Windows 10: Settings crash when clicking on Update & Security

Discus and support Settings crash when clicking on Update & Security in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Earlier I went into Settings and clicked on Update & Security, and I found Windows Problem Reporting running in the background. I checked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by allam447635, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Settings crash when clicking on Update & Security

Earlier I went into Settings and clicked on Update & Security, and I found Windows Problem Reporting running in the background. I checked the Reliability Monitor (because for some reason problem reports aren't saving on my computer) and found this:
    Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.15063.502, time stamp: 0x7c8bd05aFaulting module name: MusUpdateHandlers.dll, version: 10.0.15063.674, time stamp: 0x19e82d6bException code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x000000000002da9fFaulting process id: 0x13844Faulting application start time: 0x01d3754490d1cc6bFaulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exeFaulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\MusUpdateHandlers.dllReport Id: 190f84de-8932-42e6-81d6-99453576a95dFaulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewyFaulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel
    Something in the background was hogging the disk like mad, which I think has to do with it. Anyway it looks like this was just a one-time fluke and also never happened until today.

:)

allam447635, Dec 14, 2017

2. Windows update is missing from settings

It happened after the update to 1703. I rebooted to safe mode and tried. As soon as I clicked on Update & Security the settings window crashed. I opened it again and searched for windows update. I clicked check for updates and the window crashed again. Then
    I rebooted back to normal mode. Checked settings and now windows update is there and working.

???

Thanks!

Jamey Jensen, Dec 14, 2017
  3. Evan_1991 Win User
    Windows Settings - Update & security will not open (Windows Update not working)

After attempting to install, possibly successfully the most recent cumulative update for Windows 10 I can no longer open "Update & security" in the "Windows Settings" application. I can open and view all of the other sub categories in Windows Settings
    but clicking on Update & security does not advance the screen to the update and security settings. After clicking the update and security settings button it freezes the settings application for almost five minutes and then very briefly shows what would be
    displayed on the left side of the update and security settings page and the right side is completely blank and then the settings app crashes and disappears. Also something to note, for the power options, when turning off my computer they options are as follows,
    "Sleep, Update and shut down, and Update and restart"

If anyone has a fix to this, that would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Evan_1991, Dec 14, 2017
  4. Settings crash when clicking on Update & Security

run sfc/ scannow from elevated command prompt pal, may find some small errors *Smile

kingtez1984, Dec 14, 2017
Thema:

Settings crash when clicking on Update & Security

1. Settings crash when clicking on Update & Security - Similar Threads - Settings crash clicking

2. Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.: I have tried opening Privacy Settings directly by using search instead but it doesn't open. If I go to settings first and then click on Privacy, the window just closes. Any suggestions on what I can try to resolve this?...
  3. Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.: I have tried opening Privacy Settings directly by using search instead but it doesn't open. If I go to settings first and then click on Privacy, the window just closes. Any suggestions on what I can try to resolve this?...
  4. Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Settings app crashing when I click "Devices"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings app crashing when I click "Devices": When I go settings > devices it looks like it is about to go into the panel then the whole app crashes. I have had this problem for a while however have not been able to find a fix for it. It has not been an issue for me until I have been trying to access my bluetooth...
  6. Settings app crashing when I click "Devices"

Settings app crashing when I click "Devices": When I go settings > devices it looks like it is about to go into the panel then the whole app crashes. I have had this problem for a while however have not been able to find a fix for it. It has not been an issue for me until I have been trying to access my bluetooth...
  7. Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option...: Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option immediately close. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-option-not-open-when-click-update/6d7fb3fb-12f5-44d8-93cf-ec1a9a0fe500
  8. Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option...

Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option...: Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option immediately close. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-option-not-open-when-click-update/6d7fb3fb-12f5-44d8-93cf-ec1a9a0fe500
  9. Windows update option not open, when click update and security option , setting option...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Settings app crashes when clicking on the About option!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings app crashes when clicking on the About option!: When I tried to go to this direction, Settings>System>About, the settings app crashes once I click on the "About"' option ![ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. settings crashes when clicking updates and security