Windows 10: Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work

Discus and support Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; windows 10, i already tried a whole system reset twice and have done everything else in the book including sfc and windows troubleshooter. when i press... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by chrisbrodie34, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work

windows 10, i already tried a whole system reset twice and have done everything else in the book including sfc and windows troubleshooter. when i press the start menu, the app has a little line below it.

:)

chrisbrodie34, Sep 11, 2022

2. Windows 10 Home Search not possible and Start menu crashes.

It's working now!

I had the same issue for several weeks now: the search bar wouldn't open, and the search bar within File Explorer wouldn't even let me type either. At the same time, when scrolling for apps in the Start menu, Start would crash.

I followed the steps suggested here by Paul Abayon, and it was step number three the one that worked for me and the problem is solved.

Thank you so very much!

Shultzie613, Sep 11, 2022
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Sep 11, 2022
  4. Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work

Please i need help my start button and the search bar is not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to find the best possible resolution to your problem.

Method 1:

Start button not working

This issue can be fixed by Windows Updates.Please refer to the suggestions by Sharath Srinivasa replied on January 23, 2015 in the link given below.

Redirecting

Method 2:

For search bar not working.

This could be due to some issues with the “Windows Search” service on the computer and due to which Windows is not able to start this service. Let me know, which troubleshooter you ran to find the root cause of the issue. Is it the “Search and Indexing”
    Troubleshooter? If yes, did you try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps?

If you haven’t tried the “Search and Indexing” Troubleshooter, then I would suggest you to try that first and let’s know the details. You may also try its suggestions and check the status.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 8.1 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Windows Search and Indexing settings. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Search and Indexing”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If that doesn’t help, then check the status of the “Windows Search” service from the Service Console. Please follow these steps:

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard to open the “Run” command box.
    • Type “Services.msc” in the “Run” command box and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Services” window, search for the Windows Search service, right click on it and the click on “Properties” from its context menu.
    • In the properties window, check if the service is started, if not click on “Start”.
    • Also, make sure that the “Startup Type” is set as “Automatic”.
    • Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
    • Now, check if the issue still persists.
    You can also refer to the suggestion by Paulsey from the following link and check if it helps.

Redirecting

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need help.

Regards,

Rajeshwari_Patil, Sep 11, 2022
Thema:

Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work

1. Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work - Similar Threads - Settings crashes open

2. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu search bar and settings dont work.: its been around a day since this problem started, the search bar on my task bar does not work doesn’t let me type and if i try to open the settings app it instantly closes after opening. not sure if this is a common problem or not but my searches for a solution online have...
  3. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search bar and settings dont work.: its been around a day since this problem started, the search bar on my task bar does not work doesn’t let me type and if i try to open the settings app it instantly closes after opening. not sure if this is a common problem or not but my searches for a solution online have...
  4. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work: windows 10, i already tried a whole system reset twice and have done everything else in the book including sfc and windows troubleshooter. when i press the start menu, the app has a little line below it....
  6. Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work

Settings crashes on open and start menu search bar doesnt work: windows 10, i already tried a whole system reset twice and have done everything else in the book including sfc and windows troubleshooter. when i press the start menu, the app has a little line below it....
  7. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  8. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  9. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Windows start menu not opening and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu not opening and search bar not working: So today my computer decided it was a great idea to not let me open the start menu at all. The search bar is also not working, I type something in and go to click on the app i want to run and it just refuses to open the app, as if i didn't click at all. When I tried to go...