Windows 10: Settings app freezes when accessing System

Discus and support Settings app freezes when accessing System in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This started happening recently on my PC, which is perfectly fine. Basically, if I go into Settings > System, the app just freezes, and I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by secrept, Oct 24, 2020.

1. secrept Win User

Settings app freezes when accessing System

This started happening recently on my PC, which is perfectly fine.

Basically, if I go into Settings > System, the app just freezes, and I am unable to access any other setting.

Oddly, I am able to go through the search bar and access every single setting except for the Display setting.

This does not apply to my laptops or tablets.

Any fixes? Thanks!

:)

secrept, Oct 24, 2020

2. Settings App freezes accessing System > About on Surface 3 Pro

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

The causes can include:

• Not enough hard drive space, too many unused programs

• Left over programs, old cached and temporary files

• Too many programs running at startup or in the background

• Data Corruption, hard disk fragmentation

• Missing Windows updates or outdated drivers
    I would suggest you to install all the windows updates and update all your drivers.

Step 1: Try to run
    System maintenance troubleshooter
    and check if it helps.          

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter
      and then click Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security, 
    • Click on System Maintenance
      and Click on Next button.
    Step 2: Run SFC Scan.

What is SFC (System File Checker)?

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 24, 2020
  3. kwdavids Win User
    Settings App freezes accessing System > About on Surface 3 Pro

This started happening with the initial build 10586 on my Surface 3 Pro, and it's still happening now with 10586.29.

Basically just access All Settings > System > About. Settings freezes, and you can't access any other setting.

Oddly, if you start Task Manager (and do nothing else), the Settings App starts working again, and displays the About information.

This does not happen on my Dell desktop systems or my Dell tablet.

kwdavids, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Settings app freezes when accessing System

Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Settings app freezes when accessing System

1. Settings app freezes when accessing System - Similar Threads - Settings app freezes

2. Settings app freezes when trying to open Lockscreen or backgroup settings in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings app freezes when trying to open Lockscreen or backgroup settings in...: As the title states, the settings app does not respond when I try to open the lock screen settings or the background settings. The other tabs work, the other settings accessible in the personalization section work as well. I tried checking for updates, restarting computer and...
  3. Can't access the hotspot settings freezes when clicking on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access the hotspot settings freezes when clicking on it: Last day, I set up my 4G modem and connected it by ethernet to my laptop. Furthermore, I used my laptop as a hotspot for my phone and my nintendo switch and it worked very well.However, the next day I am now unable to activate the hotspot or access the settings as the...
  4. Can't access the hotspot settings freezes when clicking on it

Can't access the hotspot settings freezes when clicking on it: Last day, I set up my 4G modem and connected it by ethernet to my laptop. Furthermore, I used my laptop as a hotspot for my phone and my nintendo switch and it worked very well.However, the next day I am now unable to activate the hotspot or access the settings as the...
  5. Settings app crashes when accessing the apps section

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings app crashes when accessing the apps section: To whom may concern:While in the settings app I try to access the apps section so I can move my apps on another drive. When I do get to the apps section on it's first page it crashes.I tried SFC and DISM: FailedI tried PowerShell: FailedAny fixes?Bobby Burgess...
  6. Settings app freezes when I try to open VPN settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Settings app freezes when I try to open VPN settings: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/User202000 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/le1daz/settings_app_freezes_when_i_try_to_open_vpn/
  7. Windows System Setting Tab freezing when opened.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows System Setting Tab freezing when opened.: When I open the System tab in Settings, it completely freezes. No crashing, just freezing. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-setting-tab-freezing-when-opened/61a5fdb2-b4d3-41a8-b899-f5a20aedf266
  8. Remote Access (app) requesting access to the file system despite being set in Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote Access (app) requesting access to the file system despite being set in Settings: When I try to copy/paste a file through Remote Desktop I get a dialogue saying, Allow Access You must give Remote Desktop access to your file system to copy files to the remote PC. This can be done under Settings / Privacy / File system. Providing access will close this...
  9. Accessing settings freezes PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Accessing settings freezes PC: When I click on Settings; my PC always freezes. Hard restart required. Windows 10 Lenovo Yogo 900 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accessing-settings-freezes-pc/02c08f70-592a-4db6-8085-09f039d3b5d4"
  10. Settings App Freezes

Settings App Freezes: First issue I've come across. The Settings App freezes on Apps & features and Storage tabs. 58452