Windows 10: Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else)

Discus and support Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently switched my system's display language from English (US) to Japanese, and then back. Everything is normal, except when I search for settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Blackdrazon, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else)

I recently switched my system's display language from English (US) to Japanese, and then back. Everything is normal, except when I search for settings in the Settings window or the Start menu, which is still in Japanese. I have restarted multiple times, and done everything on this page and others:

How to change system language on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Here are my language settings, region, etc:

Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else) [​IMG]

And yet...

I've even tried uninstalling the Japanese language pack, but no dice: the search remains in Japanese, as though the programs were renamed or something.

Any ideas? My version number is 20H2 build 19042.867.

:)

Blackdrazon, Mar 20, 2021

2. Wrong language for Settings search results - Windows 10

The solution is far easier than that. The reason for this "bug" is because Windows indexes the settings options only in a certain scenario, the easiest way to do this I found on this link.

Before I had tried rebuilding index, renaming folders, nothing worked. Here are the steps:

1. Open Control Panel (“Windows Settings”)
    2. Open “Time & Language”
    3. Click “Language” (on the left)
    4. Click “Administrative Language Settings” (on the right)
    5. A popup opened up, called “Region”. In the Tab “Administrative” and te field “Welcome screen and new user accounts”, click “Copy Settings”.
    6. Tick the boxes “Welcome screen and system accounts” and “new user accounts”.
    7. Click OK and reboot.
    8. Now, go to language settings, set back the “old” language (Germany in my case) as display language, sign out of windows, sign in again.
    9. Now Set English as display language, sign out of windows and sign in
      again.

Karmen Sali, Mar 20, 2021
  3. stefkost Win User
    Search results in wrong language

Thank you for your quick response.

Unfortunately, I had already tried this but it is not working. I tried it again, but search results are still displayed in the wrong language. Problem is, after step 9 ("Put a check mark on Welcome
    screen and system accounts
    and New user accounts") I click OK, but if I open the same window again ("Copy settings") the boxes are unchecked.

Any other suggestions please? It is really unpleasant.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

stefkost, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else)

microsoft photos language

Hi Magda,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Type settings in the search box.
    • Click on time and language.
    • Click on region and language.
    • Click on add a language.
    • Select the particular language and then make it as default by right clicking on the language and click on as default.

Please post back with the updated status to assist you further.

Thank you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Mar 20, 2021
Thema:

Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else)

1. Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else) - Similar Threads - Settings search wrong

2. One program, nothing else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One program, nothing else: I have a charity who bought a new windows 11 laptop. I want to set up a log in profile that will open only 1 program on startup and restrict the user to that program only. Nothing else at all.Is this possible?...
  3. One program, nothing else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One program, nothing else: I have a charity who bought a new windows 11 laptop. I want to set up a log in profile that will open only 1 program on startup and restrict the user to that program only. Nothing else at all.Is this possible?...
  4. My network settings only show airplane mode and nothing else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My network settings only show airplane mode and nothing else: Here is an image of what it shows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-network-settings-only-show-airplane-mode-and/37ab6022-f4fd-40e3-a8cd-89fd9bc890f9
  5. My network settings only show airplane mode and nothing else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My network settings only show airplane mode and nothing else: Here is an image of what it shows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-network-settings-only-show-airplane-mode-and/37ab6022-f4fd-40e3-a8cd-89fd9bc890f9
  6. My network settings only show airplane mode and nothing else

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. cortana only searches bings, nothing else

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cortana only searches bings, nothing else: I just tried using cortana for the first time, had my laptop for more than a year but never thought about using cortana before today. but no matter what i send her she just searches bing and cannot do any of the other functionalities, it's really frustrating since i've got my...
  8. Windows search showing wrong connected account in search settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search showing wrong connected account in search settings: I'm on Windows 10 Pro 1903 using a local account that has multiple Microsoft accounts added to the email/calendar app. However on the new windows search, in the menu located on the top right hand corner next to feedback, it is showing connected accounts and there is one of...
  9. Windows insider email set to the wrong language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows insider email set to the wrong language: My system language is English and I working in China. Why has the recent insider email from Microsoft sent to me in Japanese? I expect it to be in English, also how can I read the latest insider email in English?...
  10. Outlook - sharing a search folder (but ideally nothing else)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook - sharing a search folder (but ideally nothing else): I run an info@ email address. I've just taken on a part-timer who's got her own name@ email address. Certain emails come in via info@ that I categorise under her name. I've then got a search folder that picks up everything in that category. Is there a way I can share...