Windows 10: Setting windows10 1703 start Layout Not working

Discus and support Setting windows10 1703 start Layout Not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Customize start Layout Issue To customize the windows 10 start menu and then use PowerShell to import it so that default users or new users start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RamPrasad, Sep 25, 2017.

1. RamPrasad Win User

Setting windows10 1703 start Layout Not working

Customize start Layout Issue

To customize the windows 10 start menu and then use PowerShell to import it so that default users or new users start menu is set using the following commands and editing defaultlayout.xml and tried exporting as Bin FOR MY WINDOWS 10 1703 but it still doesn't work

When I import the layout it throws error

Import-StartLayout : The file C:\Users\Public\layoutModification1.bin is not a valid layout file
    At line:1 char:1
    + Import-StartLayout C:\Users\Public\layoutModification1.bin -MountPath ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have attached the xml and Bin file can someone please help me in solving my problem ? I am not sure the files are missing something which cause my xml file not to import it successfully .Please help and Guide someone ..

:)

RamPrasad, Sep 25, 2017

2. Croatian keyboard layout is missing in Win10 installation

I made Windows 10 64bit ISO file by tool downloaded from web page
    https://www.microsoft.com/hr-hr/software-download/windows10
    and started clean installation. The problem is that Croatian keyboard layout is missing in the list of layouts. There are three combobox selections, 1st for language, 2nd for regional settings
    and there I can find Croatia, but in 3rd for keyboard layout there is not Croatian layout.

Is this mistake? Because that layout was there for all previous Win versions. What should I select instead of Croatian layout?

Regards,

Tončić Linardić

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TončićLinardić, Sep 25, 2017
  3. free780_1 Win User
    Export-Startlayout possible bug 1607

Just in case anyone gets this issue.

Set up Reference VM, image with normal image, disable pushing out a layout via GPO.

Logon as a local admin, a local profile.

Design your layout.

Run Export-StartLayout.

Put the xml file somewhere where users have read access. \\server\layouts\layout.xml

GPP the xml file to the c drive to a folder where the users have read access. c:\it\layout.xml

GPP any shortcuts into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs on the client PCs. . Make sure all paths match up to when you created the layout. You can edit the xml, but you cant use unc paths.

Add the xml file to the gpo for the start layout. c:\it\layout.xml

I've only done this on the computer not user setting.

I left the existing start menu redirect on.

Hopefully this will fixed in 1703.

free780_1, Sep 25, 2017
Thema:

Setting windows10 1703 start Layout Not working

1. Setting windows10 1703 start Layout Not working - Similar Threads - Setting windows10 1703

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. Start Tile Layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Tile Layout: This is about start menu customization that is on a "Golden Image" and pushed out to Horizon virtual desktops. Hopefully this is the best forum for it! When building my images I have always used powershell Export-StartLayout and Import-StartLayout in order to provide a custom...
  5. Keyboard settings UK layout not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard settings UK layout not working: I have a UK layout keyboard shift + 2 is ", but my computer insists on using US layout shift + 2 is @. I use a Corsair STRAFE keyboard. In iCue Corsair keyboard app, the layout is set to UK. In Settings app, the system language is English UK. The Preferred language is...
  6. Start Layout -

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Layout -: I was wondering if there was a way to have a default start layout but also allow the users to make changes? 148546
  7. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  8. Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10 How to Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10 The Live Folders. If you like, you can specify a default Start layout in Windows 10 for users and prevent them from changing it. *note This policy...
  9. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...
  10. Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703: Updated to latest version of Creator's Update (15063.250), when I try to export a custom start menu layout for use on other Windows 10 workstations I get an error. Under PowerShell (admin) I run: export-startlayout -path c:\teststart.xml I get the following in return:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Import-StartLayout LayoutPath not work