Windows 10: settingcontent-ms filetype

Discus and support settingcontent-ms filetype in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I see various locked threads about this odd filetype "settingcontent-ms". I assume they are locked because MS are fixing the security issue (which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TD47, Jul 9, 2018.

1. TD47 Win User

settingcontent-ms filetype

I see various locked threads about this odd filetype "settingcontent-ms". I assume they are locked because MS are fixing the security issue (which is now well known in security circles, but I am NOT going to post any links here).

This format was introduced in Windows 10 and allows a user to create “shortcuts” to various Windows 10 setting pages.

Whenever I see a new thread about this, it starts off the answers with the old stock knee-jerk "fix attempts" like sfc, dism, or worse still, restore back to a known good restore point, or even worse, the recommendation to re-install windows!!. And the other popular one - your profile might be corrupt!!

If the sorts of OS and profile corruption were happening at the rate suggested by many of the answers on here, then Windows 10 must be a very unstable operating system (which it is NOT of course - it is very good for the most part)

For goodness sake people, I am sick of seeing these sorts of answers. PLEASE read and research the problem, BEFORE recommending stock answers.

I get the impression that this filetype SHOULD work in W8.1 (as some threads suggest it is there in that OS level too), but might be blocked, or have no actionable internal program to use it (or has been blocked because of the security issue, or has been introduced prematurely in 8.1).

For the Windows 10 implementation, it does still pose a security risk (because many checks are bypassed for this filetype to run), and needs fixing ASAP.

:)

TD47, Jul 9, 2018

2. .settingcontent-ms filetype no longer recognized

Hi,

Whenever I try to search for a setting, the results are shown properly, but when I try to launch the required app, it opens a "Choose a default app for this file type" window.

I have tried seeing a
    similar thread
    for windows 8.1 but it goes into registry key specifics (for windows 8.1 only). I am facing this issue for Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1).

settingcontent-ms filetype 25a7af16-fb5a-42e0-8a45-67cb88a9e05a.png

liquiddeath, Jul 9, 2018
  3. .settingcontent-ms Start screen windows 10

yesterday i got in a mess with windows os!

I try to use the search facility to start, for example, bluetooth settings or windows update, I got a sort of warning message: the system is asking me which app to use in order to open ".settingcontent-ms" filetype.

"like: when i search for Bluetooth in start menu it displays the settings but when i try to click on that it shows u need an app to

open .settingcontent-ms"

it was since last evening and the dam thing is that restore points are deleted! i don't want a clean install of windows

is their a way to get out of this?

I never had this problem before,

Apart from this, the system does not present any other problem

"despite this i tried sfc scannow

dism restore health

but the problem still occurs!"

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Mushtaq Ahmad

settingcontent-ms filetype 3651bd7c-64e7-4d12-a9af-f9f85f6edbae.jpg

settingcontent-ms filetype f1aec35f-1bcc-4eb8-a814-5a98f91839de.png

MUSHTAQ-AHMAD, Jul 9, 2018
  4. settingcontent-ms filetype

.settingcontent-ms no longer recognized at the Search box on Start screen windows 10

yesterday i got in a mess with windows os!

I try to use the search facility to start, for example, bluetooth settings or windows update, I got a sort of warning message: the system is asking me which app to use in order to open ".settingcontent-ms" filetype.

"like: when i search for Bluetooth in start menu it displays the settings but when i try to click on that it shows u need an app to

open .settingcontent-ms"

it was since last evening and the dam thing is that restore points are deleted! i don't want a clean install of windows

is their a way to get out of this?

I never had this problem before,

Apart from this, the system does not present any other problem

"despite this i tried sfc scannow

dism restore health

but the problem still occurs!"

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Mushtaq Ahmad

settingcontent-ms filetype 082d3ade-fe08-4135-9da1-f84032a879ca.jpg

settingcontent-ms filetype 5c0f1f18-1d34-472e-b704-545da5366f76.png

MUSHTAQ-AHMAD, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

settingcontent-ms filetype

1. settingcontent-ms filetype - Similar Threads - settingcontent filetype

2. Win 11 - How to change the Snipping Tool / Screenshot default "Save as" to JPG filetype? I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 - How to change the Snipping Tool / Screenshot default "Save as" to JPG filetype? I...: On my new computer with Windows 11, the snipping tool's default is to save all new snips as a png file. I use the Screenshot key to initiate my snippings. I prefer save all my snips as jpg files, not png files. It is a pain to have to change each one I save. Is there a way...
  3. Win 11 - How to change the Snipping Tool / Screenshot default "Save as" to JPG filetype? I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 - How to change the Snipping Tool / Screenshot default "Save as" to JPG filetype? I...: On my new computer with Windows 11, the snipping tool's default is to save all new snips as a png file. I use the Screenshot key to initiate my snippings. I prefer save all my snips as jpg files, not png files. It is a pain to have to change each one I save. Is there a way...
  4. How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?: I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would like it listed as an ap that can be used for that file type.Unfortunately, the setting for assigning default apps does not list...
  5. How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?: I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would like it listed as an ap that can be used for that file type.Unfortunately, the setting for assigning default apps does not list...
  6. Windows 11 Default FileType is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Default FileType is broken: Ok first ill say that I searched the internet to find out how to fix this already numerous times and nothing worked. I tried FileTypeMan, ShellBagsView ShellBag Cleaner and the basic reset dfualt file types. and nothing works. I will say that this started when I installed...
  7. Windows 11 Default FileType is broken

Windows 11 Default FileType is broken: Ok first ill say that I searched the internet to find out how to fix this already numerous times and nothing worked. I tried FileTypeMan, ShellBagsView ShellBag Cleaner and the basic reset dfualt file types. and nothing works. I will say that this started when I installed...
  8. Cannot remove exclusion from Windows Security filetype exclusion: exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove exclusion from Windows Security filetype exclusion: exe: Recently I noticed that I have the "exe" filetype as an exclusion in Windows Security, the problem is that I did not create it and knowing full well the possible consequences of such a rule I tried to remove but I failed.The "Remove" button for that exclusion does not work, I...
  9. Cannot remove exclusion from Windows Security filetype exclusion: exe

Cannot remove exclusion from Windows Security filetype exclusion: exe: Recently I noticed that I have the "exe" filetype as an exclusion in Windows Security, the problem is that I did not create it and knowing full well the possible consequences of such a rule I tried to remove but I failed.The "Remove" button for that exclusion does not work, I...
  10. Windows Media Player 12 - Separate Albums by Filetype

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player 12 - Separate Albums by Filetype: Hello,I like to rip my CDs using windows media player and I rip in WAV so I can burn CDs and FLAC So I can store album info in metadata. I used to have my windows media player setup in such a way that the two rips of the album were divided by file type, but now I did...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SettingContent ms