Windows 10: Setting up Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Setting up Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I got a faster computer because I work part time in the 3D industry. So I decided to get Windows 10 Pro as it wasn't that much more in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RAMWolff, Jan 13, 2017.

1. RAMWolff Win User

Setting up Windows 10 Pro

Hi,

I got a faster computer because I work part time in the 3D industry. So I decided to get Windows 10 Pro as it wasn't that much more in the bundled software that came with my custom rig. I'm very close to shutting down this older machine and bringing this one fully live.

One issue I keep running into is that when I try to make certain programs the default it will not allow me to do that. UH, I'm the sole owner, I'm the Admin so why is Windows denying me this?

Examples. For my picture viewer and quickie fixes I LOVE LOVE LOVE Irfanview. When setting up the program I gave permission to have be the default. Upon getting it installed all of a sudden all these little pop ups from the system telling me it was setting things back to default picture viewer.

Same issue happened with Firefox being my default over IE or Edge.

What gives and how I can I force Windows to stop being a little bitch about this? LOL

Thanks

Richard

:)

RAMWolff, Jan 13, 2017

2. Setting up Windows 10 pro for dummies?

I don't have the exact steps in memory, but the first time you turn on the computer it should prompt you for some basic information including what user name and password you want to use on the computer.

What happens when you turn on yours for the first time?

Solar-Eclipse, Jan 13, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Setting up Windows 10 pro for dummies?

Thank you for your service. It's an honor to help you.

You're way ahead of me because I did not serve. By the time I moved to the United States I was too old for the draft and didn't join on my own.

But one way we are equal is that we both started out not having a clue how to use a computer. Today I am very comfortable with technology and you can be too. It all comes down to how you like to learn.

If you like to learn from a book, there are plenty of great books on Windows 10 written at an introductory level. I loved this. I had several and I read them through, page by page, cover to cover. Fabulous.

If there's a school near you why not take a course. Again, look for something at a very basic level. Nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, you can trade stories with your equally clueless classmates that will make you both laugh.

Don't overlook the internet. Whenever you search always add 'simple explanation' or 'tutorial' or 'for dummies' or something like that in your search term. (Leave off the quotes.) You'll be amazed at what you can find.

BulldogXX, Jan 13, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your default programs.

spunk, Jan 13, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Won't work, it'll just get reset back again.

Apparently the reason some older apps (and Infranview in particular) cause this problem is...

Has Windows 10 reset your default apps back to Microsoft stock?

Microsoft tightened up on the use of deprecated methods of setting defaults with the release of cumulative update KB3135173 nearly a year ago. I have the OEM-installed 'Excel 2010 Starter' which now triggers a string of "an app default was reset" every time I use its 'File.. Open...' (though fortunately none of the defaults actually seem to get reset).

@RAMWolff The 'solution' is to install the latest version which (hopefully) should have had the deprecated code rewritten. This has been discussed on the Infranview forum.
    default program

6. swarfega Win User
    Sometimes you have to reset default programs in order for it to work properly.

swarfega, Jan 13, 2017
  7. RAMWolff Win User
    Thanks so much Bree. The funny thing is the Firefox version is the newest one! So not sure what's going on with that. I'll see if Irfanview's got a new download available. Thanks folks!

RAMWolff, Jan 13, 2017
  8. RAMWolff Win User

Well apparently my Irfanview is a bit outdated and they now have a 64 bit version. Got both and the plugins. YAY!

RAMWolff, Jan 13, 2017
  9. There was a new version of IrfanView released at the start of this month.

I think its obvious what the real reasons for W10 complaining about 3rd party software are (hint: they aren't related to deprecation at all). *Mad

lehnerus2000, Jan 13, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Is that a "Yay! I can set it as default without complaint now!" ?

If so, it may stop your Firefox being kicked out. Whenever I've had a string of "an app default has been reset" notifications 'Edge for html' was usually one of them, regardless of what app triggered the resets.

11. Bree New Member
    What can you be hinting at? *Smile

Actually I think the real reason was incompetence, or at least a lack of thinking through the consequences of your actions. Some bright spark said 'wouldn't it be a good idea to check for unapproved methods of setting associations' and released it in that CU a year ago, only to find it was far more restrictive than intended. It's only been a year, but I think the code-check has been tamed at last. I hardly ever get a notification now - I got them all the time a year ago (and I know I'm still using the same software).

12. RAMWolff Win User
    Yes, AND I'm really loving the 64 bit version as it can open up PSD files. Not found out what else it can do yet but loving this!

Firefox is finally the default. I can tell because my desktop shortcuts are all displaying Firefox icons rather than IE or Edge ones!

Thanks for the help on this one.

Now to ask about dragging to copy. If you multi select a group of files and folders you want to copy when I do that I get the right click menu. After a few tries it will finally allow me to drag and drop/copy the files but it's really fidgety. Not sure if anyone's experienced that. Strange behavior and since I'm in the midst of getting this new machine running top shape getting files copied to where they need to be is important and this just slows me down....

Thanks again!

RAMWolff, Jan 14, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Glad to have helped. Enjoy your new system!

Thema:

1. Setting up Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Setting Pro

2. Set up TS3322 on Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up TS3322 on Windows 11 Pro: I'm trying to set my printer Canon TS3322 up with my new laptop Windows 11 Pro. When I click on the download it says it cannot create the output file. I've tried other methods I found on the Canon site, but nothing has worked....
  3. Set up TS3322 on Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up TS3322 on Windows 11 Pro: I'm trying to set my printer Canon TS3322 up with my new laptop Windows 11 Pro. When I click on the download it says it cannot create the output file. I've tried other methods I found on the Canon site, but nothing has worked....
  4. windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...: First off, who's bright idea was to make all these function reliant and integrated into xbox game bar? I followed your windows answer instruction to remove it fyi.second yes I should have made a system back up, I haven't used a pc in earnest in at least decade. reminder fully...
  5. windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...

windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...: First off, who's bright idea was to make all these function reliant and integrated into xbox game bar? I followed your windows answer instruction to remove it fyi.second yes I should have made a system back up, I haven't used a pc in earnest in at least decade. reminder fully...
  6. How can I remove "Some settings are managed by your organization" on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I remove "Some settings are managed by your organization" on Windows 10 Pro: Hi, so i wanted to update to Windows 11, however that's not possible as some Group Settings suddenly prevent me from doing that. I already tried lots of tips here and in other Forums but I'm stuck. I once installed Citrix for Work but removed it again. I suppose that might be...
  7. How can I remove "Some settings are managed by your organization" on Windows 10 Pro

How can I remove "Some settings are managed by your organization" on Windows 10 Pro: Hi, so i wanted to update to Windows 11, however that's not possible as some Group Settings suddenly prevent me from doing that. I already tried lots of tips here and in other Forums but I'm stuck. I once installed Citrix for Work but removed it again. I suppose that might be...
  8. How can I remove "Some settings are managed by your organization" on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How do I remove the copilot pro Ad from Windows 11 Pro Settings Menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove the copilot pro Ad from Windows 11 Pro Settings Menu?: When Settings is opened there is an advertisement for this new Copilot Pro. I looked and have no use for the product. Now how do I remove this annoying ad from one of the most accessed menus on the computer?...
  10. How do I remove the copilot pro Ad from Windows 11 Pro Settings Menu?

How do I remove the copilot pro Ad from Windows 11 Pro Settings Menu?: When Settings is opened there is an advertisement for this new Copilot Pro. I looked and have no use for the product. Now how do I remove this annoying ad from one of the most accessed menus on the computer?...