Windows 10: Settings/Privacy/Background Apps always crashes when selected

Discus and support Settings/Privacy/Background Apps always crashes when selected in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Was trying to get Your Phone working on Desktop machine (AMD-64, Insider slow May 1903 updated today). It all works fine on my SPro4 (same version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bilze, May 21, 2019.

1. Bilze Win User

Settings/Privacy/Background Apps always crashes when selected

Was trying to get Your Phone working on Desktop machine (AMD-64, Insider slow May 1903 updated today). It all works fine on my SPro4 (same version of windows). Following advice on windows site to check settings in Privacy/Background Apps only results in repeated crashes of the settings app/window.

Additionally (related?): Your Phone app won't get past the "Sign in with Microsoft" screen, which lists my MS account. Clicking on "continue" does nothing. I have reset the app, and deleted and re-added my MS account from this machine as well. Anyone have similar issues?

:)

Bilze, May 21, 2019

2. Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, May 21, 2019
  3. Jomel Ber Win User
    Apps only run as background pocesses

Hi Carmine,

To manage background apps in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings.
    • Click on Privacy on the Settings window.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Background apps.
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an
      On/Off toggle.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, May 21, 2019
  4. Skofab Win User

Privacy - background apps query

I wanted to turn off Edge, so went to settings / privacy - and clicked on running background apps.
    My other pc's show a fairly comprehensive list, but this Windows 10. 32 bit laptop shows just one entry for Skype.
    Any thoughts how I can restore the anticipated list.
    Thanks

Skofab, May 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Settings/Privacy/Background Apps always crashes when selected - Similar Threads - Settings Privacy Background

2. Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings is crashing when I click on Privacy Settings.: I have tried opening Privacy Settings directly by using search instead but it doesn't open. If I go to settings first and then click on Privacy, the window just closes. Any suggestions on what I can try to resolve this?...
  3. Settings app crashes in some sections of privacy settings

Settings app crashes in some sections of privacy settings: Settings app just crashes in some sections of privacy settings location for example.Win version: 10.0.22621Tried, didn't help: 1. sfc scannow2. dism3. resetting app in settingsHere are the logs:1. Application ErrorFailed application name: SystemSettings.exe, version:...
  4. Settings app crashes in some sections of privacy settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings app crashes in some sections of privacy settings: Settings app just crashes in some sections of privacy settings location for example.Win version: 10.0.22621Tried, didn't help: 1. sfc scannow2. dism3. resetting app in settingsHere are the logs:1. Application ErrorFailed application name: SystemSettings.exe, version:...
  5. The Privacy Settings App crashes when I try to open microphone privacy settings

The Privacy Settings App crashes when I try to open microphone privacy settings: I did mess with services.msc and I want to fix it but don't know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-privacy-settings-app-crashes-when-i-try-to/a52aeb78-59ac-4f59-a9d9-329d13d14500
  6. The Privacy Settings App crashes when I try to open microphone privacy settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Privacy Settings App crashes when I try to open microphone privacy settings: I did mess with services.msc and I want to fix it but don't know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-privacy-settings-app-crashes-when-i-try-to/a52aeb78-59ac-4f59-a9d9-329d13d14500
  7. Microphone Privacy Settings for Select Apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone Privacy Settings for Select Apps: Is there a way to allow microphone access to select apps? I have the option to control access to individual Microsoft Store apps, but either all or no desktop apps. Is there an alternative way to restrict access? For example, I'd like to only provide Google Chrome, but...
  8. Settings app crashes when opening privacy settings for microphone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Settings app crashes when opening privacy settings for microphone.: [ATTACH] I was using my microphone on my razer headset a few days ago, until I come back, and it had just stopped working. The headset works fine, but the mic does not seem to be recording any sound. I have already checked the sound control panel and everything is selected...
  9. What is Background app setting on privacy setting?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is Background app setting on privacy setting?: Hi Sirs, may I check what is the background app setting for on privacy setting? What does it benefit? Can it spoil the laptops or computers, if I turn each of them off?...
  10. Privacy - background apps query

Privacy - background apps query: I wanted to turn off Edge, so went to settings / privacy - and clicked on running background apps. My other pc's show a fairly comprehensive list, but this Windows 10. 32 bit laptop shows just one entry for Skype. Any thoughts how I can restore the anticipated list. Thanks...