Windows 10: Setting up a secure network so that employees don't steal company data

Discus and support Setting up a secure network so that employees don't steal company data in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a small company and one of our employees just left the company and while leaving he stole most company data and gave it to our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lolcocks, Feb 3, 2019.

1. lolcocks Win User

Setting up a secure network so that employees don't steal company data

Hello,

I have a small company and one of our employees just left the company and while leaving he stole most company data and gave it to our competitors.

It's high time I get a secure system.

I plan on setting up a server through which all internet access will be directed so that I can block certain websites but I don't know which software / settings to use.

Also, I want a software that would log everything.
    Like if an employee starts his system, I should get a notification on that server or an email on a separate email that the system has been turned on.
    Or if an employee copies a file on his pen drive, I should get some kind of notification.

Please help.

:)

lolcocks, Feb 3, 2019

2. Starting network security company

I want to start my own network security company after I complete my network security engineering. I have planned to get atleast 5 years experience before I start my own enterprise. But my question is what exactly a. Network security company deals with. What exactly we have to do and is there any profit in the business

Harroy Singh, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Hackers Steal U.S. Government Data From PCs

Information from the U.S. Department of Transportation and several U.S. companies was stolen by hackers who seduced employees with fake job-listings on advertisements and e-mail, a computer security firm said. The companies include consulting firm Booz Allen, computer services company Unisys Corp, computer maker Hewlett- Packard Co and satellite network provider Hughes Network Systems, a unit of Hughes Communications Inc, said Mel Morris, chief executive of British Internet security provider Prevx Ltd.

From the list, only Unisys acknowledged that viruses had been detected and removed from two PCs, saying no information had been leaked. A Department of Transportation spokeswoman said the agency could not find any indication of a breach and a spokeswoman for Hughes said she was unaware of any breaches.
    Prevx said the malware it identified uses a program named NTOS.exe that probes PCs for confidential data, then sends it to a Web site hosted on Yahoo Inc. That site's owner is likely unaware it is being used by hackers, Morris said.
    He believes the hackers have set up several "sister" Web sites that are collecting similar data from other squadrons of malware. It was not clear whether the hackers used any information stolen from more than 1,000 PCs.
    Hackers only targeted a limited group of computers so they could easily keep a low profile and stay undetected.

Source: CDRinfo

HellasVagabond, Feb 3, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Starting network security company

read up on CISSP certification, SOX/PCI/HIPAA compliance auditing, Computer forensics, Windows administration, Linux administration.

you'll need a strong background in both systems and network administration to make a successful business. as well as a deep network of human contacts. most large companies do their security in house and only call in consultants for project work/audits. its far easier to make a successful career working at a large company doing security than it is to make a successful business providing that service to companies. small/medium sized companies the task is often still part of the system/network administrators position, with outsourcing of project work ( often to vendor recommended companies).

at the grunt level: 90% of the job is looking over logs and reports for discrepancies, the other 10% is remediating/explaining those discrepancies. at the upper end its vulnerability and penetration creation and remediation ( meaning you'll need good programming skills as well).

if you don't already have a strong background in system and/or network administration or low level programming languages ( like assembly) , you should start with that before looking at specializing in security. because without those skills you'll never succeed.

slozomby, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Setting up a secure network so that employees don't steal company data - Similar Threads - Setting secure network

2. Access to Company Files as an employee

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to Company Files as an employee: Hi there,I was trying to connect to my company server's files and I tried to login with my account details but it showed this message: 'A specified logon session does not exist. I may already have been terminated.'I tried to edit my details on credential managers. It was...
  3. Access to Company Files as an employee

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to Company Files as an employee: Hi there,I was trying to connect to my company server's files and I tried to login with my account details but it showed this message: 'A specified logon session does not exist. I may already have been terminated.'I tried to edit my details on credential managers. It was...
  4. Setting up an employee's computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up an employee's computer: I am trying to set up a new laptop which has Windows 11 for a new employee. I don't want to use my or their personal Microsoft account but I cannot set it up with a work account as the primary account. How can I register this as an organization computer with an employee as...
  5. Setting up an employee's computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up an employee's computer: I am trying to set up a new laptop which has Windows 11 for a new employee. I don't want to use my or their personal Microsoft account but I cannot set it up with a work account as the primary account. How can I register this as an organization computer with an employee as...
  6. Can my company track employees notebooks?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can my company track employees notebooks?: Hi!! Would my company be able to locate employee laptops? Is this possible through some tracker software or through windows itself? Being an employee, would it be possible to disable the possibility of the company having the employee's geographic location?...
  7. Setting Up Company Laptops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting Up Company Laptops: Hi guys My Boss wants a me to figure out how to preinstall company software onto a windows laptop, so when a new employee or existing employee needs a laptop, it's ready to be shipped out. Can anyone point me in the right direction? submitted by /u/studentONplacement...
  8. One drive stealing data

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    One drive stealing data: So i reinstalled windows 10 to clean my pc, i reconfigured all my pc again to what i like and one of those things is disable one drive cloud storage, i literally disabled everyting from one cloud but didnt uninstalled it, and guess what? it started to upload some very...
  9. Setting up a secure network so that employees don't steal company data

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting up a secure network so that employees don't steal company data: Hello, I have a small company and one of our employees just left the company and while leaving he stole most company data and gave it to our competitors. It's high time I get a secure system. I plan on setting up a server through which all internet access will be directed...
  10. Need help with setting up network and security

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help with setting up network and security: I'm looking for help with getting my network setup so I can have various programs on different computers communicate properly, but also keep my data secure. Not exactly sure where to start as networking difficulties steam back to Win 10 installation on Desktop computer. On...