Windows 10: Settings window takes ages to load language list

Discus and support Settings window takes ages to load language list in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I hope I'm not posting this twice now. The first time around, the thread seems to have disappeared. So on my new laptop, ever since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LemonWolf, Dec 27, 2016.

1. LemonWolf Win User

Settings window takes ages to load language list

Hey everyone,

I hope I'm not posting this twice now. The first time around, the thread seems to have disappeared.

So on my new laptop, ever since I tried to add English as a second language, the settings window takes ages to load the liist of installed languages. The options for each language won't load at all. And when I try to restart Windows, I get a notification that the language installer is preventing Windows from shutting down.
    So something obviously gets hung up there.

Any ideas?

(I had suspected O&O Shutup, but I have since restored it to factory settings, and nothing has changed.)

:)

LemonWolf, Dec 27, 2016

2. File Explorer Takes Ages to Load, Thumbnails Don't Show Up

Hi,

Some suggestions.

1. Create a new local user account to test.

2. If this happens in all user accounts, here are some more things to try:

a. Do a
    clean boot

b. Reinstall/update your graphics card drivers

c. Perform the SFC / DISM repair methods. Here is a comprehensive article, posted by MVP ZigZag

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & - Microsoft Community :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 27, 2016
  3. File Explorer Takes Ages to Load, Thumbnails Don't Show Up

Hi,

Which build are you using? April Cumulative update 10586.218 has some improvements. Personally, it has improved the performance of my system to a great extent. You may consider updating the system if you're running an older build.

Press WinKey + R and type winver.exe

Press ENTER. Post the Build info here.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 27, 2016
  4. LemonWolf Win User

Also, if I go to "control panel > time, language and region" and click "language", the control panel just becomes unresponsive.

LemonWolf, Dec 27, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Because of other "sticky problems" like yours discussed earlier here on the Forums, you might want to consider performing an in-place upgrade install of your original installation (and language). Then, before you install any further language packs, make a backup so you can roll back to this pristine starting state should you need to. OTOH, you might want to PM Kari who is the reigning expert on language packs around here (he routinely runs 4 of them, if memory serves) and who may be able to offer better advice than this.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 27, 2016
  6. LemonWolf Win User
    Thanks Ed. Sorry for the late reply.

From my earlier days of building windows PC's, I still have a reflex of shying away from re-installing Windows, but thankfully it's a matter of clicking start and doing something else for half an hour nowadays.

Instead of an in-place upgrade, I reformatted just to be safe (and it was a fresh installation anyway), and now everything is working fine.

LemonWolf, Jan 6, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Glad you got yourself squared away. I agree that the "learned reflex" is to avoid reinstalling (or inplace upgrade/repair) but it is a lot faster and easier than it used to be and therefore a much better strategy than it once was. I'm trying to teach myself to watch my time spent chasing problems and to turn to this approach instead if it looks like it's going to take more than an hour. But the thrill of the chase has caused me to take my eye off the clock more than once, so I have to keep reminding myself to "pay attention."
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Settings window takes ages to load language list - Similar Threads - Settings window takes

2. WSL does not load and takes ages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL does not load and takes ages: Hi I have been using WSL from more than an year however from last few weeks my WSL does not launch . I am using the Microsoft Terminal to launch . I have tried updating WSL and restarting windows several times but no luck . Can anyone please help how to fix it ? I dont want...
  3. WSL does not load and takes ages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL does not load and takes ages: Hi I have been using WSL from more than an year however from last few weeks my WSL does not launch . I am using the Microsoft Terminal to launch . I have tried updating WSL and restarting windows several times but no luck . Can anyone please help how to fix it ? I dont want...
  4. WSL does not load and takes ages

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Update page takes AGES to load.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update page takes AGES to load.: Okay, I've HAD it! Today I tried updating my computer to the 20H2 version because of a game I'm playing at the moment that's being glitchy. But tried turning it off for a couple seconds and then back again. Tried pausing it for 7 days and continuing it back again, but the...
  6. Lock screen takes ages to load or doesn't load at all

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen takes ages to load or doesn't load at all: Hi. About a month back, my PC started having an issue, whereby when I press the power button to wake it from sleep, Windows 10's lock screen either takes ages to load and display the time, or doesn't load at all and stays at a blank screen. Specifically, when the lock...
  7. Windows Explorer takes ages to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer takes ages to load: Up until yesterday, Windows Explorer was running fine. Then I accidentally downloaded some adware which must have changed things up a bit. I managed to get rid of the adware, but did so using a program called Revo Uninstaller. Once it had uninstalled the adware, I...
  8. Outlook takes ages to load

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook takes ages to load: Hi all. Ever since I synced my email I have had a problem with all Microsoft sites taking ages to load. Can someone tell my what I can do about this? thanks 25624
  9. Web pages taking ages to finish loading

in Browsers and Email
    Web pages taking ages to finish loading: I use Win10 on a fast broadband connection (100Mbps) will lowish ping rates. I notice that more and more web sites are taking a long time to finish loading. They start very fast indeed, but are incomplete and it can take up to a minute before the screen has finished...
  10. Download folder takes an age to load

in Windows 10 Support
    Download folder takes an age to load: Every other folder in File Explorer opens virtually immediately to show all contents but why does the Download folder have to reload the contents, which takes quite some time, the first time the folder is accessed after switching on. [img] 8226