Windows 10: Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is there a way to create a local account on my PC for my elementary-aged children without having to create online Microsoft accounts for them? I've... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JayVR, Jan 29, 2019.

1. JayVR Win User

Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10

Is there a way to create a local account on my PC for my elementary-aged children without having to create online Microsoft accounts for them? I've been exploring both the "add a family member" and the "add someone else to this PC" options, neither of which are amenable to what I'm trying to accomplish. The whole set-up looks super buggy and very sketchy to me; Microsoft says that they're protecting my kids from unwanted online experiences but then they charge me $.50 per child whose accounts they say in the next breath they'll treat like any other Microsoft account.

This used to be easy when Google let parents created "supervised users" and I could specify exactly one or two sites my kids were allowed to play educational games on in the Chrome Browser. But Google has since suspended that in exchange for Family Link, which would require me to buy a Chromebook.

Whether it's Windows/Microsoft or Chrome/Google, the whole apparatus has shifted away from "helping parents protect their kids" to "helping parents turn their kids into little account holders and marketing targets." If somebody has a workaround to any of this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

:)

JayVR, Jan 29, 2019
  2. Hapuku Win User

adding user accounts for children

The customer:

"It is overbearing for Microsoft to require children to either have an e-mail or phone number"

The (unhelpful technician):

"I suggest you to follow the steps how to create the child account as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key and select settings.
    • Click on Account and select Family and other users.
    • Then click add someone else to this pc and select add child’s account
    • Enter the child’s email address and click on Next."

This is becoming such a trend. Please read the details that someone has gone to the trouble of providing so that you can respond HELPFULLY.

Hapuku, Jan 29, 2019
  3. No listings for Web Activity for children's accounts

I set up our two Windows 10 laptops with children's accounts several days ago. The reports do not list any web activity for them, even though they have been online. Does the reporting feature work only with the Edge browser? Our children use Chrome.

carston1998, Jan 29, 2019
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setting children's accounts

2. Reset children account password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reset children account password: Hi,My son lost doesn't remember password to his account and now it is locked. This account was only used for Minecraft for PS4 - no emails sent. Is there a way to reset password for this account as a member of family?I was trying submitting form for recovery of account but I...
  3. Reset children account password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset children account password: Hi,My son lost doesn't remember password to his account and now it is locked. This account was only used for Minecraft for PS4 - no emails sent. Is there a way to reset password for this account as a member of family?I was trying submitting form for recovery of account but I...
  4. Reset children account password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Connecting Children’s Accounts

Connecting Children’s Accounts: I created accounts for my kids and need to connect them to my family group. Since they’re minors, this requires my consent, which I’m asked to give by “signing” a form. To sign, I’m supposed to type my name which doesn’t make much sense. When I do so, I’m prompted that my...
  6. Connecting Children’s Accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting Children’s Accounts: I created accounts for my kids and need to connect them to my family group. Since they’re minors, this requires my consent, which I’m asked to give by “signing” a form. To sign, I’m supposed to type my name which doesn’t make much sense. When I do so, I’m prompted that my...
  7. Connecting Children’s Accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. setting up a new account in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    setting up a new account in windows 10: I need to set up a new user for my laptop as I am sending it in for repair. I do not need to connect it to an email address or register it into Microsoft. I set one up but cannot get to it as it does not show up when clicking on the window. How can I access that new user....
  9. Children Account does not work properly in Windows 10 Pro

Children Account does not work properly in Windows 10 Pro: He,llo I have created a children account in the family function a while back. It works nice in Win 10 Home on a notebook, so login times, apps and websites are limited to the settings I have made. But now I have allowed my daughter to use another desktop PC, and this one has...
  10. Setting children accounts

Setting children accounts: Hi. I upgraded to win10 and tried to redefine my children accounts. I had no problem with one of them who had hotmail.com mail address. But I can't add the other one having outlook.com address. The invitation was sent to the child, he accepted it but his account is still...