to set up scan to network: Hello,I recently got the Brother Printer MFC-L3720CDW and setting up the printer and its functions were simple enough - but when attempting to set up the scanner through going to the printer IP address and that route - it is much more challenging. It is asking me for the...
  9. Brother Printer/Scanner MFC-L3720CDW trying to set up scan to network

Brother Printer/Scanner MFC-L3720CDW trying to set up scan to network: Hello,I recently got the Brother Printer MFC-L3720CDW and setting up the printer and its functions were simple enough - but when attempting to set up the scanner through going to the printer IP address and that route - it is much more challenging. It is asking me for the...
  10. Sim slot available and fingerprint reader available, but no cellular network settings, or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sim slot available and fingerprint reader available, but no cellular network settings, or...: MY question is in two parts.I have a hp EliteBook 850 g5, there's a sim slot available by the side but in the system settings, there are no for cellular/sim network.I am up-to date with updates and even updated all network drivers individually under Device Manager.Under...