Windows 10: Settings folder/icon has black X on it

Discus and support Settings folder/icon has black X on it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The settings folder/icon when in taskbar search box, and top apps has a black X on it now. Picture tells it all. I've tried deleting Icon cache, plus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SRM61X, May 6, 2022.

1. SRM61X Win User

Settings folder/icon has black X on it

The settings folder/icon when in taskbar search box, and top apps has a black X on it now. Picture tells it all. I've tried deleting Icon cache, plus doing it thru command prompt. SFC scan did find corrupt files and fixed them, but it still remains. I read something about a Windows update that is installed that is no longer supported but cannot find further info on that. Please help!

:)

SRM61X, May 6, 2022

2. How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin Settings folder/icon has black X on it :D

PVTCaboose1337, May 6, 2022
  3. wolf2009 Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, May 6, 2022
  4. psbecker Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, May 6, 2022
Thema:

1. Settings folder/icon has black X on it - Similar Threads - Settings folder icon

2. Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?: Hello, I am currently running Windows 11 on my system the new version 23H2 For about two weeks or so now I have began to notice that when I go into my Download Folder - my Folders have a black box background only on some of them. As you can see by the image below. A few steps...
  3. Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?: Hello, I am currently running Windows 11 on my system the new version 23H2 For about two weeks or so now I have began to notice that when I go into my Download Folder - my Folders have a black box background only on some of them. As you can see by the image below. A few steps...
  4. Settings folder/icon has black X on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings folder/icon has black X on it: The settings folder/icon when in taskbar search box, and top apps has a black X on it now. Picture tells it all. I've tried deleting Icon cache, plus doing it thru command prompt. SFC scan did find corrupt files and fixed them, but it still remains. I read something about a...
  5. Settings folder/icon has black X on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings folder/icon has black X on it: The settings folder/icon when in taskbar search box, and top apps has a black X on it now. Picture tells it all. I've tried deleting Icon cache, plus doing it thru command prompt. SFC scan did find corrupt files and fixed them, but it still remains. I read something about a...
  6. Folder Icons Settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder Icons Settings?: Hello, is it somehow possible to change the folder icon for a folder so that it still shows a preview of the contained files? I am grateful for any help. submitted by /u/ClarkR91 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tqbzwh/folder_icons_settings/
  7. Volume icon has "x" after windows updates.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume icon has "x" after windows updates.: When I left click it opens the troubleshooter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-icon-has-x-after-windows-updates/e3220dde-56e7-4e61-9733-e135508d83f1
  8. My Audio icon has a red X and no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Audio icon has a red X and no sound: Dear everyone, I am writing to you on behalf of Sound Problem in device. My laptop band is Asus, it is so old 3-4 years. I have just updated win 10, it isn't activated. My Audio icon has a red X and no sound. I saw many webs and solutions but It was not effective. It...
  9. Settings Notifications Icons Black Squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings Notifications Icons Black Squares: Since the November update I've found my icons in Settings / Notifications 'Show notifications from these apps' are black squares. I've tried deleting and rebuilding the icon and thumbnail caches, rebooted and still have the same. Before the update they were fine and...
  10. == black folder and icon windows 10 ==

in Windows 10 Support
    == black folder and icon windows 10 ==: i just got some errors, when i try to browse something in some applications, i got my folders and files become black or blank. i try to rebuild my iconcache, but still not working. it's annoying me. can anyone give me any solutions? 75941