Windows 10: Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update

Discus and support Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop was recently forcefully updated and it's effectively crippled my device in more ways than one. Nice update policy by the way, Microsoft T_T.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Guybot1001, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update

My laptop was recently forcefully updated and it's effectively crippled my device in more ways than one. Nice update policy by the way, Microsoft T_T.

Anyway, I'm trying to get into the settings to see if something in Windows Defender isn't interfering with Google Chrome because now that's not opening, and no more than a second of clicking on a category, it just closes itself out of nowhere. No warning, no indication of a crash, it just keels over and quits before I can even look at anything.

:)

Guybot1001, Jul 29, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 29, 2018
  3. Recently used items does not show after a recent Windows update

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

1) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

2) Did you check if similar issues occur when logged in to the computer using a different user account?

3) Do you have any system restore point set prior to the issue?

To check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

4) What is the particular Windows update you are referring to?

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
      Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update Windows_Key.png
      +
      I.
    • Click/tap Change PC settings.
    • Click on the Update and recovery and click on the View your update history.
    • You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
      "Successfully installed on (date)" links

As an initial step towards troubleshooting, I suggest you to check if the 'recently used item' feature is hidden. If yes, uncheck the options. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Properties.
    • Select the tab Start Menu.
    • Uncheck both the options for:

1) Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu

2) Store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Task Bar
    • Also select a higher number recent items to display in Jump List

If the above does not apply, please follow the below suggested methods and check in case if it is a functionality issue in Windows.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 29, 2018
  4. chispy Win User

Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update

1. Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update - Similar Threads - Settings closes itself

2. BSOD ever since update drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD ever since update drivers: So I used CCleaner to updated my drivers and now it messed up my laptop. I got BSOD everytime I shutdown and turn on the laptop, also happened when I put my laptop to sleep, restarting is normal, nothing happened. This is my recent dump files that I used WinDbg to opened:...
  3. BSOD ever since update drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD ever since update drivers: So I used CCleaner to updated my drivers and now it messed up my laptop. I got BSOD everytime I shutdown and turn on the laptop, also happened when I put my laptop to sleep, restarting is normal, nothing happened. This is my recent dump files that I used WinDbg to opened:...
  4. BSOD on laptop ever since update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on laptop ever since update: So I have a BSOD on my new laptop, I think its because when I update driver from CCleaner, Its messed up my computer and now I would like to uninstall the driver update from the CCleaner but I don’t know which one and how. Is there anyway I can just uninstall all the third...
  5. BSOD on laptop ever since update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on laptop ever since update: So I have a BSOD on my new laptop, I think its because when I update driver from CCleaner, Its messed up my computer and now I would like to uninstall the driver update from the CCleaner but I don’t know which one and how. Is there anyway I can just uninstall all the third...
  6. Massive problems with games ever since recent updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive problems with games ever since recent updates: Ever since an update or two before the 2004 version of Windows, I've been experiencing problems opening certain games. They would open to a blank window or their loading screen, then close. Then, after opening those specific games and having them crash, any time afterward...
  7. Ever since windows 10 2004...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ever since windows 10 2004...: Ever since Windows 10 2004 my screen tends to stay black when booting Windows! This is VERY annoying... Does anyone have a fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ever-since-windows-10-2004/80b37d06-7c90-41d0-840f-6f8910b69f8b
  8. Windows 10 Update Assistant Closing By Itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Assistant Closing By Itself: I've been running my PC on an older version of windows 10 2018 for a while now, and have decided to update my computer. Seeing that the normal windows 10 update process never managed to make it past 60% before it would die and send me back where i started, i decided to use...
  9. My disk has been running at 100% ever since a recent Windows update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My disk has been running at 100% ever since a recent Windows update.: HP Omen Desktop 870-224 7th Gen. Intel Core i5-7400 processor 8 GBB DDR4-2133 SDRAM mem. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Windows 10 I'm not much of a tech sav, however I had updated my computer a few days ago and didn't touch it until friday, I come back to it and it's all of a...
  10. No Sound Since Recent Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Sound Since Recent Windows Update: No sound on laptop since recent Windows update last night. This is the second time this has happened. The last time was a year or so ago and I brought my laptop to the store I purchased it from as it was a recent purchase. They fixed it. This time I am trying to fix the...