Windows 10: Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default

Discus and support Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I've found an issue where the settings app crashes when attempting to change the default browser from Internet Explorer to Chrome. This has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ming HouChan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default

Hello,

I've found an issue where the settings app crashes when attempting to change the default browser from Internet Explorer to Chrome. This has happened on multiple computers. It happens when attempting the change both on the regular default programs page and on the set defaults by file extension. It also happens if I attempt to change the video player default. The program pauses for a second, then the window closes with no error message.

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.19041.610, time stamp: 0x07896577

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.572, time stamp: 0x1183946c
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x000000000010b65c
    Faulting process ID: 0x1518
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6b8c2e944a884
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 1133b11d-22cb-4881-bbc5-37e79c4cc776
    Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.2.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Tried solution from

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/settings-app-crashes-when-trying-to-change-web/bac7e5f1-d793-45b8-b31f-283801ded057?auth=1
    but it didn't work...

:)

Ming HouChan, Nov 12, 2020

2. Cannot set default web browser

Hi,

My name is Mohammed Shuain, an Independent Advisor & I understand from the description that you want to make the Chrome browser as your default browser. Please follow the below steps.

Step 1:

Go to Search box next to Windows icon and type Default app Settings

Step 2:

Click to open Default app Settings

Step 3:

Under choose, default apps scroll down to see the Web browser

Step 4:

Click on the Browser shown to get the default browsers list to select from

Step 5:

Select Google Chrome

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default

Found a solution,
    • Goto Settings\Apps & features then search for the app causing an issue ie edge and then click on Advanced Options
    • Select Reset and then after the reset has completed you can then successfully change the default browser again. This also works if you have issues changing the default apps for Video Player, Photo Viewer etc ie after doing a repair on the default Video
      Player or Photo Viewer you can then change the default app for these also

GordonBerry, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default

can not change web default browser

Hi Soniapayne,

You may try these.

Follow the steps below:

For Windows 10:

• Select the start button, and then type
      Default app settings

• In the search results, select default app settings

• Under web browser, select the browser currently listed and then select Mozilla fire fox or another browser
    For Windows 7, 8.1:

• Go to control panel

• In the search box, located on the upper right corner
      type Default programs

• Click on Default programs

• Click on Set your default program

• Click on Mozilla Firefox

• Click on Set this program as default

• Click Ok

Hope this helps.

Nathaniel_M, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default

1. Settings App crashes when trying to change web browser default - Similar Threads - Settings App crashes

2. Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps: Hello,I am unable to choose a default browser in my case I am trying to set Microsoft Edge as a default browser in the 'Default Apps' in Windows 10It was earlier set to Google Chrome. I also reset the 'Microsoft Recommended Defaults' but Windows 10 still cannot the attach...
  3. Cannot set default web browser

Cannot set default web browser: How can I set Google Chrome as my default web browser. The last win update erased it as my default, and it no longer appears in the options window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-web-browser/2736ac7a-5d26-49b1-be8f-b4ba10310509
  4. how set Firefox as default web browser

how set Firefox as default web browser: Although I have it loaded, it doesn't show up as an option in the default app or in the "choose default app" section. Plus, I even have trouble loading it. I realize they'd rather I not use it, but I'd sure like the choice....
  5. Default Web Browser

Default Web Browser: I do not see the option for Web Browser in my Default app section. I am trying to make Microsoft Edge to my default but i can not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-web-browser/8d05308e-7bb2-47b8-b71e-3c1553ad1466
  6. Setting Default App for Web Browser

Setting Default App for Web Browser: I'd appreciate any help with this. So, I just got a new computer today. When logging in and starting Edge it prompts to set it as default browser for the system. Prompts to go to settings to do this. That's all easy enough- except there's not a default browser option. Only...
  7. Default web browser

Default web browser: I have recently installed the new Microsoft Edge on my Surface tablet. Now every time I browse the internet I get a message asking if I want to make Edge my default browser, and directing me to 'Settings' to set it. However, I do not have a 'Web browser' listed in my default...
  8. Why is default app window crashing when trying to set a web browser?

Why is default app window crashing when trying to set a web browser?: Hello, I work for our local IT and I received a problem where a user was unable to access links through outlook. The fix is to make sure that the user had a default web browser set. The Item listed under the default web browser was launch windows app.[ATTACH] Here is the...
  9. Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

in Browsers and Email
    Make firefox as default app for "web browser": Dear folks I was trying to change default app for " web browser" from Microsoft Edge to Firefox as per below : How to change your default browser in Windows 10 | Firefox Help I can't find Firefox as an option ? [img] Any idea how can I fix it ? Thx 101100
  10. Trying to set Opera as web browser in default app

in Browsers and Email
    Trying to set Opera as web browser in default app: For the last two hours I have been trying to set Opera as web browser in default app under Default Apps in Settings. The only web browser is working with Microsoft Edge not other web browser. I am not sure how can I make Opera as default and rather use this not Microsoft...