Windows 10: Settings pages in Windows 10 Search

Discus and support Settings pages in Windows 10 Search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use the search bar to find folders very often - it works a hell of a lot better than previous versions of Windows and my hands don't have to leave... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Alexander Bell, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Settings pages in Windows 10 Search

I use the search bar to find folders very often - it works a hell of a lot better than previous versions of Windows and my hands don't have to leave the keyboard for me to find the folder or file I need. Works great, except when I want to get to my Documents folder. For some odd reason, the highlighted search result is some obscure Settings page called Documents library privacy settings. Probably handy for those who need it - but I don't. Don't think I ever will. So I press the Windows key to open Start, I type documents and press Enter. Tell me why I get a settings page one would use very rarely if at all instead of the well known and useful Documents folder which is where I'm trying to get to.

Are there any ways to remove that particular Settings page from search (while keeping others), or prioritize the Documents folder above that Settings page? I think a setting to change which Settings pages appear in Search would be great for many more than just myself. I tried using gpedit as in this guide and that did nothing, not even disable access in the Settings app directly much less remove it from Search.

edit note I do know about folder: search prefix but why do I have to type that out instead of just searching for Documents and getting the Documents folder

:)

Alexander Bell, Nov 25, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Start menu Search can't click on search results leading to Settings pages + Settings search results not loading

Hello Abhishek,

We regret the inconvenience and at the same time we appreciate the effort you have put in to resolve the issue. Let me assist you further.

From the description provided, I understand that you are experiencing functionality issues with Windows in the following areas:

• Search Results in the Settings pane do not work.
    • The Search results through Search Bar in Windows is unresponsive or sporadic when it comes to basic functionality.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to try the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you have the correct permissions
    to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• 1. Type Troubleshooting in the Search box
      from the desktop.

2. Select the Troubleshooting option.

3. Select View All option and select the Search
      and Indexing

4. Click on Next to perform the Search
      and Indexing troubleshooter
      and follow the steps.

Now, follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.

• To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Click
      here
      for more information about running the DISM Tool.

Method 2

Lets try to narrow down the issue, if the issue is at a specific user level.
    I suggest you to check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different Local Administrator user account.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Assuming that you are already logged on to your user account in Windows 10, click the Start button.
    • From the Start menu, click your name from the top of the left pane.
    • From the displayed options click Sign out.
    • From the login screen, click to the different user account you want to switch to.

However, if you do not have a separate user account, I suggest you to create another Local administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

Kindly keep us posted on the results for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Settings pages in Windows 10 Search

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Settings pages in Windows 10 Search

1. Settings pages in Windows 10 Search - Similar Threads - Settings pages Search

2. Search page with PCH

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search page with PCH: I heard that I can change something in my control panel to stop the request page for searches in PCH website. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-page-with-pch/01698b81-caf7-4dab-9d66-2f5e169c157e
  3. Search page with PCH

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search page with PCH: I heard that I can change something in my control panel to stop the request page for searches in PCH website. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-page-with-pch/01698b81-caf7-4dab-9d66-2f5e169c157e
  4. Search page with PCH

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 10 Settings Error / broken Settings pages

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Settings Error / broken Settings pages: All the options in settings drop down menus are missing, and any links on setting pages are either missing or do not work, which means I cannot connect to wifi if it isn't a network I've used before. I have no idea what's going on, but effectively my settings page is broken....
  6. Windows 10 Settings Page

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Settings Page: I pressed something accidentally and the top of my "Settings" page in Windows 10 now has a large bar that includes the following headings/information -- "Local Account" "One Drive" and "Windows Update." The top of the page previously just said "Windows Settings" and now I...
  7. Windows 10 Settings Page issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Settings Page issue: This is a minor issue but there is no image on my Account page in Windows 10 settings. I have added an image. submitted by /u/KiritoAsuna7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hywpzd/windows_10_settings_page_issue/
  8. windows 10 news page & search page ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 news page & search page ?: Is light & dark the only theme you have to choose from ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-news-page-search-page/1a4eb670-9658-49a0-8ad7-0a2ae5e758dc
  9. Search on page hijack

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Search on page hijack: My problem is unique. When entering in a search, web site or anything, the entry window changes to a Search on page drop down. this happens on IE, Edge and others. I need to retype my request sometinges 2-3 times to get it to search for the connection I need. Search on page...
  10. set the home page in the search engine Edge

in Browsers and Email
    set the home page in the search engine Edge: I can not set the home page in the Edge message MSN. I can not find her. 63050