Windows 10: Settings not holding with monitor off at boot

Discus and support Settings not holding with monitor off at boot in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; If Windows 10 starts with my monitor turned off, text and icon sizes aren't correct. Rebooting corrects the icons, but I have to go back and reset text... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by larc919, Feb 5, 2017.

1. larc919 Win User

Settings not holding with monitor off at boot

If Windows 10 starts with my monitor turned off, text and icon sizes aren't correct. Rebooting corrects the icons, but I have to go back and reset text sizes in Control Panel > Display > Change only the text size, since those settings have all reverted to default sizes. Desktop icon positions are sometimes not retained. Also, when I update the Nvidia GTX-1050 driver and select clean install, monitor resolution isn't retained for the period between the old driver being deleted and the new one installed. That displaces desktop icons. I didn't have any of those problems with the GTX-750 I used until recently, even with the same UHD monitor. Any ideas whether this might be a graphics card problem or whether 64-bit Windows 10 Pro is at fault? When I first installed the GTX-1050, Windows didn't automatically set the correct 3840x2160 monitor resolution as it did with the GTX-750, even before the Nvidia driver was installed.

:)

larc919, Feb 5, 2017

2. Monitor turns off too fast to see whats holding up my shutdown process.

Another tool we can use supposedly for diagnosing problems with Shutdown or Boot is WPRUI (from the WPT). (Then WPA would have some clues for you when you opened the trace.) However, it's possible that things could be slowed down enough by the diagnostic
    that you would then have a better chance to read the messages before they flashed away. <eg>

Also, I would take a look at the Event logs. I imagine there would have to be some kind of extra detail available that way for this or at least some extra logging which could be added to make it clear enough. (I haven't looked at this possibility myself
    so I can't be more specific.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Feb 5, 2017
  3. Monitor turns off too fast to see whats holding up my shutdown process.

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Method 2: Also try running troubleshooter for
    Power. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Power and click on next.
    • Follow the onscreen instruction.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 5, 2017
  4. batlhilz Win User

when you change the text size, do you actually "log out" from the current user and then log back in before rebooting?
    my 5 cents and just out of curiousity

batlhilz, Feb 6, 2017
  5. larc919 Win User
    No, have never done that. Setting text the same as for 2 other PCs that have no problems if monitors aren't turned on when they start, both with earlier Nvidia cards (GTX-750 Ti & GT-640) that use the same driver as the GTX-1050.

larc919, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Settings not holding with monitor off at boot - Similar Threads - Settings holding monitor

2. Monitors turn off after booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitors turn off after booting: Hey, I need help with this issue I have where my monitors I have 2 turn off right after the booting screen disappears, or maybe they don't turn off but it shows that there is no signal. I've tried changing sources 1 used display port and the other uses hdmi I changed the...
  3. Monitors turn off after booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors turn off after booting: Hey, I need help with this issue I have where my monitors I have 2 turn off right after the booting screen disappears, or maybe they don't turn off but it shows that there is no signal. I've tried changing sources 1 used display port and the other uses hdmi I changed the...
  4. Monitors turn off after booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off: when i start my laptop this image come . how to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-mode-is-set-to-legacy-secure-boot-off/3dc795a0-4f54-498b-a899-2309ae4addc1
  6. boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off: when i start my laptop this image come . how to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-mode-is-set-to-legacy-secure-boot-off/3dc795a0-4f54-498b-a899-2309ae4addc1
  7. HDMI Monitor turns off after boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI Monitor turns off after boot: My HDMI is fine, until windows loads. Then it shuts off and we have to reboot it again to get it to stay on. I've tried 2 monitors and I've updated the drivers, so I'm not sure whats happening here....
  8. Accidenitly Turned Off Monitor Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accidenitly Turned Off Monitor Settings: I have a Windows 10 laptop with a broken screen. I had been using an external monitor just fine, however, I went into my settings and accidently turned off the external monitor settings. I thought I was turning off the broken, attached monitor, but it turned off my external...
  9. Monitor turns off after boot!

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor turns off after boot!: I think I' ve screwed something :-( I've installed the latest insider on my desktop as it works fine on the netbook, and now the screen turns off after the boot screen, the computer doesn't hang and seems to show signs of working (HDD light flashing). The video card is OK....
  10. Going to hold off installing

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to hold off installing: I am going to hold off installing windows 10 as I don't know whether my anti virus will work and any of my other paid products I have until new drivers and bugs have been ironed out. Also if my laptop crashes then I am stuck from contacting my girlfriend who lives the other...