Windows 10: Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is there a way to create a local account on my PC for my elementary-aged children without having to create online Microsoft accounts for them? I've... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JayVR, Jan 29, 2019.

1. JayVR Win User

Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10

Is there a way to create a local account on my PC for my elementary-aged children without having to create online Microsoft accounts for them? I've been exploring both the "add a family member" and the "add someone else to this PC" options, neither of which are amenable to what I'm trying to accomplish. The whole set-up looks super buggy and very sketchy to me; Microsoft says that they're protecting my kids from unwanted online experiences but then they charge me $.50 per child whose accounts they say in the next breath they'll treat like any other Microsoft account.

This used to be easy when Google let parents created "supervised users" and I could specify exactly one or two sites my kids were allowed to play educational games on in the Chrome Browser. But Google has since suspended that in exchange for Family Link, which would require me to buy a Chromebook.

Whether it's Windows/Microsoft or Chrome/Google, the whole apparatus has shifted away from "helping parents protect their kids" to "helping parents turn their kids into little account holders and marketing targets." If somebody has a workaround to any of this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

:)

JayVR, Jan 29, 2019
  2. Hapuku Win User

adding user accounts for children

The customer:

"It is overbearing for Microsoft to require children to either have an e-mail or phone number"

The (unhelpful technician):

"I suggest you to follow the steps how to create the child account as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key and select settings.
    • Click on Account and select Family and other users.
    • Then click add someone else to this pc and select add child’s account
    • Enter the child’s email address and click on Next."

This is becoming such a trend. Please read the details that someone has gone to the trouble of providing so that you can respond HELPFULLY.

Hapuku, Jan 29, 2019
  3. No listings for Web Activity for children's accounts

I set up our two Windows 10 laptops with children's accounts several days ago. The reports do not list any web activity for them, even though they have been online. Does the reporting feature work only with the Edge browser? Our children use Chrome.

carston1998, Jan 29, 2019
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Setting up children's accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setting children's accounts

2. Setting up a Roadrunner email account on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting up a Roadrunner email account on Windows 10: Using the windows 10 mail app it is easy to set up the email account with only the email address and password. the problem is that I do not receive mail on my windows 10 laptop or iPhone when my email / PC Outlook is open. If outlook is closed on my PC emails will show up on...
  3. Setting Up Mail in WIndows 10 for a verizon account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Up Mail in WIndows 10 for a verizon account: How can I set up my verizon account in the mail app? I have tried all the suggestions for the incoming and outgoing servers and nothing seems to work. Nowadays the way to access verizon mail is through AOL and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it...
  4. Windows 10 email Setting up 2 accounts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 email Setting up 2 accounts.: I have a Windows 10 system and have 2 email accounts that I use. I have successfully installed both accounts but the least used account is the default/open first account. How can I change which account is seen first? Or in other words how can I get the other account to show...
  5. Set up account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set up account: How do I set up a local administrator account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-account/acfac99c-4589-44eb-b7a8-60faae4ffaac
  6. Windows 10 screen set up for gmail account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 screen set up for gmail account: How can I reconfigure windows 10 screen for gmail account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-screen-set-up-for-gmail-account/f6f75b17-bebe-4ff8-8727-6c691f5fb3ef
  7. Setting up a micorsoft account.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up a micorsoft account.: Trying to set up a new computer with a new account for my office that is separate from my home. No matter what I try, it doesn't fit my needs. How did creating a new account get me here?...
  8. setting up back up account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    setting up back up account: I am trying to set up a cloud back up account. I enter my email and it accepts it but never brings up the next page. How do I get past this page so I can set up a back up against malware?...
  9. Setting up Local User Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Setting up Local User Account in Windows 10: [ATTACH] When creating a local Windows 10 Account, the administrator will be prompted to set up three security questions. This is important and required to make sure there is an option to recover the account when the user forgets the password. [...] This post How to skip...
  10. Setting children accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting children accounts: Hi. I upgraded to win10 and tried to redefine my children accounts. I had no problem with one of them who had hotmail.com mail address. But I can't add the other one having outlook.com address. The invitation was sent to the child, he accepted it but his account is still...