Windows 10: Setting up an additional monitor to laptop

Discus and support Setting up an additional monitor to laptop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am attempting to set up an additional monitor to my laptop for work so I can see two different screens at once. I hooked the new monitor up via an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CathyMcGee1, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Setting up an additional monitor to laptop

I am attempting to set up an additional monitor to my laptop for work so I can see two different screens at once. I hooked the new monitor up via an HDMI cord to the laptop, went to display in settings but it won't let me change anything. It keeps showing me the same thing on both settings.

Can someone please tell me what the steps are to have two different things showing on my 2 screens? Do I need to purchase something else to make this work or is there a different area in settings I need to go? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

:)

CathyMcGee1, Sep 21, 2018
  2. Donna Men Win User

How to set up 2 additional monitors (3 screens in total)?

Hi StephanH_1968,

Most of the time this issue occurs due to setting configuration. As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest you to follow these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click System.
    • On the left-panel, choose Display.
    • All three screens should be displayed there, but you may see that one is disconnected.
    • Click on the screen that is disconnected or just a dark display and choose Extend desktop to this display option.

In addition, you might also check at your graphic card's control panel, such as Nvidia Control Panel, and configure the settings.

Looking forward the results.

Donna Men, Sep 21, 2018
  3. JanaBienz Win User
    Windows 10 Update Doesn't Recognize My Additional Monitors

Hi,

I've updated to Windows 10 to my laptop and it is not detecting my 2 additional monitors. I followed the instructions here, but still not working. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks:

Method 2: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the graphics/display drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your display device.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.

JanaBienz, Sep 21, 2018
  4. Sasqui Win User

Setting up an additional monitor to laptop

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

Setting up an additional monitor to laptop

1. Setting up an additional monitor to laptop - Similar Threads - Setting additional monitor

2. Laptop not projecting signal / detecting additional monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop not projecting signal / detecting additional monitors: My laptop previously connected no problem to an external monitor via HDMI. Now, the monitor displays "no signal from HDMI" when connected, and my laptop does not "detect" an external monitor. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:Rebootreplaced HDMIUsed different...
  3. Laptop not projecting signal / detecting additional monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop not projecting signal / detecting additional monitors: My laptop previously connected no problem to an external monitor via HDMI. Now, the monitor displays "no signal from HDMI" when connected, and my laptop does not "detect" an external monitor. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:Rebootreplaced HDMIUsed different...
  4. 2nd monitor set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd monitor set up: When attempting to connect 2nd monitor to pc running a hdmi cable from 2nd monitor to a dvi/hdmi adapter on computer I lose video display on the 1st monitor? How can this be fixed?Thank you.pm...
  5. How to set up 3 monitors on a Windows laptop

in Windows 10 News
    How to set up 3 monitors on a Windows laptop: [ATTACH]If you are one of those geeks who like adding multiple screens to their Laptop then this article is for you. In this article, we present to you a guide to 3 Monitor Setup on Windows Laptop. So, read everything as you may not want to miss even a single step. Can I...
  6. Setting Up 4 Monitors on Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting Up 4 Monitors on Laptop: I have an Nvidia graphics card in my laptop that supports 4 monitors however I am currently limited to using 3. I belivie this is because the monitors are being run on the Intel GPU. Could somebody please help or provide some guidance on how to utilize the 4 monitor...
  7. Monitor Set Up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Set Up: I’ve got two systems that I’d like both to share dual monitors. Is there a switch that exists that would allow me to do this? submitted by /u/Mobilematt1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/isvesy/monitor_set_up/
  8. 5 Monitor Set-Up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    5 Monitor Set-Up: Hello! I am having difficulty setting up 5 monitors. I can't find a clear answer or solution for this issue anywhere! I can easily get 3 monitors to work. My graphics card GPU supports more than three monitors, I made sure when I bought it. Currently I only have the...
  9. additional monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    additional monitors: HI I have 2 additional monitors plugged into my laptop, but it is only seeing 1 of them. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/additional-monitors/45fba952-d375-4eab-a7dc-227270d48c97
  10. Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop.: I apologize if this has been asked. I've scoured for the answer and either can't find it or my situation is a bit different. I use my laptop and monitor a bit different than what I have seen online. My monitor is large so I don't really need it to be side by side with my...