Windows 10: Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

Discus and support Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I am running BitLocker encryption on two other Win 10 Pro 64Bit desktop computers with HDD's, but can't seem to get my other Win 10 Pro 64Bit... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JeZxLee, Jun 26, 2019.

1. JeZxLee Win User

Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

Hi,

I am running BitLocker encryption on two other Win 10 Pro 64Bit desktop computers with HDD's,
    but can't seem to get my other Win 10 Pro 64Bit desktop with SSD drive to work?

I can get as far as rebooting to test the system with BitLocker,
    but after reboot it says: "BitLocker could not be enabled"?
    (just boots normally to desktop - not asking for BitLocker password like it should)

Any ideas on how to make this BitLocker work on SSD(Solid State Drive) on Win 10 Pro 64Bit?
    Thanks!

Jesse

:)

JeZxLee, Jun 26, 2019
  2. jim_bob64 Win User

Bitlocker On Win 10 pro 64bit

Hi all,

I've been having a bit of trouble trying to get Bitlocker working on my Dad's laptop. He recently bought a new laptop with Win 7 pro and I upgraded it to Win 10. It all went smoothly except now when I'm
    trying to get Bitlocker to encrypt his drive.

It has an ssd but is partitioned already. As far as I can tell it doesn't have the TPM chip as it was a cheapy laptop but I have managed to enable it through GP but when I try to run it I get the message
    in the screenshot below and I can't seem to find much info on it. Some suggest it's to do with partitions and I also ran the BdeHdcfg command to no avail.

Any help to get this encrypted for him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)? 383a80b0-a6a1-4ca8-828f-d928346b64d6.png

jim_bob64, Jun 26, 2019
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

Not Able to Enable Hardware Based Bitlocker Encryption On Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10 Pro)

Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything Microsoft, right? Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)? :)

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?

A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted

B) Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)

C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to slower performance)

How?

We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box. No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain. The only modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)

*Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)

*Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:

When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive. From all of the literature I have read, this prompt indicates Software Encryption. When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt.
    Again, from my reading, Hardware

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:

What am I missing? Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4? Is this an OS issue? Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at? Again, these are stock units, fresh out of
    the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):

Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2015/01/how-to-enable-bitlocker-hardware-encryption-with-ssd/

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831627.aspx

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker

Site Unavailable

Tags Bitlocker, Encryption, Windows 10 Pro, Hardware Encryption, 1511

PhillyPhotogMagee, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

1. Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)? - Similar Threads - Setup BitLocker Encryption

2. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  3. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  4. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  5. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  6. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  7. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  8. Win 10 Pro 1909 64bit setup error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro 1909 64bit setup error: downloaded win 10 pro 1909, ran setup.exe, got error message autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt setup cannot continue. error code [0x7E]. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help in advance....
  9. defragging solid state drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c
  10. Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best setup for system with both Solid State Disk (SSD) and HDD: I hope shortly to receive a "pre-owned" Dell M6800 laptop with a 128GB Solid State Disk (SSD) and a 750GB HDD. It comes with 8.1 installed (shudder) and I will upgrade to 10 immediately as I couldn't tolerate 8 or 8.1. Once I've done that, I'll need to transfer all my...