Windows 10: Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing

Discus and support Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there. Recently I have noticed that the settings for both battery-powered and plugged-in statuses have changed. For example, my brightness level... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LillianGalanthius, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing

Hi there. Recently I have noticed that the settings for both battery-powered and plugged-in statuses have changed. For example, my brightness level used to be at 50% when I have it on battery, and 100% for when plugged in. However, something changed recently to where this no longer happens. When I plug in my computer, it stays at 50%, so I change it to 100%, but when I unplug, it stays at 100%. I like to keep my battery lasting, so having to constantly change back and forth is a little frustrating. I looked in advanced settings and changed things around with no avail.

This also happens with my audio. My sound volume used to be different when on speakers versus when headphones were plugged in. This is no longer the case, so I have to manually change everything in the audio settings as well.

Finally, when my laptop's screen turns off but the laptop stays on, its a low chance that when I press on a key or click my mouse, the screen will actually come on again, leaving me to completely shut down my computer and turn it back on for it to work again if it doesn't revive. I've tried to reset to defaults, make the sleep timer the same as the turn off screen timer, nothing. I don't know if I should turn the timer for the monitor off completely, but it would be nice to have the screen off when I'm away for a couple of minutes.

Anything similar to this has changed the same way on my device and has happened within the last month or so. I currently own an Acer laptop on Windows 10. I have no idea why this changed suddenly, but I can't find a proper solution for it. Thanks in advance!

-LG

:)

LillianGalanthius, Jan 26, 2020

2. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Power Management Battery/Plugged In

You could look through the High Performance plan settings and apply them to the 'Plugged in' entries of the Balanced plan and that will achieve the end result you want [the behaviour you want]. Leave the 'On battery' entries as they are.

Control panel, Power options, [whichever plan], Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings

Denis

4. slance310 Win User

Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing

Change of brightness when power adapter is plugged in or out

Hi,

You should have separate Brightness settings for Battery and Plugged in (Power)...

I don't have access to my laptop at the moment to provide the precise steps to change the settings.... sorry...

slance310, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing

1. Settings between Battery-powered and Plugged-in not changing - Similar Threads - Settings between Battery

2. how to change the power setting to let it stop depending on the battery when it's plugged...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the power setting to let it stop depending on the battery when it's plugged...: how to switch between battery and plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-power-setting-to-let-it-stop/72957fc2-a6d4-4368-99ac-ced0479a1456
  3. how to change the power setting to let it stop depending on the battery when it's plugged...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the power setting to let it stop depending on the battery when it's plugged...: how to switch between battery and plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-power-setting-to-let-it-stop/72957fc2-a6d4-4368-99ac-ced0479a1456
  4. how to change the power setting to let it stop depending on the battery when it's plugged...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Desktop/PC Power and Sleep setting changed to Laptop configuration of "Battery and Plugged...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop/PC Power and Sleep setting changed to Laptop configuration of "Battery and Plugged...: Desktop/PC Power and Sleep setting changed to Laptop configuration of "Battery and Plugged in" after 5/2021 update. At the same time Desktop started to power down then restart immediately every 20 minutes. Microsoft Tech support was unware of these changes and had no...
  6. Power mode plugged in and on battery?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power mode plugged in and on battery?: Which power mode do you guys use when a. your laptop is plugged in, b. when it's on battery? I usually use better performance when plugged in, because I suspect that best performance will lead to heat and to wear out the hardware faster. Am I right on that suspicion? Thanks...
  7. Power Plan: how to change brightness on battery / plugged in?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Plan: how to change brightness on battery / plugged in?: The latest (about a week ago?) windows 10 update seems to have removed some features from the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options page and the pages underneath it. Specifically, under Change Plan Settings it seems they removed the ability to set a different...
  8. Power Management Battery/Plugged In

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Management Battery/Plugged In: Hi all, Just a quickie... does anyone know if its possible to set High Performance mode automatically when plugged in and then change this automatically to Balanced when unplugged? I seemed to think this was possible? 132404
  9. power toggles between battery and AC when plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power toggles between battery and AC when plugged in: how can I fix issue with power constantly toggling from battery to AC when plugged in. I have rebooted and run all windows 10 updates. I also tried the power cycling my laptop as well as power troubleshooting....
  10. How to prevent Audio Enhancements to be set back when changing between battery/plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to prevent Audio Enhancements to be set back when changing between battery/plugged in?: How to prevent Audio Enhancements to be (automatically, against my will) set back when changing between battery/plugged in? (and vice versa) Hi, every single time I unplug my notebook or plug it in again, my Audio Enhancement settings are gone. This is going on from the...