Windows 10: Setting up a new router what does security type mean?

Discus and support Setting up a new router what does security type mean? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; New Netgear Router for WIFI. It asks to choose security setup. What either Open or choices. What do I use?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AMShern36, May 17, 2023.

1. AMShern36 Win User

Setting up a new router what does security type mean?

New Netgear Router for WIFI. It asks to choose security setup. What either Open or choices. What do I use?

:)

AMShern36, May 17, 2023
  2. silkstone Win User

Router behind a router = more secure?

Thanks.

So it is more secure from both exploits and brute force to have router > Router > Computers. An attacker would have to find exploits in both routers before gaining access to a network?

I'm not that worried, I just wanted to know the theory as I seem to get conflicting information. I had always assumed that having a router behind a router would be better security-wise.

I am pretty sure that my router would be on the list of those compromised in Vietnam by malware. The malware only changed the primary DNS for the router, so I would still not be immune to this kind of attack if someone gained access to my internet facing router, but it got me thinking more about security.

silkstone, May 17, 2023
  3. Router behind a router = more secure?

I would not worry about some hacker targeting you unless you advertise some type of prize "info" on your network. A simple Router with firewall settings should be enough if you set it up properly. If this was a business I would suggest a external firewall such as a fortigate 200 series.

brandonwh64, May 17, 2023
  4. abjth25 Win User

Need new Router

Doesn't your ISP has a list of suggested routers? If not, look for 802.11 AC Wireless routers.

abjth25, May 17, 2023
Thema:

1. Setting up a new router what does security type mean? - Similar Threads - Setting router does

2. Setting up a new router what does security type mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a new router what does security type mean?: New Netgear Router for WIFI. It asks to choose security setup. What either Open or choices. What do I use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-a-new-router-what-does-security-type/78bce825-4f12-4538-a043-728befbf83a1
  3. Setting up a new router what does security type mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up a new router what does security type mean?: New Netgear Router for WIFI. It asks to choose security setup. What either Open or choices. What do I use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-a-new-router-what-does-security-type/78bce825-4f12-4538-a043-728befbf83a1
  4. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this mean?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.Every time my computer, is totally off.And I, turn it on. I see this.Does, this mean. There's a problem,with my computer?I'm, concerned. Is there a way, to stop it.Or, should I. Just not, worry about it?Thanks for reading . . ....
  5. What does that mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does that mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PiperidinDerivat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j62iz0/what_does_that_mean/
  6. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrMinerNiner [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6cowh/what_does_this_mean/
  7. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean?: I'm having frequent, seemingly random, full system crashes. There's no warning, no "restarting now" notification. One moment the computer is functioning normally, the next it's running through the boot cycle again. I've reset windows, uninstalled all third party apps I can...
  8. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  9. what does "sleep" mean in power settings?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does "sleep" mean in power settings?: I don't know what "sleep" means in the power settings, and how to get out of sleep when I need to. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-sleep-mean-in-power-settings/057c7e4d-c9b5-4138-8261-7ad8492c067d
  10. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430