Windows 10: Setting up a read-only guest PC?

Discus and support Setting up a read-only guest PC? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to set up a public-access PC for my organization, basically just a PC that members of the public can come in off the street and use to view... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Fortune_Silver, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Setting up a read-only guest PC?

I'm trying to set up a public-access PC for my organization, basically just a PC that members of the public can come in off the street and use to view files and browse the internet, nothing fancy.

The issue I'm having is security. User's gonna user, so I've noticed a few times that people have put their USB's or whatever in the computer, saved a file to the desktop, then not deleted it, which of course means the next rando can just open up their potentially private information and view all their stuff.

This is... not ideal. What I'm TRYING to do is basically make the whole damned PC read-only, in that they can view files all they want, but they can't SAVE anything, which would prevent the security/privacy debacle, while also setting up Chrome to maybe auto-sign out of all sites, or never saves cookies, or generally something so that users don't just leave stuff like their bank accounts or personal emails open for any longer than absolutely necessary, don't compromise their own privacy, while still being able to actually do stuff on it.

The PC in question is set up as a standalone, but we do have a domain, it's just not on it for security reasons.

submitted by /u/Fortune_Silver
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Fortune_Silver, Nov 20, 2019

2. Guest

Hi Voytek,

To remove the guest account from your start screen, we suggest that you try the following steps:

• Right-click Start menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enable guest account first by typing net user guest /active:yes, then press
      Enter.
    • Disable guest account by typing net user guest /active:no, then press
      Enter.
    • Perform a
      clean boot in Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Nov 20, 2019
  3. HLinders Win User
    How to remove guest account from provisioned PC

Using "Set up School PCs"-app I don't get the alternative to set Guest account to not active. This means that our PCs provisioned with "Set up School PCs" gets a Guest (or Gjest in Norwegian) account. I am unable to remove/hide this account on the login
    screen. How can this be done?

I've tried the following without success:

• Net user Gjest /active:no (while Administrator)
    • Net user Guest /active:no (while Admin)
    • netplwiz and disabling the guest account
    • using gpedit.msc to disable account
    The guest account actually reads as "disabled" - but it still shows up when I go to login screen in Windows 10.

I was thinking of using regedit to remove the account - however, I cant understand which string to delete and I am not even certain this will work. Which account should I remove?

• (Standard)
    • ProfilesDirectory
    • Programdata
    • Public
    Are there any other good ways to remove Guest (Gjest in Norwegian) account?

HLinders, Nov 20, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Setting up a read-only guest PC?

How to remove Guest account?

Try these steps and you should be able to delete the guest account:
    1. Press the WIN + X keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the Quick Access menu.
    2. At the Command Prompt, run this command: Code:
      Code:
      net user Guest /del

Vesao, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

Setting up a read-only guest PC?

1. Setting up a read-only guest PC? - Similar Threads - Setting read guest

2. Setting up a Guest account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a Guest account: Hi, I have set up a guest account for my PC Windows 11 but when I turn on the PC it does not show the guest log in, only my regular log in. Any suggestions? Many thanks....
  3. Setting up a Guest account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up a Guest account: Hi, I have set up a guest account for my PC Windows 11 but when I turn on the PC it does not show the guest log in, only my regular log in. Any suggestions? Many thanks....
  4. Set up guest user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up guest user: How do I set up a guest user that has access to programs on my computer, but not my personal files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-guest-user/fe8c5af1-f430-4967-acd2-836d33d2ebeb
  5. Set up guest user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up guest user: How do I set up a guest user that has access to programs on my computer, but not my personal files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-guest-user/fe8c5af1-f430-4967-acd2-836d33d2ebeb
  6. Set up guest user

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Setting Up Guest Accounts for My PC - Locked - How to Fix?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting Up Guest Accounts for My PC - Locked - How to Fix?: Have a couple of friends who are coming to visit me soon so I tried to set up two new user accounts on my PC, then download the game they play through the Microsoft store without being able to access all my stuff in my account. I think I did the setting up the accounts part...
  8. Documents File Is Set To Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents File Is Set To Read Only: For some reason, my documents file is set to read only, so any other files I put into it are then read only too, and the program I'm using can't change the files in the my documents folder. How do I fix this? My user account is set up as an administrator....
  9. Everything set to Read-Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Everything set to Read-Only: This is a problem I've been struggling with for a few months actually, but only now did it click for me. Turns out my system just. set every file to read-only, and no matter how much I fought through the administrative accounts and whatnot it just didn't work. I am the sole...
  10. Only account is Guest Acct and Settings will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only account is Guest Acct and Settings will not open: I was trying to delete all of my Microsoft accounts off of my computer before I give it to my daughter. I thought that it would not allow me to delete the account because it was an administrator account so I used netplwiz to switch the only Administrator account to a guest...