Windows 10: Setting up Windows 10 on a refurbished machine

Discus and support Setting up Windows 10 on a refurbished machine in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Probably a daft thing to ask but I have bought my grandson a refurbished machine and it opens to the Windows screen but I want to set it up so that he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:07 AM.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Setting up Windows 10 on a refurbished machine

Probably a daft thing to ask but I have bought my grandson a refurbished machine and it opens to the Windows screen but I want to set it up so that he has a PIN number to get into the machine and also how to make him the administrator.

Are there simple steps that I can make to set the machine up like that please any thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated.

:)

2. Jareth(2) Win User

Windows 10 Refurbished Machine

Hi,

I'm working with a company that recently purchased Windows 10 refurbished machines. One of the machines has become corrupted during a Windows Update, and any recovery will not work. I'm going to reinstall Windows but none of these machines have license
    stickers on them, although they all show activated.

How can I ensure I don't run into activation issues when reinstalling the OS.

Thanks,

Chris

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

4. Setting up Windows 10 on a refurbished machine

Win 10 for refurbished machines

I just purchased a refurbished win 10 machine with an OEM win10 Home for refurbished machines.

I activated it and it runs well.

My questions are as follows.

1. Can I upgrade the old 500GB HD to an SSD?

2. How do I go about installing the SSD and transfering over the OS? (from a 500GB HD to a 500GB SSD ... there has been nothing installed except for drivers for a new video card)

3. The size of the 'old HD" is larger than the "new SSD" (likely due to over provisioning supported in win10)

4. I am leary of using the Samsung migration software since prior migrations were fraught with problems

Thanks in advance

Confused

ConfusedaboutWIN10, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:10 AM
Thema:

Setting up Windows 10 on a refurbished machine

1. Setting up Windows 10 on a refurbished machine - Similar Threads - Setting refurbished machine

2. Activation of Windows 10 on a refurbished laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation of Windows 10 on a refurbished laptop: I purchased a refurbished Toshiba laptop and tried to install Windows 10 but the laptop wouldn't accept my product code and gave the error code 0x80070057....
  3. Activating Windows 10 on a refurbished PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Activating Windows 10 on a refurbished PC: I just bought an HP desktop computer that has Windows 10 on it. The computer is refurbished, so I expected to find a working copy of Windows on it. I'd like to avoid having to buy a new copy of Windows if possible since the price tag is currently too high for me. Any help...
  4. Windows 10 Pro for refurbished PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro for refurbished PC: Hello. I recently purchased a refurbished laptop, that came with Windows 10 Pro, but would not boot completely into the operating system. Since it would not boot completely, I could not navigate to the restore or fresh start options, to restore the operating system to...
  5. Help setting up my network in a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help setting up my network in a virtual machine: Running Win10 in VirtualBox on my Mac, I am having troubles setting up the network inside the VM. I need to map a network drive inside Win10 to access my business network server. I tried automatic and manual IP settings, nothing seems to work. The network adapter is set up...
  6. Setting up Virtual Machine

Setting up Virtual Machine: If I have Windows 10 Pro preinstalled on my computer, can I run a second Virtual Machine on the same computer with the same license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-virtual-machine/891f1919-6f08-440e-a8f0-45e4be533dd9"
  7. Windows 10 Refurbished Machine

Windows 10 Refurbished Machine: Hi, I'm working with a company that recently purchased Windows 10 refurbished machines. One of the machines has become corrupted during a Windows Update, and any recovery will not work. I'm going to reinstall Windows but none of these machines have license stickers on...
  8. Refurbished computer with windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Refurbished computer with windows 10: I recently purchased a computer through walmart.com. I came with Windows 10. I had to call your company to get it activated. Now, when I try to download anything it asks for a password before I can open the files. I never made a password and my Microsoft password doesn't...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Refurbisher Install

Windows 10 Pro Refurbisher Install: Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows 8 and i bough refurbished with Windows 10 Pro - COA sticker attached, but not a traditional sticker with 25 Characters. When I reinstall with the system isn't activated and i cant change the product key as there is no 25 character Key. I...
  10. Win 10 for refurbished machines

Win 10 for refurbished machines: I just purchased a refurbished win 10 machine with an OEM win10 Home for refurbished machines. I activated it and it runs well. My questions are as follows. 1. Can I upgrade the old 500GB HD to an SSD? 2. How do I go about installing the SSD and transfering over the OS?...