Windows 10: 'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality

Discus and support 'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When an application is using the microphone, an icon appears that says 'Settings is using your microphone' See microphone icon: [ATTACH] When this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnSmithDT, Sep 4, 2020.

1. 'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality

When an application is using the microphone, an icon appears that says 'Settings is using your microphone'

See microphone icon: 'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality 22da68cd-be27-48c3-bbf6-36932d3e789c?upload=true.jpg

When this happens the audio quality changes dramatically and you can notice that it became less better.

Is anyone encountered this issue and knows how to solve this?

I've tried formatting the computer, but no luck.

Thanks.

:)

JohnSmithDT, Sep 4, 2020
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Cant change microphone quality

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'd suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you're able to change the microphone quality.

1. Click on Start icon.

2. Type Manage audio devices and press Enter.

3. Click on Recording tab.

4. Right click on the Microphone and select Properties.

5. Click on Advanced tab.

6. Set the sample rate to CD Quality or DVD Quality.

7. Click on Apply and OK.

Restart the system and check. Update us on the result.

Hope it helps.

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Blue Snowball microphone with low audio quality on Windows 10.

Hi Eoin,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change microphone or audio settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Have you tried to check the issue by connecting with another microphone device on the computer?
    • Are you getting any error message on the computer when you use the Microphone?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in the Microsoft Help Article about sound related issues and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eac-4566-867a-98d2761a770d/fix-sound-problems

Please get back to us with an update on with low sound through Microphone, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Sep 4, 2020
  4. 'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality

Unable to change mic audio quality

Hello!

I've been looking around for a few days trying to figure out how to change the audio quality of mine and a friends microphone. Essentially, you just have to go to the advanced audio settings, and change the bit rate to the quality you want, hit apply and
    you're good to go.

Unfortunately, every time we try to change the mic quality, windows tells us that something is already using the device and changing the quality could cause the application using the mic to stop working. We click yes, and the window goes away, but after
    going back to check if it changed it still shows the current bitrate it was on. Luckily mine is set to CD Quality, my friend has theirs set to Telephone.

We are using corsair headsets, mines a Void, and theirs is a Void Pro. We've uninstalled the audio drivers, as well as the CUE and firmware and reinstalled. We've restarted and shutdown our systems. We have switched our default sound devices and disabled/re-enabled
    our devices. I dont know what else to do/try to allow us to change our bitrate for our microphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shadey X360A, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality

1. 'Settings is using your microphone' changes audio quality - Similar Threads - 'Settings using microphone'

2. Audio quality drops when using microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio quality drops when using microphone: Whenever I join a discord call, the audio quality of my headphones that are really good drop down to absolutely horrible audio quality. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-quality-drops-when-using-microphone/ccfe3493-031f-4480-8abc-b4f212a9554f
  3. Audio quality drops when using microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio quality drops when using microphone: Whenever I join a discord call, the audio quality of my headphones that are really good drop down to absolutely horrible audio quality. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-quality-drops-when-using-microphone/ccfe3493-031f-4480-8abc-b4f212a9554f
  4. audio quality drops when my microphone is activated in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    audio quality drops when my microphone is activated in settings: Whenever my mic is enabled in the windows privacy settings my desktop audio quality drops, even is I turn the actual microphone off. I have gone through all the troubleshooting I can in the setting for this, contacted Microsoft support , let them take control of my screen and...
  5. audio quality drops when my microphone is activated in settings

audio quality drops when my microphone is activated in settings: Whenever my mic is enabled in the windows privacy settings my desktop audio quality drops, even is I turn the actual microphone off. I have gone through all the troubleshooting I can in the setting for this, contacted Microsoft support , let them take control of my screen and...
  6. Cannot change my microphone quality

Cannot change my microphone quality: I have a professional microphone and ever since i bought my new computer I cannot change the quality in the advanced microphone settings. It used to be at studio quality but now only dvd and cd show. It is very frustrating...
  7. Cannot change my microphone quality

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot change my microphone quality: I have a professional microphone and ever since i bought my new computer I cannot change the quality in the advanced microphone settings. It used to be at studio quality but now only dvd and cd show. It is very frustrating...
  8. Game bar microphone audio quality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game bar microphone audio quality: When I try to record my own screen, including the microphone, it sounds awful. Tons of white noise, tinny sounding voice, it sounds like screeching sometimes. I'm using a Logitech G933 that records my voice perfectly using other softwares, so I know it is not the microphone...
  9. Unable to change microphone quality

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to change microphone quality: [ATTACH] can anyone please tell me why I can't change my microphone quality? I was able to a few days ago but no longer. I can change it on my headset microphone but not this standalone microphone I am currently using (USB PnP audio device)...
  10. Cant change microphone quality

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant change microphone quality: I cannot change the microphone quality beyond 8000 hrtz. I have tried everything from uninstalling to drivers to manufacturer software. When I select a higher quality a window pops up saying the device is in use by another application and may end current applications. Would I...