Windows 10: Setup failed to validate the product key

Discus and support Setup failed to validate the product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade windows 7 premium to windows 10. when I run setup I get the message: Setup failed to validate the product key. I have run the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GuyGiroux1, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Setup failed to validate the product key

I am trying to upgrade windows 7 premium to windows 10. when I run setup I get the message:

Setup failed to validate the product key.

I have run the troubleshooter and get the following error message:

windows update error 0x800F081

any help greatly appreciated...

:)

GuyGiroux1, Sep 20, 2018
  2. GeorgeB2B Win User

Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

I had already tried most of the suggestions on

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-setup-...

None of them worked.

Thanks for the help.

George

GeorgeB2B, Sep 20, 2018
  3. pjn228 Win User
    Setup Has failed to validate the product key

I am trying to upgrade from Windows 1511 10586.420 to later insider previews. I did a clean install of this from a dowloaded iso- overwriting a previous Windows 10 install. I have a valid key which is activated. I even entered it again and reactivated
    it to make sure. I have a valid insider login and have logged in successfully. The computer is listed on my list of recognized ones.

My insider setting are set to receive preview updates, and I am set on "fast"

However, no upgrades at all have happened and my status says "up to date"

So I downloaded the 14366 Iso from MS ---thinking I could update that way. Opening it from within windows 10 and double clicking startup exe, the program runs, but then stops saying "Something has happened, setup failed to validate this product key.

I have tried everything I can think of, - cleared softwareupdate downloads, deleted softwareupdate.old, restarted updates,

nothing seems to work.

I know there was a downloadable "fix" for this problem with Windows 8, can someone help me with this?

pjn228, Sep 20, 2018
  4. Setup failed to validate the product key

Windows 10 Setup failed to validate product key that was not entered

Back in 2016, I opted for the free upgrade to Windows 10. After activating it and using it for a day or two, I decided to revert back to my current Windows 7 OS. Now I'm trying to upgrade but the setup keeps failing.

Because I upgraded and activated it before, I have a digital license. The Media Creation Tool used to install Windows 10 doesn't have me enter a product key because of that - I understand that much.

Unfortunately, after waiting 30 minutes to an hour for Windows 10 to download - which it always finishes - it fails before the actual installation can start. The loading bar flashes by and then a screen comes up saying, "Windows 10 Setup: Setup has failed
    to validate the product key." And my only option is to close out of the window.

It never has me enter a product key because I have a digital license, so I guess my digital license can't be validated? This is rather frustrating and I have not found anyone with a similar issue. Any advice?

LushTurtle32240, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

Setup failed to validate the product key

1. Setup failed to validate the product key - Similar Threads - Setup failed validate

2. Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.: I'm trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I keep getting this error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key....
  3. Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.: I'm trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I keep getting this error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key....
  4. Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Setup Has Failed to Validate the Product Key

Windows 10 Setup Has Failed to Validate the Product Key: while upgrading windows 10 1809 to LTSC getting the below error " Setup has failed to validate the product key" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-setup-has-failed-to-validate-the/08ae193e-3cb4-4757-baf0-499bba0229d0
  6. Windows 10 Setup has failed to validate the product key

Windows 10 Setup has failed to validate the product key: Hello, I just got a new computer and it has Windows 10 Home on it. I'm trying to download windows 10 Pro but whenever I run setup it says that it failed to validate the product key, even though Windows is activated. How do I fix this?...
  7. Setup has failed to validate the product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setup has failed to validate the product key: how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-has-failed-to-validate-the-product-key/a8aecc05-6bcd-4cec-83eb-d67816fa959b"
  8. Windows 10 setup failed to validate product key.

Windows 10 setup failed to validate product key.: Ive been trying to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 from windows 7 32bit, i have license and a product key. i followed the instructions came with the email to install the software, but it only went through until setting up windows 10, then it gives me a notification that the...
  9. Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

Error Message: Failed to validate the product key: I have been trying to recover my girlfriend's Toshiba Satellite notebook computer. This computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and several years ago, when Win 10 was offered for free, I successfully installed Windows 10 on this machine. Recently, the...
  10. Windows 10 Setup failed to validate product key that was not entered

Windows 10 Setup failed to validate product key that was not entered: Back in 2016, I opted for the free upgrade to Windows 10. After activating it and using it for a day or two, I decided to revert back to my current Windows 7 OS. Now I'm trying to upgrade but the setup keeps failing. Because I upgraded and activated it before, I have a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup /pkey failed to validate the product key