Windows 10: Setting up multiple desktops for different drives

Discus and support Setting up multiple desktops for different drives in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have recently gotten a second monitor, and would like to have my hard drive's files displayed on the second. Currently, i have 2 drives, a 1TB SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LeonWD12, Sep 21, 2020.

1. LeonWD12 Win User

Setting up multiple desktops for different drives

I have recently gotten a second monitor, and would like to have my hard drive's files displayed on the second.
    Currently, i have 2 drives, a 1TB SSD and a 2TB HDD, my desktop is currently using my SSD's files, but I'd like my second monitor to have the files of my HDD without having to set up a shortcut for every new file. Is this possible, and if so, how?

:)

LeonWD12, Sep 21, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Different Background for Multiple Desktops

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi! Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

I probably should have a been a bit more descriptive though. I do have two monitors, and on these two monitors, I have 3 different desktops set up. I did this by clicking on the "Task View" button on the taskbar and adding 2 new desktops for a total of three.
    My goal is to have the same background color on both monitors for each separate desktop...For example, both monitors have a background of blue on desktop 1, both monitors have grey on desktop 2, and both monitors have red for desktop 3. Hope this makes sense,
    and thank you for your help!

BrianCasey1, Sep 21, 2020
  4. Setting up multiple desktops for different drives

Multiple Desktops

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would require some more information to assist you better.

• What is the make & model of the computer?
    • When you say multiple desktop are you referring to task view?
    • When you try to put different apps on different desktops what happens next?
    • Do you get any error message?

Windows 10 would have the multiple desktops option. Besides having independent backgrounds and icons, each desktop should have independent windows of the same program running.

The information is not sufficient to answer your question. Reply us with more information by answering the above questions

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Setting up multiple desktops for different drives

1. Setting up multiple desktops for different drives - Similar Threads - Setting multiple desktops

2. multiple desktops in windows with different backgrounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    multiple desktops in windows with different backgrounds: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/multiple-desktops-in-windows-36f52e38-5b4a-557b-2ff9-e1a60c976434#articleFooterSupportBridge=communityBridgeGives the option to use different backgrounds on the different backgrounds. I use this to tell them appart. I use one to...
  3. multiple desktops in windows with different backgrounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple desktops in windows with different backgrounds: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/multiple-desktops-in-windows-36f52e38-5b4a-557b-2ff9-e1a60c976434#articleFooterSupportBridge=communityBridgeGives the option to use different backgrounds on the different backgrounds. I use this to tell them appart. I use one to...
  4. Multiple Set ups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Set ups: I am trying to set up Muiltiple laptops for a client, with windows 11 intrusive way to set up a new pc instead of creating a local account, can I create the one account for the PC set up a local account as admin then delete the account I set the computer up with ?...
  5. Multiple Set ups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Set ups: I am trying to set up Muiltiple laptops for a client, with windows 11 intrusive way to set up a new pc instead of creating a local account, can I create the one account for the PC set up a local account as admin then delete the account I set the computer up with ?...
  6. Setting up multiple monitors on different graphics adapters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting up multiple monitors on different graphics adapters: My Windows 10 PC has an Intel HD 4600 graphics co-processor with dual DisplayPort outputs, but DisplayPort #2 is not working. I believe it is a hardware problem. So I have added a NVIDIA GeForce 210 graphics card for the second display.Display Manager / Display Adapters shows...
  7. Multiple desktops, different icons

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Multiple desktops, different icons: Hello So, I know how to use multiple desktops. Does anyone know a way to make it so that for example, Desktop 2 shows no Desktop Icons whereas Desktop 1 will show Desktop Icons? I can accept using 3rd-party software to make this work. - - - Updated - - - Why was this...
  8. Multiple desktops, different icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple desktops, different icons: Hello So, I know how to use multiple desktops. Does anyone know a way to make it so that for example, Desktop 2 shows no Desktop Icons whereas Desktop 1 will show Desktop Icons? I can accept using 3rd-party software to make this work. 159223
  9. Multiple Desktop settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Desktop settings: Is there any possible way to open a new document in excel/word/publisher etc on a new desktop window without the computer taking you back to the last desktop that application was used? I'm constantly having to jump back and forth to move files when I need different excel...
  10. How to set up shared drive for multiple users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set up shared drive for multiple users: Hi all, Recently got myself a new computer (laptop), and just wondering what's the best way to set this up? I have a (256Gb) SSD which is for Windows/programs, and 1TB HDD for docs, pics, music and game installs. My computer is shared between my wife and I, and we...