Windows 10: Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in...

Discus and support Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My c drive filled completely with temp files a couple months ago, and at the same time I could not open settings (using the icon or the search box), or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by leda3333, Jun 25, 2019.

1. leda3333 Win User

Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in...

My c drive filled completely with temp files a couple months ago, and at the same time I could not open settings (using the icon or the search box), or edge. At some point edge disappeared altogether - will not come up with a search. Microsoft Store icon is missing. Through trial and error I was able to find and delete the temp files, but they are filling up again, and I do not have access to any of the settings functions to help. Temp files have increased by 30 gb in the last 10 days. I am not techy, but can follow step by step instruction. Would really appreciate some help!

:)

leda3333, Jun 25, 2019
  2. OctavioCP Win User

AxInstSV Filling up C:\ drive with TEMP files after last WIndows 10 Updgrade (May 2018)

Hello,

After the last Windows 10 update to the version 1803, compilation 17134.48 installed on 19/05/2018, the c:\ drive gets filled up gradually untill it is completely full.

Running the tool to cleanup the disk shows that the TEMP files are the large portion of what is filling it up (around 30 Gb, that corresponds to the normal free space).

Activating the same tool to do a disk cleanup, it will only show 3 or 4 categories of TEMP files, each with around 10 Mb each, none of which correspond to the mentioned 30 Gb.

Cleaning with the disk cleanup tool will delete the mentioned 3 or 4 categories, freeing around 200 or 300 Mb, but NOT the 30 Gb.

Using CCleaner, I was able to find the service that is filling up the c:\ drive.

The culprit seems to be AxInstSV . It will fill up the c:\windows\TEMP directory with a very, very long list of files with names as:

AppXDeploymentServer_8D4BFFAF-EF9C-0001-0D10-508D9CEFD301.evtx

Each one with around 5188 Kb, and they keep adding up, untill the drive is full.

Using the CCleaner, these .evtx files can be deleted, but as soon as that is done, the Service restarts to build them up again.

Using the Services Application, the ActiveX Installer will display as Stopped, and in Manual Mode.

Manually starting, and then stopping it causes no change in the pilling up of .evtx files.

I will be looking forward to hear from you soon with a solution for this problem.

Thank you.

OctavioCP, Jun 25, 2019
  3. PDQpat Win User
    C:\Windows\Temp filled up system disk

Thank you. I've deleted them all. Would love to know WHY they are there. I just discovered the location to set environment variables and set all four TMP/TEMP to D:\Temp - this may solve a lot of problems I've been having with thousands of downloads filling
    up C, even if the D drive is slow. I created a scheduled batch file that ran Ccleaner and Cleanmgr.exe on startup "if missed". I don't boot and it's hard to get a task to run on wake, or to wake to run.

Thanks again. Will consider this solved until next time..

PDQpat, Jun 25, 2019
  4. AlainD Win User

Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in...

Windows 10 reports low disk space after filling up C:\Windows\Temp

This solution described here has worked for me (tested after several reboots). However, I should stress that a web search reveals that hundreds are having problems with C:\Windows\Temp filling up with garbage, especially with Windows 10 v1803. Exact causes appear to be variable so my solution will only apply in some cases. Feel free to add additional solutions...but keep them related specifically to C:\Windows\Temp.

My problem appears to be related to the in-built Windows Store app and the AppX Deployment Service. I disabled both as follows:

Disable the Store application using Group Policy Editor

Note: You may need Administrative privileges for this.

• WIN+R and type gpedit.msc
    • User Configuration > Windows Components > Store
    • Enable Turn off the Store application

Disable the AppX Deployment Service using Registry Editor

Note: Usual proviso here is to be careful when editing the registry! Changing this manually using services.msc does not work (Windows resets it to Manual or does not allow you to change it at all)

• WIN+R and type regedit.exe
    • Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppXSvc
    • Change Start to 4
    • This sets the service to Disabled

Reboot Windows and clear out C:\Windows\Temp

• Reboot Windows
    • Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Temp
    • You may be asked for Administrative consent to enter this folder, agree to this
    • Select all and choose Delete
    • If Windows cannot delete a file because it is in use, just skip

The above steps worked for me and so far no new files have been added to C:\Windows\Temp.

AlainD, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in... - Similar Threads - Settings open Edge

2. C: drive filling up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive filling up: I have a new Surface Go 2 laptop with Windows 11 Home installed. There should be about 120 G storage space on it. My apps are listed in System / Storage as using about 90 GB and I have hardly anything else on the machine - it is all in the cloud. The C drive is sitting at red...
  3. C: drive filling up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive filling up: I have a new Surface Go 2 laptop with Windows 11 Home installed. There should be about 120 G storage space on it. My apps are listed in System / Storage as using about 90 GB and I have hardly anything else on the machine - it is all in the cloud. The C drive is sitting at red...
  4. Temp files fill hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temp files fill hard drive: Hi. I just bought a new HP desktop with Win 11. Imagine my surprise to find my 237gb SSD drive is filled with 198gb of temporary and system files which I apparently can't remove. I already deleted a 19gb Windows.old file. How can I get rid of the rest of the stuff crowding my...
  5. Temp files fill hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp files fill hard drive: Hi. I just bought a new HP desktop with Win 11. Imagine my surprise to find my 237gb SSD drive is filled with 198gb of temporary and system files which I apparently can't remove. I already deleted a 19gb Windows.old file. How can I get rid of the rest of the stuff crowding my...
  6. C: Drive Filling Up Fast!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: Drive Filling Up Fast!: Hi!My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to C:5 Deleting softwareBut still within a month, or two C: fills up. I...
  7. C:// Drive Filling Up..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C:// Drive Filling Up..: I Have Windows 10 2004 edition, the storage on the C:// Drive has been filling up anonymously and largely, I haven't downloaded anything in the past 15 days, neither updated anything. Do you know whats wrong with it??? submitted by /u/ThatPlex [link] [comments]...
  8. c drive filled up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    c drive filled up.: Mistery. I have done everthing suggested but it still fills up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-filled-up/44551698-0f97-4f57-be70-eb26615cf199
  9. AppX filling up temp file!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AppX filling up temp file!: What does Microsoft say about the problem of AppX error/service filling up a Temp file and that even if you delete it they start again? It uses up computer memory.....!!! Thank you....
  10. Hard Drive Filling Up with Temp log files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Filling Up with Temp log files: My HP Laptop harddrive is filling up with Event Log files in the Windows Temp folder. The harddrive fills totally within 2 days running. Solution...