Windows 10: Settings search and Windows Spotlight not working on new laptop

Discus and support Settings search and Windows Spotlight not working on new laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I just got an Aero 15 X9 (Amazon.com: (3/22-4/12 Special Price) GIGABYTE AERO 15-X9-RT5P 15 Accessories). Everything is fine hardware-wise. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leftisthominid, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Settings search and Windows Spotlight not working on new laptop

Hello,

I just got an Aero 15 X9 (Amazon.com: (3/22-4/12 Special Price) GIGABYTE AERO 15-X9-RT5P 15 Accessories). Everything is fine hardware-wise. I did all the Windows updates, and I tried to start using it.

I have noticed that I cannot enable Windows Spotlight for the login screen. Also, when I open settings, and I type something in the search bar it does not work. Pressing enter yields me no results. I do not get any autocompletes either.

What should I do?

:)

leftisthominid, Mar 30, 2019
  2. MGranback Win User

Windows Spotlight Not Working

If that didn't work then what I originally did to get mine working was to:

1. Switch the Lock Screen from Spotlight to picture

2. Delete the image files in the Assets folder AND

3. Rename (add ".bak" to the file name) each of the files in settings Folder.

4. Close out of settings and restart the computer

5. After restarting switch the Lock Screen back to Spotlight, restart again, and give it several hours to see if new images are downloaded to the Assets folder and the Lock Screen starts updating with new Spotlight images.

I tried the suggestions of just deleting the image files or renaming the files in the Settings folder and neither seemed to accomplish anything by themselves. Doing both at the same time, however, got it working again. Again, that was before I found the
    original steps listed in the previous message also got it working again for me.

It does seem, however, that the Spotlight Lock Screen feature is pretty fragile. My desktop went back to the default image after the last Windows update while laptop continued working fine after the same update.

Good Luck

MGranback, Mar 30, 2019
  3. welcome screen is not asking if i like the spotlight choice

Hi,

One of the possible reasons why your laptop is not asking if you like the spotlight choice might be because the Windows spotlight is not set as your lock screen background. To address this concern, we suggest enabling Windows spotlight as your lock screen
    background. To do so, follow these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Personalization and then select Lock screen.
    • Under Background, click on the drop down menu and make sure to click on Windows spotlight.

If further assistance is needed, don't hesitate to reply on this thread.

Darleen Pen, Mar 30, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Settings search and Windows Spotlight not working on new laptop

Spotlight

Hi,

Windows spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen. For us to better isolate your concern, we'd like to gather more information:

• Is there a way for you to provide us a screenshot?
    • Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Are you able to use spotlight before?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps to modify Lock screen background to spotlight:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Personalization and select Lock screen.
    • Under Background, choose Windows spotlight.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

Settings search and Windows Spotlight not working on new laptop

1. Settings search and Windows Spotlight not working on new laptop - Similar Threads - Settings search Spotlight

2. Windows spotlight setting doesn't work for lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows spotlight setting doesn't work for lock screen: I navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen > Personalize your lock screen and choose "Windows spotlight". But the moment I exit and re-enter the personalization menu - it is reverted back to "picture" mode. Things I already tried as troubleshooting1. I checked for...
  3. Windows Spotlight is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Spotlight is not working.: Hello everyoneI have Windows 11 v 23H2One of the features I like the most is the Windows spotlight feature where the desktop wallpaper changes every few days. However, this has stopped working for a few weeks and now is stuck on 1 picture. When I right-click on the spotlight...
  4. Windows Spotlight not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Spotlight not working: in Settings>Personalization>Background, I am not able to switch the 'Personalize your background' to Spotlight. When i click the list next to 'Personalize your background' and click on 'Windows Spotlight', This is what happens :- It won't let me select the 'Windows Spotlight'...
  5. Windows Spotlight not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Spotlight not working: in Settings>Personalization>Background, I am not able to switch the 'Personalize your background' to Spotlight. When i click the list next to 'Personalize your background' and click on 'Windows Spotlight', This is what happens :- It won't let me select the 'Windows Spotlight'...
  6. windows spotlight not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows spotlight not working: So, My windows spotlight doesn't work when the computer starts , it shows the default windows 11 wallpaper but when i go to lock screen again after 15 min of started of pc the wallpaper changes to spotlight one can somebody help? thanks!...
  7. Windows Spotlight Not Working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Spotlight Not Working: The windows spotlight feature on my PC isn’t working, it either shows a blank blue screen or the mountain picture I’m sure everyone has seen before. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to fix it? I’m short of ideas besides wiping my computer, which is rather...
  8. Spotlight setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotlight setting: My spotlight setting has stopped working. The question comes up in right hand corner - "Do you like this picture?" and has the St Louis Bridge but this never changes. Works fine on my lap top but not on my desktop. It is static. How do I get this to work? Thank you...
  9. Windows Spotlight Not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Spotlight Not working.: Windows spotlight not working on my Windows 10 1909 even after deleting the files in content delivery manager folder (assets folder). After deleting the files, only an accent colour (chosen from desktop background) is seen on the lock seen. Please help me with this issue....
  10. Windows Spotlight Not Working/ Changing Back to "Picture" Setting

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Spotlight Not Working/ Changing Back to "Picture" Setting: Hi , I have issue with my windows spotlight where I'm unable to set it to windows spotlight . All just working i'm originally been using windows spotlight after I set it to picture a month ago . Last week I tried to set it back to windows spotlight but it keeps changing...