Windows 10: Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC...

Discus and support Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For some time, I have been using OneDrive on my 'phone (successfully, but limited to only a few files and photos). I've now tried to set it up on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Peter B, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Peter B Win User

Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC...

For some time, I have been using OneDrive on my 'phone (successfully, but limited to only a few files and photos).

I've now tried to set it up on my Laptop, with a view to linking and uploading all my files - Documents, Pictures etc.

However, in the setup 'wizard', I'm not presented with the option of linking any of the Folders on my Laptop - instead, I can only see the 2 existing folders that currently appear in my online OneDrive account (i.e. those which I originally set up from my 'phone).

I'm not sure where to go from here, I've read the tutorials, but can't figure it out.

Any suggestions, please?

:)

Peter B, Oct 24, 2015
  2. Kevin J S Win User

Automatic upload to OneDrive

The Luginy Kid -

Thank you for posting on the Windows Phone Community.

It sounds like everything on your phone is set up correctly. There is one thing with the OneDrive account that you'll want to check, in this situation. Open up OneDrive from a PC browser, and change the permissions for that album to be Public.

Let us know if that works!

Regards,

Kevin J S, Oct 24, 2015
  3. amacabama Win User
    OneDrive crashes on Mobile

That's an improvment: resetting and then running the OneDrive app the second time allowed me to see the files on OneDrive. However, photos still don't sync (at all) to OneDrive - Photos | Settings shows the amount of storage space used on OneDrive
    correctly, and Camaer Upload Settings look correct, but no sync takes place. Is there any way of doing the equivalent of "Unlink this PC" on the desktop?

A

amacabama, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC...

Hi,
    To get your current documents etc onto Onedrive its a manual process

So in file explorer, click on the Documents folder under This PC and select everything in it, then move this to the documents folder on Onedrive

Same for Music, Pictures etc

Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC... [​IMG]

Once you have moved everything into the Onedrive folders, these will all upload and stay in sync with whats on your PC

If you want all future files to auto save there, right click Onedrive icon in the taskbar and select settings
    You need to go to this tab and select what you want auto saved to Onedrive

Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC... [​IMG]

paulsalter, Oct 24, 2015
  5. Dude Win User
  6. Peter B Win User
    Paul

Thanks for your reply - isn't there a way of maintaining the original Documents Folder as the 'master' folder into which I save everything as usual, with just a link to OneDrive that will automatically upload any changes?

Or, failing that, would I have to 'move/relocate' all my Folders into the One Drive Folder? And is there a downside to that?

Dude

I don't like the 'Libraries' option, I want to save my files to their 'default' locations.

Peter B, Oct 24, 2015
  7. There might be a way of tricking it into linking to the current location, but its not something I have looked at

I moved everything of mine into the onedrive folder and then set the defaults in the onedrive app to save there, everything I create now automatically goes to the onedrive folder and is synced with the cloud

Not aware of any downsides in doing this, the files are still stored locally, just have the added benefit of being on onedrive also

The original locations on the PC as still there, so if you have anything confidential that you don't want to upload, you can just save it here instead

paulsalter, Oct 24, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

You can change the location of your documents folder so it is in OneDrive.

Right click on properties of the documents folder, location tab and change it to C:\Users\<name>\OneDrive\Documents.

It will ask you if you want to move your existing content - just say yes.

After that any time you select documents or OneDrive\Documents it will take you to the same place. You can do the same with Music, Photos etc also.

9. Peter B Win User
    Thanks all, now sorted...

Peter B, Oct 25, 2015
  10. Peter B Win User
    Just a quick caveat to my 'solution' - Microsoft Outlook doesn't like the fact that its Data File is now in the OneDrive Folder and won't play ball at sending and receiving emails...I'm frantically trying to solve that now...

Peter B, Oct 25, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    Don't think you can do that as Outlook locks the pst. Using OneDrive or Cloud Storage for PST Files

12. Peter B Win User
    Hi Halasz

The only reason it's caused me a problem is because the default location for the Outlook Folder containing the .pst file is within the Documents Folder, which, of course, I'd linked to OneDrive.

Later, I'm going to try and move the Outlook Folder up a level into my Username Folder and see what happens - it's supposed to be simple to do and easy to redirect Outlook to the new location...depending on which site you 'Google'...

Peter B, Oct 25, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

It isn't clear to me what you actually did.

When you change the location of your Documents folder to OneDrive it doesn't actually move it. What it moves is the association of where "My Documents" is.

For example, I have moved "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music" to OneDrive. Almost everything goes there.

However some programs (Microsoft RDP is an example) still hard code the path. That is they say they still use C:\Users\Nori\Documents rather than follow the correct path C:\Users\Nori\OneDrive\Documents

14. Peter B Win User
    Hi again

I used the 'Move' option under the 'Location' Tab in my Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos Folders and redirected them to the (My Username) OneDrive Folder path.

The only glitch I receive is from Microsoft Outlook, because its default path to the Data File is C:\Users\(myusername)\Documents\Outlook Files\(my mailbox name).pst

All files from all 4 Folders are uploaded correctly to OneDrive, but afterwards, when I open Outlook, it is still looking for the original file path, saying that the path it found is C:\Users\(myusername)\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files\(my mailbox name).pst and it says that's invalid/incorrect.

That's why I was thinking of trying to move Outlook out of my Documents Folder and exclude it from the One Drive sync.

Peter B, Oct 25, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    I've not used Outlook for a while but I guess you can still move the location of your data files. My partner uses Outlook 2016 - I'll try to see if the pst location can still be changed and see.

Bottom line is you need it explicitly defined to be outside your OneDrive though.

What version do you use? I have Office 2010, she uses 2016. If you use either of these I could check it better.

Thema:

1. Setting up OneDrive correctly on a PC... - Similar Threads - Setting OneDrive correctly

2. Setting up Onedrive on a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Onedrive on a laptop: I have a desktop computer running Office 365 in Win 11. I am trying to set up a laptop also running Win 11 and authorized to run Office 365. I don't need to see everything on my desktop computer on my laptop. I want to be able to pick and choose which folders and icons show...
  3. Setting up Onedrive on a laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up Onedrive on a laptop: I have a desktop computer running Office 365 in Win 11. I am trying to set up a laptop also running Win 11 and authorized to run Office 365. I don't need to see everything on my desktop computer on my laptop. I want to be able to pick and choose which folders and icons show...
  4. Unable to set correct time in PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to set correct time in PC: If I set the time to manual it will gradually lose time. If I set the update to automatic it will constantly be two minutes ahead of any other time server that I connect to. I think I need to change the time server but do not know how to do that. ***Original title: My...
  5. Onedrive not working correctly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Onedrive not working correctly: Screenshots not working, most icons of jpg's don't show the picture - only the PSP , windows or whatever logo When double-tapped just get a blank window instead of it being opened by PSP my designated graphics program Never had this until recent new Win 10 installation on...
  6. OneDrive not synced correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive not synced correctly: I now have 2 documents/pictures folders (C:/[user]/OneDrive/Documents and C:/[user]/Documents) but they're not the "same" folder. I thought the idea was after installing OneDrive it would just be a back-up program, but turns out it's its own folder where stuff actually gets...
  7. registry not set up correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
    registry not set up correctly: I am trying to install a client on a win10 laptop. I get the message "registry not set up correctly" I have tried putting the keys directly into registry but still not working. This is a brand new machine and is up to date. ver 1903...
  8. Pc not starting up correctly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc not starting up correctly: Windows 10 opens with Blue Screen with windows Logo in ctr. Goes into Automatic repair. can not get in to anything? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-not-starting-up-correctly/ad2c2f34-8888-410f-90cb-7d3ed7e664c0
  9. Setting up OneDrive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up OneDrive: Since the largest Microsoft Window's 10 update, OneDrive has stopped working. In order to set it up, I'm suppose to use my email address which I created using one of the many well known ones. I even tried using one email account that I have used for years and nothing...
  10. "Set up OneDrive"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Set up OneDrive": In the 'Windows Defender Security Center" program, "Security at a glance"....The 'Virus & threat protection' show an exclamation mark (!). Then below "Set up OneDrive" in a gray box. If I click in the gray box it just opens my folder in OneDrive. I have access to...