Windows 10: Setting up default spelling and proofing language in windows mail

Discus and support Setting up default spelling and proofing language in windows mail in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello to all, I have just set up gmail account in windows 10 mail app. It looks great but immediately I noticed something that annoys me. I cannot... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Askic, May 4, 2016.

1. Askic Win User

Setting up default spelling and proofing language in windows mail

Hello to all,

I have just set up gmail account in windows 10 mail app. It looks great but immediately I noticed something that annoys me.
    I cannot figure out how to set up default language proofing? Fr example I live in Europe and I have set up my default keyboard and location to match my country, bu because of my job I have to write a lot of emails in English and in German.
    I found that it is not possible to switch to language when writing email. For example, when I create new email and choose language in the upper part, immediately when I start typing it switches back to default language layout. This setting is simply not remembered. So when I type almost all words are red - underlined

Right now the only way is to finish writing the complete email, then select all and chose to for example English language, and then proofing tool shows typos. Basically this way it takes me more time writing email in windows mail app comparing to gmail web.

Does anyone have similar issue?

:)

Askic, May 4, 2016

2. Spelling or Proofing Language on Mail App for Windows 10

So the answer to "I want to change the proofing language for some message" is "you should change the default language of the whole computer, and reboot"??????

Does Microsoft realize that there are people who may need to send messages in several different languages in the course of their work? I routinely have to e-mail in at least three languages (English, Italian and Spanish), and according to this answer if
    I want to spell check what I write I would have to change default language on my machine and reboot every time I need to write a message in another language.

Is there no other way to change the spelling language for a single message?

RSchiaffino, May 4, 2016
  3. UK English Option presents me with American Spellings

I've set my language to English (UK) but the system still has US Spellings (Although the Proofing accepts only UK spellings). It's just SO annoying!

WHAT IS THE POINT OF SETTING MY LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH UK IF THE MICROSOFT APPLICATIONS CONTINUE TO SPELL THE AMERICAN WAY?

Student678, May 4, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Ignore the language selection drop-down in the Windows 10 Mail App and add a second language to Windows itself instead.

Go to Start > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language > Add Language > English

Click on German and make sure it's still set as the Default Language (Main Windows Display Language), this is important, and have English as a second language for typing only.

Click on English and go to Options. Presumably you have a German physical keyboard on your computer and it contains all the English letters, so in which case remove the English keyboard it automatically assigns for English language and add a German Keyboard instead as that's what you're actually going to be typing on.

Use the language selector (Microsoft call it 'Input Indicator') on the right-hand side of the Windows taskbar to switch between the language you want to type in (or use Windows Key + Space Bar to switch language instead). Spell check whilst typing in the Mail app, Internet Explorer, Edge, etc. will be for the language you have selected in the taskbar I.E <ENG> or <GER>.

ARC1020, May 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Setting up default spelling and proofing language in windows mail - Similar Threads - Setting default spelling

2. Spell check language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spell check language: Win11 Pro 21H2 build 22000.1281Only English UK is set in Languages/regions - No US set anywhereWhen I compose a post some words are highlighted and you are prompted to change to US spellingNo issues when using Word/365...
  3. Spell check language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spell check language: Win11 Pro 21H2 build 22000.1281Only English UK is set in Languages/regions - No US set anywhereWhen I compose a post some words are highlighted and you are prompted to change to US spellingNo issues when using Word/365...
  4. Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.: I want to change the default spellings checker in the Mail application to Dutch.I want to do this without having to change the OS language.I have read the articles on this site about a switch of proofing language but they don't provide an answer to my usecase.Having my...
  5. Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.

Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.: I want to change the default spellings checker in the Mail application to Dutch.I want to do this without having to change the OS language.I have read the articles on this site about a switch of proofing language but they don't provide an answer to my usecase.Having my...
  6. proofing in mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    proofing in mail: Hello, I regularly write emails in different languages and would like to have proofing for the different languages each time as well. Is there a way to quickly change between the different languages for the proofing? I already downloaded my preferred languages in the...
  7. Having several languages for spelling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having several languages for spelling: How do I add a 2nd language to spell check? (the function where Windows add a red underline if a word is misspelled) submitted by /u/Heteroptics [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5y04m/having_several_languages_for_spelling/
  8. Language settings set UK but spell check uses US

in Windows 10 Support
    Language settings set UK but spell check uses US: Win 10 Home. ver 1909 build 18363.476 I have language settings set to default English UK in the language section of settings - time and language. However when I type an email in Gmail it spell checks to US language e.g. colour suggests color. Is there another setting...
  9. OneNote Windows 10 Can't set proofing language to UK English

OneNote Windows 10 Can't set proofing language to UK English: All my language settings in Windows 10 are set to UK English. However, in the OneNote app I still get US english spell check prompts. Is there a way to set this to UK English? Thanks...
  10. How to set up a default language?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set up a default language?: How to set up a default language? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/how-to-set-up-a-default-language/a3f6006b-6a15-4696-85d6-d97e9e87bd3f