Windows 10: Setting up a PIN

Discus and support Setting up a PIN in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I use a password to sign on and want to change to using a PIN. I follow the instructions to initiate a session with a PIN, get to Create a PIN and a... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by RupertBest, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM.

1. Setting up a PIN

I use a password to sign on and want to change to using a PIN. I follow the instructions to initiate a session with a PIN, get to Create a PIN and a window opens that says "We are confirming that this is you" and requests my PIN. Since I do not have a PIN I cannot continue. If I click on "I forgot my PIN", I am sent back to where I started.

:)

2. Rey Bel1 Win User

Cannot set up PIN after Creators Update

In this case, we recommend to repair and set up a new PIN by doing the following steps:

• Open File Explorer and browser to this location:
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

• Delete everything within that folder. You must be logged in as the Administrator to do this.
    • Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.
    • Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN.
    • PIN sign in should work moving forward.

Let us know if the steps above works.

3. Pinning "Settings" to the Taskbar

I've tried both suggestions. But thanks to your(?) earlier post, I do have an icon pinned to the taskbar for settings.

Both were my posts Setting up a PIN :) In fact, at first I forgot to post the usual steps to pin Settings to taskbar, and rather complicated (which I thought) by suggesting you create a shortcut. Hence the 2nd post. Anyway, glad the shortcut method helped.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM
  4. Setting up a PIN

PIN at start up

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to Change PIN password:

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then Click on accounts.
    • Then on the left hand side click on sign in options.
    • Then you can Select Change PIN password and remove the pin.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thema:

Setting up a PIN

1. Setting up a PIN - Similar Threads - Setting PIN

2. Windows is asking for my Hello Pin and I have never set one.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows is asking for my Hello Pin and I have never set one.: This issue is driving me crazy! My Hello Pin is being requested and i have never set it up or added a PIN. YES - i have access to and signed into my Microsoft account and updated my details and passwords, but when i try to access my windows Hello Pin i still have the same...
  3. Option to set PIN doesn't show up, AT ALL

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Option to set PIN doesn't show up, AT ALL: Read title. I went to Settings, the Account section, and the sign-in options there, but it doesn't show up. I also have the enable PIN group policy option enabled. Version: Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909 build 18363.1082 by the way I'm just a normal user, I use...
  4. Cannot install a PIN from Settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot install a PIN from Settings: I have just about finished setting up my new machine but I cannot get it to set a PIN number at the sign on screen allI gte is a message saying to learn more about it and having to sign in with a password but where? Any help appreciated see pic 164646
  5. unable to set my windows hello pin

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to set my windows hello pin: unable to set hello pin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-set-my-windows-hello-pin/237b8312-155f-420b-8f28-13a4ad3d0445
  6. "your organization requires you to change your pin" and "*Some of these settings are hidden...

"your organization requires you to change your pin" and "*Some of these settings are hidden...: This is the 2nd time this happened and now it's back. This is all on my personal laptop. Windows uses my personal microsoft account First time it happened around July 22: About a month or two ago, I got the pin change message. I was confused because my organization should...
  7. My computer is now demanding a PIN I never set.

My computer is now demanding a PIN I never set.: I have always logged into my computer using a password. I never set up a pin. I chose this option at install. Now, it's asking me for a PIN. Since I don't have a PIN that I know of, I click "Forgot my Pin" I enter my microsoft account password, and it gives me the...
  8. how to disable "your organisation has set the following PIN requirements"?

how to disable "your organisation has set the following PIN requirements"?: this is my own personal laptop with my own personal account. this started after i added my school account so i could activate office. i have tried removing my pin as suggested in another post. this just resulted in the create pin button being greyed out. and i had to ad it...
  9. Removing PIN to sign in causing account problems and frozen settings menus

Removing PIN to sign in causing account problems and frozen settings menus: 1. After removing a PIN as a sign-in option because I forgot it after sticky notes kept desyncing for no reason I've had to manually enter my online account password to sign in rather than bypassing it to Windows I live alone 2. Today, however, Windows boot says "we are...
  10. PIN request - when I never set one

PIN request - when I never set one: My Windows login started asking for a PIN a few months ago. I always cancelled out of it because I never set one up and didn't want to have to remember another code. But recently, I installed a new version of Office, and it won't let me access Office without a PIN. When I...