Windows 10: Settings lost after update/reboot

Discus and support Settings lost after update/reboot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Several times my settings for various programs have disappeared after rebooting. This has mostly happened after a windows update. It's as though I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by trajomarx, Nov 16, 2019.

1. trajomarx Win User

Settings lost after update/reboot

Several times my settings for various programs have disappeared after rebooting. This has mostly happened after a windows update.

It's as though I were setting up a new computer time and again. With Microsoft forcing updates all the time, it is driving me crazy.

How can I make sure this won't happen?

:)

trajomarx, Nov 16, 2019
  2. ibt2014 Win User

Windows 10 Language Settings Lost After Reboot

On one of our PCs where we upgraded to Windows 10, the handwriting recognition on the on=screen keyboard was not enabled. After some searching we found how to enable this and it worked.

The steps followed were:

The steps below show how to resolve this.

1: Right click the Windows flag in the bottom right of your desktop and open control panel

2: Click on Languages

3: Click "Options" on the right hand side of the 'English US' language selection

4: At the bottom of the page make sure the 'Write Characters In Freehand' option is ticked, then click "Personalise Handwriting Recognition"

5: Now click 'Target Specific Recognition Errors'

6: Next click 'Character" or "Word" you specify, and then proceed to type in any 6 letter word of you choice via the keyboard, Click next

7: Proceed to use your finger/mouse to write the word you have chosen into the yellow boxes, Click next and repeat the process

8: Click finish and finally click update and exit

On this one PC these settings are lost on reboot, and we have to repeat the process.

Why are the settings getting reset/lost on reboot?

ibt2014, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Settings lost after update/reboot - Similar Threads - Settings lost update

2. Lost Wifi settings after new update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Wifi settings after new update: Just updated to the latest version of Windows but now I can’t open wifi settings. Shows on bar at bottom but not present when I click on it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-wifi-settings-after-new-update/d4250dcc-0397-42d0-8618-b61fa9a7e2bb
  3. Lost Wifi settings after new update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Wifi settings after new update: Just updated to the latest version of Windows but now I can’t open wifi settings. Shows on bar at bottom but not present when I click on it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-wifi-settings-after-new-update/d4250dcc-0397-42d0-8618-b61fa9a7e2bb
  4. Projection Settings are "lost" after reboot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Projection Settings are "lost" after reboot: Hello, I am experiencing a strange problem after updating the drivers and BIOS on my laptop: my prefered setting is "second screen only" . after a reboot I get "duplicate" (de facto) however "second screen only stays selectedin blue. to fix this I need to move the selection...
  5. USB-connection is lost after reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-connection is lost after reboot: I have a User interface running on a PC. The display is an LCD-panel with a touch-USB the touchscreen. Now this particular installation has no room for the PC close to the touchscreen, so we are using a HDMI-KVM extender KVM = Keyboard/Video/Mouse where the input and video...
  6. IP Settings Lost after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP Settings Lost after reboot: Dear all, I have a network problem on a PC with Win 10. I use a static IP but after the reboot the settings change to DHCP. I found that the cause is the service named 'DHCP Client', in fact the IP settings aren't lost if this service is disabled. On the other PCs the...
  7. Lost settings after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost settings after update: Please please please STOP changing my settings when you update Windows. It is incredibly frustrating, wastes my time and energy and is having an impact on my business as a sole trader. I can see from questions from other users that many people are having the same problem....
  8. Windows 10 Language Settings Lost After Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Language Settings Lost After Reboot: On one of our PCs where we upgraded to Windows 10, the handwriting recognition on the on=screen keyboard was not enabled. After some searching we found how to enable this and it worked. The steps followed were: The steps below show how to resolve this. 1: Right click...
  9. I lost stuff after a reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    I lost stuff after a reboot: Hi, I downloaded Win 10 and set everything up, then made sure my virus protection (Norton) was updated. I then rebooted and lost everything I set up. I don't have a background anymore and I lost some of my gadgets and the ones I lost won't go back into the side bar...
  10. Projection settings are lost upon reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Projection settings are lost upon reboot: I have my laptop hooked up to an external display via HDMI. The projection settings made using Winkey + P gets reset to "Duplicate" every time I reboot, and I have to go in and manually change it back to "Second screen only". Is there still a way to set this permanently?...