Windows 10: Setting up User Accounts

Discus and support Setting up User Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a new refugee from Windows 7, with not much computer knowledge. On W7 I had one admin account and one user account, so that I could use the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by windose, Jan 24, 2020.

1. windose Win User

Setting up User Accounts

Hi, I'm a new refugee from Windows 7, with not much computer knowledge.

On W7 I had one admin account and one user account, so that I could use the latter for daily use and just go admin for downloads and backups. I'd like to do the same with W10, but this new system with accounts linked to email addresses has me pretty confused.

I bought a new laptop and set up W10 with my Hotmail account, and then tried setting up another user account using a different alias on the same Hotmail address. It accepted it, but the login page displayed user name and not email address, so I couldn't readily see the difference between the two accounts. Ideally I'd set Hotmail with different usernames for each alias, but I don't think I can do that, and I didn't really want the muddle and inconvenience of having different emails for each account if I can avoid it.

I suppose another option is to use a local account, but I don't know what functionality I lose by doing that.

Are there any simple ways to set it up like I had W7?

Also, if I want software downloaded by admin to be available to user, does the user account need to be family, or is that option just for children and parental controls?

Thanks.

:)

windose, Jan 24, 2020
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 24, 2020
  3. User Account Settings

Hello,

To better help you with your concern, kindly provide us the following:

• Screenshot of the User Account Settings that you are trying to access.
    • Steps that you have done with the registry.
    Looking forward to your response.

Jamille Nar, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

Setting up User Accounts

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Setting up User Accounts

1. Setting up User Accounts - Similar Threads - Setting User Accounts

2. User Account Settings

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Settings: Question: I have created a new user account with administration rights. I want to delete this existing user account with standard rights. If I delete the account, will all the install programs and files under this account also be deleted? Or what other solutions can I do to...
  3. User Account Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Settings: Why can't I change User Account Settings now when I previously could? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-account-settings/81a7dba3-9eb4-41ad-bd80-73ba84674f43
  4. User Accounts and settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Accounts and settings: I somehow created a local account and user accountLogged on using microsoft account both are admin account. I want the user account as the admin only account and remove the local account but I couldn't remove the local account. If removing isn't possible I want to merge the...
  5. Cannot set up local user account

Cannot set up local user account: Hello I am simply trying to set up a local user account on my computer for someone who does not have a microsoft account. Unfortunately, when the person tries to sign in, firstly their name does not appear as the other user - only the generic 'other user' account appears....
  6. User account settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User account settings: My administrative user account automatically changed to local user administrator. My keyboard connections got short, and a technician disabled it keyboard. Now I am passing time on touch keyboard. After disabling keyboard, I'm facing this issue of local account. I don't...
  7. Setting up Local User Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Setting up Local User Account in Windows 10: [ATTACH] When creating a local Windows 10 Account, the administrator will be prompted to set up three security questions. This is important and required to make sure there is an option to recover the account when the user forgets the password. [...] This post How to skip...
  8. Set up user account profile to be readable by another user?

Set up user account profile to be readable by another user?: My goal is to set up permissions on a user account profile to be readable by another user. I'm setting up such scheme for an automated backup purpose. So, say I have two standard user accounts -- User A that is a general user of the system, whose data will be backed up:...
  9. How To Set Up User Accounts On First Installing?

How To Set Up User Accounts On First Installing?: I mean I've done it wrong. How to get it right. I just made a new win10 install on a new hard drive. And without thinking I gave my username as george - my son's name - and went ahead. Now he's an admin login. Which is no good. When I first realised I thought I'd...
  10. Setting up a separated user account

Setting up a separated user account: Kind of a weird question, though I'm sure you can guess what I'm asking about. Is there a way to create a user account that is hidden from the other users on a computer, or at least hidden from the initial login screen? Even more preferable, though I'm sure probably not...