Windows 10: Settings app freezes when accessing System

Discus and support Settings app freezes when accessing System in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This started happening recently on my PC, which is perfectly fine. Basically, if I go into Settings > System, the app just freezes, and I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by secrept, Oct 24, 2020.

1. secrept Win User

Settings app freezes when accessing System

This started happening recently on my PC, which is perfectly fine.

Basically, if I go into Settings > System, the app just freezes, and I am unable to access any other setting.

Oddly, I am able to go through the search bar and access every single setting except for the Display setting.

This does not apply to my laptops or tablets.

Any fixes? Thanks!

:)

secrept, Oct 24, 2020

2. Settings App freezes accessing System > About on Surface 3 Pro

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

The causes can include:

• Not enough hard drive space, too many unused programs

• Left over programs, old cached and temporary files

• Too many programs running at startup or in the background

• Data Corruption, hard disk fragmentation

• Missing Windows updates or outdated drivers
    I would suggest you to install all the windows updates and update all your drivers.

Step 1: Try to run
    System maintenance troubleshooter
    and check if it helps.          

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter
      and then click Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security, 
    • Click on System Maintenance
      and Click on Next button.
    Step 2: Run SFC Scan.

What is SFC (System File Checker)?

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 24, 2020
  3. kwdavids Win User
    Settings App freezes accessing System > About on Surface 3 Pro

This started happening with the initial build 10586 on my Surface 3 Pro, and it's still happening now with 10586.29.

Basically just access All Settings > System > About. Settings freezes, and you can't access any other setting.

Oddly, if you start Task Manager (and do nothing else), the Settings App starts working again, and displays the About information.

This does not happen on my Dell desktop systems or my Dell tablet.

kwdavids, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Settings app freezes when accessing System

Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Settings app freezes when accessing System

1. Settings app freezes when accessing System - Similar Threads - Settings app freezes

2. Can not access system settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not access system settings: Every time i click on system setting the wheel comes up and then goes back to the home screen. All my settings on the notification on bottom right are greyed out when I open it. I need to add a blue tooth devise and cant get to settings [ATTACH]...
  3. When I click on System in the Settings app, it crashes.

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I click on System in the Settings app, it crashes.: So, I guess the last cumulative Windows 10 update broke the Settings app. I just debloated my system without breaking things. Last time I upgraded to Windows 10 2004 from 1903, and I've never had the problem with 1903. Last cumulative update probably broke the System tab in...
  4. Screen freezes when trying to get access to the apps with admin shield

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screen freezes when trying to get access to the apps with admin shield: When I am trying to open an app with admin shield my screen freezes and I get a message that ‘Windows can’t access this specified device path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission’....
  5. Remote Access (app) requesting access to the file system despite being set in Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote Access (app) requesting access to the file system despite being set in Settings: When I try to copy/paste a file through Remote Desktop I get a dialogue saying, Allow Access You must give Remote Desktop access to your file system to copy files to the remote PC. This can be done under Settings / Privacy / File system. Providing access will close this...
  6. Can't access Apps in Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't access Apps in Settings: Hello, I'm encountering a strange error: when I open the Settings panel (gear-wheel icon), and click on any icon except the one labelled Apps, I get the usual response (subpanel opens etc. etc.); however, when I click on the Apps icon nothing happens. The only way I can...
  7. Freezing the system when playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing the system when playing games: Hello dear experts first of all, I am sorry that my English is not good. I have a desktop PC model ASUS ROG G20BM with the following specifications: OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit CPU: AMD FX-770K (Quad Core 3.50 GHz) VGA: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (The point...
  8. Accessing settings freezes PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Accessing settings freezes PC: When I click on Settings; my PC always freezes. Hard restart required. Windows 10 Lenovo Yogo 900 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accessing-settings-freezes-pc/02c08f70-592a-4db6-8085-09f039d3b5d4"
  9. Settings App Freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings App Freezes: First issue I've come across. The Settings App freezes on Apps & features and Storage tabs. 58452
  10. Computer freezes when accessing HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer freezes when accessing HDD: I have 3 drives in my system,every time I access my partition which is assigned to the WD green ,system will freeze for a second and I can hear my hard drive ramp up and system comes right back to normal Windows is installed on my SSD As for my 1tb WD blue,the ramp up...