Windows 10: settings: default apps by type

Discus and support settings: default apps by type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to set the default type for .ps files to gsview, already installed on my computer. But the settings-by-file-type dialog allows me only to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DOUGLASMCILROY, Feb 11, 2021.

1. settings: default apps by type

I want to set the default type for .ps files to gsview, already installed on my computer. But the settings-by-file-type dialog

allows me only to choose among a proffered list of types or to search in the app store. How do I point it at gsview?

:)

DOUGLASMCILROY, Feb 11, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

settings: default apps by type [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

settings: default apps by type [​IMG]

3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 11, 2021
  4. settings: default apps by type

setting default app by file type

How do you set the Kindle app to be defaulted to .mobi file type? I don't find the .mobi file type listed as a file type.

FloydYoung, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

settings: default apps by type

1. settings: default apps by type - Similar Threads - settings default apps

2. Removing "Default App" setting from file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing "Default App" setting from file type: I am running Windows 10. I accidentally chose a default app to open a certain type of file and now I can't set it back to "none". I do not want ANY app associated with this file type. How do I fix this? I already tried creating a dummy .exe file to associate it with and...
  3. Removing "Default App" setting from file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing "Default App" setting from file type: I am running Windows 10. I accidentally chose a default app to open a certain type of file and now I can't set it back to "none". I do not want ANY app associated with this file type. How do I fix this? I already tried creating a dummy .exe file to associate it with and...
  4. Removing "Default App" setting from file type

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to set default app for file type jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  6. How to set default app for file type jpg

How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  7. How to set the default for an app "by file type". desired type isn't offerred

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set the default for an app "by file type". desired type isn't offerred: I want to set kindle.exe as the default app for files with the type extension .acsm. That extension doesn't appear in the list of ones to choose from. How to do it?Any suggestions will be appreciated.SweetTasha...
  8. How to set the default for an app "by file type". desired type isn't offerred

How to set the default for an app "by file type". desired type isn't offerred: I want to set kindle.exe as the default app for files with the type extension .acsm. That extension doesn't appear in the list of ones to choose from. How to do it?Any suggestions will be appreciated.SweetTasha...
  9. Unable to open with or set default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open with or set default app for file type: Windows 10 Pro 64-bitVersion: 20H2OS Build: 19042.1052Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0I want to double click on a *.jpg file from my phone and have it open in Chrome.1 - Right clicking results in no "open with" option:2 - Default app for "photo...
  10. Set default app for .file type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30