Windows 10: Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

Discus and support Setting Users Permissions Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We currently have windows 10 PC's. One is considered the main PC that has a drive (T:) in it that holds all of the data. I am attempting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MitchellAndrews, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

We currently have windows 10 PC's. One is considered the main PC that has a drive (TSetting Users Permissions Windows 10 :) in it that holds all of the data.

I am attempting to configure T: to give a user (referred to as Bob the rest of the way) access to only one folder, and not let them have access to the rest.

We have a couple user profiles that are administrator level and then multiple that are standard user level. (Bob is a standard user).

I created two new users groups, "user_elevated" (has all users except for bob) & "user_restricted" (only has Bob).

At the T: level: I updated the security settings to the follow:

authenticated users: modify

system: full control

administrators: full control

user_elevated: full control

(I removed the "users" group)

At the folder on the T: that bob can have access to (currently folder is named test) :

User_restricted: full control

(inherited from driveSetting Users Permissions Windows 10 :)

authenticated users: modify

The problem is when bob logs onto the computer that T:/ is on, he can see all of the folders on the T:/ not just test.

I believe this is due to the fact that authenticated users: full control is on the T: level and then inherited to all folders below. When I removed authenticated users permission at T: (leaving the followingSetting Users Permissions Windows 10 :)

No user, including myself (an administrator profile) could access any folder on T:. I had to re-add the "authenticated users" permission before I could even get back into the drive.

Please help! If I need to provide more information or more specific information please let me know. I have researched a decent amount online that suggested only providing access to the specified folder, instead of trying to restrict access to the others, but none of the article I have found have explained how to handle the "authenticated users" permissions.

I also could be wrong and it is not related to "authenticated users", but not 100% sure.

Thank's in advance for your help!

:)

MitchellAndrews, Oct 24, 2018
  2. cdawall Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

1. Setting Users Permissions Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setting Users Permissions

2. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?: I would like to know whether users\username\appdata\local directory gives full permissions to the user by default, in Windows10 Enterprise?...
  3. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?: I would like to know whether users\username\appdata\local directory gives full permissions to the user by default, in Windows10 Enterprise?...
  4. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. User permission setting problem on Win10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User permission setting problem on Win10: Hi! I need some help about set permission rules for a user account on win10 in my network. Here are my questions: Is there any possibility to read out, or to show , export for later import any user credentials or access in win10? Our windows are deployed with MS AutoPilot...
  6. user permission settings and access control setup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    user permission settings and access control setup: hi ! i am vamsi. my dad is setting up a small company and me and my dad had brought laptops, the issue is he wanted me to set up the laptop such that user cannot modify the OS and the system should ask the admin permission whenever they are trying to install software of any...
  7. User's permission from ACL setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User's permission from ACL setting: Hi, I am studying DACL and I have a question. Could someone help to explain? Thank you. I set DACL of a foler for a user as below, [ATTACH] "g3" is a group of "u3. By this setting, I could use "u3" to access this folder, and in this folder, I could not create any new...
  8. USER PERMISSIONS?

in Windows 10 Customization
    USER PERMISSIONS?: I have been using a sleep apnea data app on Win 10 for several months with no issues. Over the last week or so, the app has become non-functional. I have sought help from the Apnea Board community and have tried numerous fixes with no success. One of the forum advisors...
  9. User Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Permissions: How do I reset all user permissions to default. I may have accidentally deleted a profile that is needed., Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/97475d02-2691-484b-ad2a-99bd5e802315
  10. Is there a default for User Permission settings?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is there a default for User Permission settings?: As a less than knowledgeable computer user I stupidly changed my User "Permission Allow" check marks. I now get a "failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied." Of coarse I didn't write down what was originally checked off in the "Allow" box. Would there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. user permissions windows 10

2. windows 10 user permissions

3. media permission settings on windows 10

4. windows permissions settings windows 10,
  5. setting user permission windows 10,
  6. set user permission windows 10,
  7. setting user permissions windows 10,
  8. setting windows 10 user permission,
  9. user permission settings windows 10,
  10. setting permissions for users windows 10,
  11. setting windows 10 permissions,