Windows 10: Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked

Discus and support Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a weird problem with my Windows 10 PC (v1909) - the PC is quite old, with a Gigabyte 770T-USB3 motherboard and Nvidia GTS 250 graphics... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vijtheveg, Aug 30, 2020.

1. vijtheveg Win User

Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked

Hi,

I have a weird problem with my Windows 10 PC (v1909) - the PC is quite old, with a Gigabyte 770T-USB3 motherboard and Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card. It works really well except for one annoying problem. Whenever it comes out of sleep, the screen is always black - I have tried all kinds of solutions including ones listed here. I no longer believe that this problem can be fixed (this is being caused by some issue with the display driver and DWM crashing) - this is not the problem I am writing about.

I found out that if I can change the screen resolution when the screen is blank, the screen comes back on again. I have created a scheduled task that automatically changes screen resolution when I sign in, so that if I enter the pin when the screen in blank and manage to successfully sign in, the scheduled task changes the screen resolution and the screen comes back on again. The issue is that it is really hard to sign in with the screen of Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked :)

Is there some way I can trigger the shortcut to change the screen resolution from the lock screen using a hotkey? Any other way to change screen resolution automatically after coming out of sleep or any other solutions are also greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Vij

P.S: Yes, I can buy a new graphics card, but I feel really bad throwing away something that works 99% of the time. Also, I am cheap Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked :)

P.P.S: I am using NirCmd to change the screen resolution from the command line

:)

vijtheveg, Aug 30, 2020
  2. NogtTL Win User

Shortcuts/hotkeys for text suggestion

I didn't found it official shortcut list, so I ask here.

Are there are any shortcuts/hotkeys to

• loop though text suggestions
    • insert the text suggestion

NogtTL, Aug 30, 2020
  3. YoMan Win User
    Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working

Hi,

So suddenly today while rearranging windows, snapping stopped working.

I'm unable to snap windows using the Win + Left/Right/Up/Down. Moving the windows with the mouse still works, but not with the keyboard hotkeys. As you can imagine this is incredibly inconvenient as I snap windows with the keyboard all day.

If the window is selected the old alt+space hotkey still works, but that only allows me to max/min windows not move them around the screen.

This is what my current multitasking settings are set to:

Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked [​IMG]

I tried switching virtual desktops, but it persists across all desktops.

Of course I've tried restarting the computer, twice to no avail.
    I'm also tried running the latest update, but alas that too hadn't changed anything.

Other keyboard shortcuts involving the windows key continue to work, ie I can open explorer with win+e, open run with win+r minimize all windows with win+d, win+[number] still opens the corresponding taskbar program, etc.

I've also tried using a different keyboard, I usually use an external keyboard but I tried using the built in keyboard as well as the virtual keyboard, neither yielded a different result.

I've already tried/looked at the following:
    keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 7 UI aero snap features
    Aero Snap - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

YoMan, Aug 30, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked - Similar Threads - Setting hotkey keyboard

2. Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.: Basically, in every game I play the hotkeys for f1-f9 dont work because my keyboard has special hotkeys for them such as turning up brightness or lowering volume etc. i want to make it so that my computer prioritizes the game hotkeys instead of the keyboard hotkeysheres a...
  3. Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.: Basically, in every game I play the hotkeys for f1-f9 dont work because my keyboard has special hotkeys for them such as turning up brightness or lowering volume etc. i want to make it so that my computer prioritizes the game hotkeys instead of the keyboard hotkeysheres a...
  4. Keyboard Backlight not working with Hotkey

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Backlight not working with Hotkey: HI, I have a asus vivobook flip 14. I had keyboard hotkeysF1 TO F12 working. Due to a issue, i did a clean install of windows 10.After that i l cannot turn on keyboard backlight using the f7 key. I have my asus app and asus control interface v3. All other hotkeys are working....
  5. Shortcut/HotKey for Application Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut/HotKey for Application Not Working: I recently learned that I can assign a specific hotkey to open up an application such as "ctrl + alt + s" to open Spotify. However, when I attempt to use the hotkey I have assigned for Microsoft Edge, it will not work. I have to go in, reassign the hotkey, and then, until I...
  6. KEYBOARD SHORTCUT or Hotkey to a folder or drive not working

in Windows 10 Support
    KEYBOARD SHORTCUT or Hotkey to a folder or drive not working: Windows 10 offers it but I do not know the magic trick to make it actually work : [img] Right here windows is giving me hope that this is possible. but so far I have not been able to make it give me a shortcut to a folder. I need it to open it up in a manner that its...
  7. Shortcut hotkeys for aplication shortcut not working?! Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut hotkeys for aplication shortcut not working?! Help: I want to use a hotkey combo for my application shortcut. I put it to ctrl+alt+v and saved it, but then when I use the combo nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. :) submitted by /u/SolidIcecube [link] [comments]...
  8. Keyboard Shortcuts/Hotkeys aren't working!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Shortcuts/Hotkeys aren't working!: Hi, I recently just got a refurbished laptop from an auction. The keyboard shortcuts (ex: ctrl + c) don't work, anything I've read online is not working. It's a windows 10, but some of the settings and layout is a bit different. I don't know much, as I just got it today. Can...
  9. Hotkeys or desktop keyboard (not TypePad) shortcut for SLEEP

in Windows 10 Support
    Hotkeys or desktop keyboard (not TypePad) shortcut for SLEEP: Win 10. Using Sleep button on my HP desktop keyboard works fine. WIN 10 On my Surface (SP3), using Logitech K740 illuminated keyboard with Docking station. No obvious sleep button on the keyboard. If possible: How can I create a Sleep hot button, or what is best...
  10. Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working: Hi, So suddenly today while rearranging windows, snapping stopped working. I'm unable to snap windows using the Win + Left/Right/Up/Down. Moving the windows with the mouse still works, but not with the keyboard hotkeys. As you can imagine this is incredibly inconvenient...