Windows 10: Setting up Windows boot manager to boot from SSD as secondary drive

Discus and support Setting up Windows boot manager to boot from SSD as secondary drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, my situation is such that I had an internal mechanical HDD as the only booting drive. After adding a SSD inplace of optical drive it appears in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Anakunda, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Anakunda Win User

Setting up Windows boot manager to boot from SSD as secondary drive

Hi, my situation is such that I had an internal mechanical HDD as the only booting drive. After adding a SSD inplace of optical drive it appears in system as 2nd hard drive without chance to change the order in UEFI BIOS. So it's internal drive #2. I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager to migrate my Windows OS from the old drive to the SSD. Everything went fine and the partitions structure seems mirrored 1:1 to the SSD. During the migration process I instructed HDM to updqate boot entries to reflect the new state.
    On reboot however I'm still getting only one entry in boot menu and that's the Windows instance on old drive, ie. the clone on SSD is invisible.
    I need to know what can I do so the bootmgr offers me bot instances on both drives, where the SSD clone will be primary (default). I wouldn't make my PC unbootable so wanting experimenting.

:)

Anakunda, Nov 5, 2018
  2. Prophet Win User

SSD as Boot and Raid as secondary

I've just bought a vertex 2 and have installed windows on it, but am having difficulties setting up a RAID0 with my 2 HDD's that i want to use as my backup/seconday drives. If i set my Sata config to raid it wont let me boot with my SSD. Any suggestions?

Prophet, Nov 5, 2018
  3. SSD as Boot and Raid as secondary

you should set it to RAID, you may have to delay drive detection in your BIOS. I normally set it to zero, but had to change it to 5 seconds (even though there is no delay what so ever) otherwise it would randomly (1 in 3) fail to boot/detect the SSD

i have the same setup, single SSD as boot/windows drive. RAID-0 as game/backup.

2DividedbyZero, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Hood Win User

New Secondary Drive Causes Boot Failure Windows 10

For the second time now, Windows 10 failed to boot after initializing and formatting a spare drive (using Windows Disk Management). After the boot fail, UEFI boot settings were still set to boot from Windows Boot Manager, but it still wouldn't boot, just goes into diagnostic mode, fails to repair boot problem, and goes to the repair menu. In advanced options I can then load a recent image (made with Windows 7 Backup and Recovery in control panel), and everything goes back to normal. My question is what causes this problem, and how do I repair it without re-imaging Windows? I don't recall ever having this problem in other Windows versions, only in Windows 10. Anyone else notice this problem?

Hood, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up Windows boot manager to boot from SSD as secondary drive - Similar Threads - Setting boot manager

2. Windows boot manager or SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boot manager or SSD?: I have installed a new SSD and installed windows 11 on it using a bootable usb. When I go into the bios settings I see my SSD ZEBSD26 in legacy boot mode and Windows Boot Manager in UEFI boot mode. When I boot from the SSD in legacy boot, I get this error "The selected boot...
  3. Windows boot manager or SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boot manager or SSD?: I have installed a new SSD and installed windows 11 on it using a bootable usb. When I go into the bios settings I see my SSD ZEBSD26 in legacy boot mode and Windows Boot Manager in UEFI boot mode. When I boot from the SSD in legacy boot, I get this error "The selected boot...
  4. The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.: Hi! I am not sure if this is the right place for a question like this but I'll ask it anyway. I have 4 drives both HDD's and SSD's and multiple operating systems on my computer, however, I can only boot from one of the drives. All the drives show up in BIOS and windows file...
  5. The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.: Hi! I am not sure if this is the right place for a question like this but I'll ask it anyway. I have 4 drives both HDD's and SSD's and multiple operating systems on my computer, however, I can only boot from one of the drives. All the drives show up in BIOS and windows file...
  6. The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Set up second SATA SSD as Linux boot drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Set up second SATA SSD as Linux boot drive?: I have a 10-year-old HP H8-1070t PC (BIOS AMI 7.09 7/2/2011) running Windows 10 Pro v. 2004 build 19041.985. It has two SATA SSD's, SATA1 assigned as C: (Windows boot drive), and SATA0 as D: (data). System info says the BIOS is in UEFI mode. The BIOS's boot page lists the...
  8. Cant boot from SSD, Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant boot from SSD, Windows Boot Manager: I have an acer Nitro 5 AN515-43 which came with a Ryzen 3550h, 12gb ram, and 1 TB HDD. Upgraded it with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb and used samsung´s data migration tool to clone the HDD drive into the new SSD decided not to format the hdd in case i ran into a problem, and...
  9. Windows booting from wrong SSD Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows booting from wrong SSD Windows Boot Manager: Hello there, So i have an SSD installed, and i recently bought a used SSD that had windows on it. After formatting the new SSD, Windows tries to boot from it and run a repair. I have to restart my PC, go into BIOS, then into Boot Manager then choose the right SSD to boot...
  10. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...