Windows 10: Setup: Could not create new partition

Discus and support Setup: Could not create new partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Just tried to reinstall my windows. Everything works fine untill I select the drive on which the os should be installed. The error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mefra, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Mefra Win User

Setup: Could not create new partition

Hello everyone,

Just tried to reinstall my windows. Everything works fine untill I select the drive on which the os should be installed. The error "could not create new partition" pops up. Already searched for it on the internet and pretty much the same solution comes up on every site --> diskpart, clean, assign etc... That solution doesn't work. Already tried setting it to unallocated space, system and primary, but none of those have any effect. Also, there are no other partitions on that 128gb SSD. Only 1 other HD from 750gb is installed, but that one has no partitions either.

Anyone has another idea what might go wrong, or a possible work-around?

Btw, I'm 100% sure the USB-stick with the installation is functioning, because my current os was installed from the same usb about 6 months ago.

:)

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016

2. Windows couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one

Remember, when you delete, click New, Windows setup will create a recovery partition and a primary partition. Select the primary partition which is the largest one.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 29, 2016
  3. CraigLong Win User
    CraigLong, Nov 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Remove the connector from the 750GB hard drive so it is disconnected (power or data, doesn't matter). Boot computer from Windows 10 installation USB flash drive, when you get to the point that shows the drives and partitions, you should see only the SSD. Press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt. Run:

Diskpart
    Select Disk 0 (the SSD should be disk 0, if it is not, you can run list disk to see a list of drives and then select disk <disk number> for the SSD)
    Clean - this will erase all the partition information off the SSD
    Convert GPT - sets up the SSD for an install of Windows 10 compatible with UEFI
    Exit - Exit Diskpart
    Exit - Exit command prompt window

Back at the drive and partitions list in Windows 10 setup, click the refresh button, select the unallocated space on the SSD, click Next to install Windows 10 to it. After Windows 10 is installed on the SSD, then you can reconnect the 750GB HDD.

This is all assuming your Windows 10 installation USB flash drive is actually good. If you created it with Rufus, that might be the problem as well. After you get a good, clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD, we highly recommend you create an image of the SSD using Macrium Reflect Free and create a Macrium Reflect Free rescue drive.

With a little bit of creativity, you can create a bootable partition on your 750GB HDD to hold both Windows setup and a rescue image. That's what I have on my dual drive laptop and desktop computers. The primary drives are SSD's, the backup drives are 1TB HDDs, to reinstall Windows all I have to do is select the HDD from the override boot menu in UEFI and it boots into Kyhi's recovery tools. From there I can either run a Windows setup or I can restore a backup image made with Macrium Reflect - either one can be accomplished and finished in about 10 minutes and it is especially important for the laptop because I can do a restore on the road with no external devices required.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2016
  5. Mefra Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Did not try that yet, so I will try after dinner. On a different note, do you happen to have a link on how to create the bootable partition? Sounds like a great idea. And yes, I did use Rufus but if Macrium Reflect works better, I could use that one in the future.

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016
  6. Mefra Win User
    Damn, just tried, and I still have the same problem. Currently working on my laptop, on which I had the same issue. Installed a fresh Ubuntu and that went without any problems. Really strange, makes me think it's the USB, but I've used the same stick like half a year ago.

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016
  7. Fixer Win User
    I advised another poster last week who also was having problems reinstalling, simply to use Reset. He reported back that it had been a bit slow but that it had been completely successful. I've used Reset myself a few times on different computers without problems. It gives you a clean Win 10 install but I do recommend imaging the system before you start, just in case.

Fixer, Nov 29, 2016
  8. Mefra Win User

Unfortunately that is not an option anymore, considering the SSD was already formatted.

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    Is the stick you are using a USB 2 or 3? If it is USB 3 then try using a USB 2. This might be what is causing the problem. See: Solved error - Windows 10 Forums

SoFine409, Nov 29, 2016
  10. Mefra Win User
    Anyone still has an idea? Couldn't be due to some bios setting I assume, considering the USB is detected. Really annoying because I don't have another version of Windows laying around...

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016
  11. Mefra Win User
    It is USB 3, but if that would be the case, why could I install it last time. Besides, it does start the setup, while I think if that would be the case it wouldn't start the setup.

On a sidenote, the setup does not detect the USB when plugged into a USB 3 port, only when I use a USB 2 port

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016
  12. SoFine409 Win User
    please read the thread that I posted, I believe it will explain why it think you need to use a USB 2 stick.

SoFine409, Nov 29, 2016
  13. Mefra Win User

Hmm...considering it is the exact same probleem I will try it anyway. Is it possible to just copy the contents of the USB or do I need to use the iso again? Probably the iso, which is on the hard drive that I can't access right now....

Mefra, Nov 29, 2016
  14. SoFine409 Win User
    I think you should be able to copy the ISO. If that doesn't work then create a fresh one on the USB 2 stick. I hope this solves the problem for you.

SoFine409, Nov 29, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you have a second computer available to recreate the USB flash drive on? Also, you said the 750GB hard drive is blank? Try install the Windows 10 that you have on it, instead of the SSD, at least it will give you something to work with.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Setup: Could not create new partition - Similar Threads - Setup create partition

2. Creating new partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating new partition: I have an Asus ZenBook 14 Laptop. When I went to disk management I don't see any unallocated disk space but when I checked properties of the C: drive only one I have it shows I have 830 GB free. When I try to make a new partition there are only 50 GB available for it. Any...
  3. Creating new partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating new partition: I have an Asus ZenBook 14 Laptop. When I went to disk management I don't see any unallocated disk space but when I checked properties of the C: drive only one I have it shows I have 830 GB free. When I try to make a new partition there are only 50 GB available for it. Any...
  4. Windows Setup couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Setup couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one: [ATTACH]During a clean install of Windows on your device with the Custom option, you may get the error message We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. This post is intended to help affected PC users with solutions and suggestions to get past this...
  5. could not create a new folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    could not create a new folder: could not create a new folder and there is no option if i pressed right mouse button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-create-a-new-folder/48e88fd4-26cd-4ef8-8a04-ccb7c467af6a
  6. Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition

in Windows 10 News
    Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition: [ATTACH]If you encounter the Windows setup error message Setup was unable to create a […] This article Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. We couldn’t create a new partition error during Windows Setup

in Windows 10 News
    We couldn’t create a new partition error during Windows Setup: [ATTACH]If you’re encountering We couldn’t create a new partition error message on your Windows computer while installing Windows 10, then the solution we will present […] This article We couldn’t create a new partition error during Windows Setup first appeared on...
  8. New update creates new partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New update creates new partition: I just noticed after the recent windows update that I now have 2 recovery partitions on my computer and an F drive magically appeared. I can't remove either partition or hide them. Not sure if this is a new windows issue or if my machine is just going crazy. Any help/insight...
  9. New update creates new partition

in Windows 10 Support
    New update creates new partition: I just noticed after the recent windows update that I now have 2 recovery partitions on my computer and an F drive magically appeared. I can't remove either partition or hide them. Not sure if this is a new windows issue or if my machine is just going crazy. Any help/insight...
  10. Setup couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setup couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one!: I downloaded Windows 10 May 2019 update from Microsoft on May 24.. Used the Media Creation Tool to create installation media (USB drive). I used DISKPART to clean drive and put it in “uninitialized state”. Regardless of attempts to do clean install on either HD or SSD,...